RAF DC - 4

So, apologies in advance; although the RAF did operate the DC-4 in small numbers as VIP transport it was a short lived affair. This is my interpretation of what one might have looked like if it had lumbered on into the 60s as a general workhorse. As far as I know the DC-4 / C54 never operated in this livery so I’ve based it on various sources, particularly the DC-3 operated by Air Atlantique. I made a few modifications on the windows, mainly because I messed them up; what’s the point of a whiff if you can’t cover your mistakes and pass it off as “artistic licence”?

Regarding the kit, I can’t say I’m a big fan. It felt as though it fought me the whole way, given the amount of flash on the smaller parts and the sheer over engineering and poor fit of some of the engine and undercarriage parts. I can’t help but wonder how much staying power it will have as a mould given these issues on its second release a few years after creation. Also, some of the instructions are confusing in a way that would impress even Accurate Minatures.

Here it is anyway, warts and all. I’m reasonably pleased with it overall, although I’m wincing a bit at how badly I’ve faired in the nose. Never mind, it’s done now.

*Edit - going to do something about that nose seam. It’s really annoying me now.

40691384653_de3991481b_b.jpg

47605171742_3aab9c6890_b.jpg

32715389137_57889e5ea0_b.jpg

46933923494_31a62f69e4_b.jpg

40691387343_636278f848_b.jpg

47605170312_ac92d1f25e_b.jpg

Cheers, Liam

• Like 30

It looks very natural in those markings - well-done! As I've said on quite a few occasions on this site, American aircraft always look better in British markings.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Quite impressive. And it does look good despite the 'what might have been' look, I have started a Revell DC-4 and its been abandoned fro the same reasons you mention re the instructions and it being an over engineered kit. I may well go back to it one day and finish it before any more bits fall off it while in storage on the shelf of doom...

• Thanks 1

She looks GREAT!! Regardless of "artistic license" or completely accurate. She looks like an old bird well utilized. A job well done! The 1/72 scale Revell DC-4/C-54 kit is catching on, I think. Seeing more fine builds out there. Yours is certainly fine! :clap:

• Thanks 1