Italeri 1:72 T-45 Goshawk

twp1

Hi,

I'm hoping to start a build of 2 of Italeri's T-45 Goshawk.  I purchased Caracal Models decal sheet which states that Fine Scale Modeler issue October 2009 contains a detailed article describing the necessary modifications to make the kit more accurate by addressing the incorrect wing tips and missing ventral fin. So far, an internet search has drawn a blank on this article. 

Would anyone have either a link or the ability to send me a pdf of this article so I can complete the changes without too much guess work and giving me half a chance of doing it right first time?

Thanks!

As I recall, there are a lot more significant corrections that would need to be made to the Italeri/Wolfpack T-45 kit to make it an accurate model. IIRC, the kit as it comes is only accurate for the prototype T-45A, as it has none of the aerodynamic modifications made later for the operational aircraft. I remember reading a build article that contained excellent and detailed text and photos used to build an accurate T-45C...basically throw everything away except the canopy and build a T-45 around it! The finished model was incredible, but 'way beyond my skills, so I gave up any idea of building a T-45 until a better kit was released. I will try to find the article or at least tell you where to find it. I do recall that the nose and lower fuselage contours had to be made deeper to house the twin wheel nose gear as well as bulging the lower fuselage at the  main gear bays to house the fatter wheels and tires fitted, in addition to numerous other mods to the wings, wing tips, stabilizers, etc.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

1 hour ago, Kevin Callahan said:

Personally I'm still waiting for Italeri's promised repop of the T-45 so I can do the two CONA planes that Draw Decals does markings for. But it is taking forever for them to get around d to it. 

I've got two Italeri T-45s squirrelled away, one of which at least is destined for a sheet of Draw decals CONA scheme (I like the blue tailed one. :) )  The other in a service scheme. @Creepy Pete, any chance of a scan of those improvements too. I know there is some work required on the wings leading edges.

Steve.

Whilst it is not in 1/72, this article by Meindert on converting the Revell 1/32 Hawk into a T-45 Goshawk may be of use to you.

I remember at one time Airfix promised a T-45 kit in 1/72. I'm surprised they don't do it as I think it would be a good seller on both sides of the pond.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

We could do with decent 1/72nd kits of the T-45 and the Hawk 200 to go with the various T.1/100 models that have been released.

+1 for a Hawk 200.  Some great schemes to go with the punchy looking single-seat Hawk

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 9:07 AM, Nigel Bunker said:

I remember at one time Airfix promised a T-45 kit in 1/72. I'm surprised they don't do it as I think it would be a good seller on both sides of the pond.

That promise must‘ve been in 1991 or so, with a photo in the catalog... I guess they realised they couldn’t simply tweak it out of their legacy Hawk...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 4/29/2019 at 12:20 AM, TBP1538 said:

I tackled this conversion a few years ago. Fairly straight forward iirc. Here's a link... http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/289680-172-t-45c-goshawk/

Funnily enough, I found that I'd already bookmarked that, a really nice build. I'm keen to do one of mine in the retro scheme done for the CONA a few years ago. I've some Draw decals for it.

Steve.