On 7th October 1940 Pilot Officer Ken Mackenzie was chasing a damaged Messerschmitt Bf 109 over the south coast. Having used up all his ammunition, he was determined not to let the Luftwaffe fighter limp back to France, only to threaten his RAF comrades another day. Maneuvering his Hurricane close to the low flying 109, he used his wing tip to sever the port stabilizer of the Messerschmitt, sending it spinning into the sea and taking the outer section of his own wing with it. He was then set upon by two more 109s and sustaining damage to his Hurricane, just managed to avoid cliffs near Folkestone and belly land his fighter in the first field he saw.

For this historic event I used the Airfix scale 1/48 Hurricane Mk.I, the one with the actual maneuvre on the box art. The kit itself is a real joy to built.

Hope you like.

OD_hurricane_11_full.jpg

OD_hurricane_01_full.jpg

OD_hurricane_12_full.jpg

OD_hurricane_09_full.jpg

OD_hurricane_02_full.jpg

• Like 36

Very neatly done.

here's the real thing 

be46ef62933e92e9fa701d37c69a93c0.jpg

a couple of detail points,  which maybe fixable, which is why I'm mentioning them

The inside of the flaps should be aluminium paint, like the rest of the insides.

The prop is a Rotol unit, the blades are compressed wood.

they don't bend, but shatter off, as seen here

Hurricane_of_No_17_Squadron_YB-C_crash_l

the added detail of the wingtip and open fuselage panel is excellent, 

great work, :goodjob:

cheers

T

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Very neatly done.

here's the real thing 

be46ef62933e92e9fa701d37c69a93c0.jpg

a couple of detail points,  which maybe fixable, which is why I'm mentioning them

The inside of the flaps should be aluminium paint, like the rest of the insides.

The prop is a Rotol unit, the blades are compressed wood.

they don't bend, but shatter off, as seen here

Hurricane_of_No_17_Squadron_YB-C_crash_l

the added detail of the wingtip and open fuselage panel is excellent, 

great work, :goodjob:

cheers

T

Thanks for the feedback Troy Smith. Once again for me, there can never be enough research. I was aware of the  Rotol blades, but not of specific composition of them.

alternative_facts.jpg

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lovely Hurricane indeed. A little known fact about the early Rotol units was that the early blades were actually metal and not the usual compressed wood. There are pictures of 54 Squadron force landed Spitfires at Dunkirk with bent metal Rotol blades. 54 Squadron were tasked with operational trials of the Rotols during mid 1940. There is also a picture of a 249 Squadron Hurricane that was force landed around October 1940 by it`s pilot ( Perrin or Bouquillard ) with a Rotol prop that had metal blades. So unless there is a frontal view of V6799, you could get away with leaving your model as is.....

21 hours ago, one of the few said:

A lovely Hurricane indeed. A little known fact about the early Rotol units was that the early blades were actually metal and not the usual compressed wood. There are pictures of 54 Squadron force landed Spitfires at Dunkirk with bent metal Rotol blades. 54 Squadron were tasked with operational trials of the Rotols during mid 1940. There is also a picture of a 249 Squadron Hurricane that was force landed around October 1940 by it`s pilot ( Perrin or Bouquillard ) with a Rotol prop that had metal blades. So unless there is a frontal view of V6799, you could get away with leaving your model as is.....

Thanks, I take my chances 🙂