Tarangus JA-37 Viggen "Petter Gul" 37411

Hoops

Good Afternoon,

Here's a bit of work in progress with the new tool 1/72 Viggen kit. Released by Tarangus already in the JA version, coming soon from Special Hobby in other versions as well. I will be building this as "Petter Gul" the airshow demonstration aircraft for the Swedish Air Force in 2003. This is how the aircraft will look when completed:

44197479330_3da7d2902b_b.jpgPetter Gul by J Hooper, on Flickr

But there is a lot of work to get there in the first place.

As the underside will prominently the feature the "Mustang" logo, I decided to build this aircraft in flight. The fit of the main gear doors was close but needed some good filling, smoothing and rescribing for affect. The nose gear doors are admirably thin in the kit, so it was not practical to use them for this conversion. I decided it would be much easier to simply use a piece of 1mm thick Evergreen styrene and shape to match the fuselage profile.

Photos taken with my mobile phone, so nothing amazing:

47604091402_62d90fb265_b.jpg20190421_143508 by J Hooper, on Flickr

Other modifications visible on the bottom include:

1. Adding the Jet Fuel Starter exhaust between the pylon and the gun pod.

2. Filling the indents for the lower beacon lights (not present on the JA)

3. Adding the small flat antenna just behind the nose cone

4. Smoothing the transition to the lower air brakes

5. Filling the indent behind the main gear doors

6. Adding the diamond plate that connects the two flaps on the JA

7. Adding a tube to accept the clear acrylic rod to display in flight. To position this where I wanted it and minimize impact I shortened the depth of the exhaust.

Edited by Hoops
Correcting dates
  • Like 11

There were some other tweaks necessary to fix some of the bigger errors on the kit.

33779508908_8a44316963_b.jpg20190421_143317 by J Hooper, on Flickr

Some of these fixes included:

1. Adding the missing panel line on the front of the nose radome

2. Filling the wedge and sanding of the square off the sides of the exhaust shroud

3. Adding panel lines on the sides of the vertical tail. The line drawings in the kit are wrong and I made the mistake of using those without checking my references first. for that reason, the newly scribed lines were filled in again on the port side.

4. Adding panel lines to the forward pylons

5. Sanding flat the formation light frames on the intakes. I replaced these with a small piece of .12mm sheet.

6. Adding the circular panels on the bottom of the canards. I think these are RADALT antennas.

7. Opening the aft ends of all the fuselage vents.

8. Adding the two lines of five vent holes on the top of the exhaust shroud.

9. Adding the RWR antenna on the tail tip, I just used a hemispherical sprue end from the kit.

10. Fill the square panel on the starboard side of the nose (not present on the JA).

11. Adding the same diamonds on the top of the flaps as below.

32714313487_ef34e17d7d_b.jpg20190421_143407 by J Hooper, on Flickr

Edited by Hoops
  • Like 7

32714312827_dc4d2fe0b0_b.jpg20190421_143526 by J Hooper, on Flickr

The fit of the air brakes on the fuselage sides was not very good, and I used sheet styrene and putty to fill. The fuselage vents also needed a bit help.

I added the the "fingers" and vortex generators on the exhaust sides as well as thinning the aft edge of the cutouts.

Short pieces of wire were added to the drop tank to strengthen the attachment to the bottom of the gun fairing. As molded they don't mate too well, so I sanded the "lugs" off the top of the tank and it works much better now.

The bit of filler required between the fore and aft fuselage section is my fault. I was sanding the edge of the spacer to match the forward fuselage, and accidently wound up tapering the aft edges a bit. As a result the two halves didn't wind up matching once assembled.

There were a couple of small sink marks on the top of the flaps, but nothing bad. Quickly fixed with a bit of filler.

Edited by Hoops
  • Like 6

Following closely!

:thumbsup:

I saw this one perform at Zeltweg/ Austria in maybe 2003!

E er since I am hoping for decals... actually I plan to do one in take off- cycle configuration, slughtly banking....

Guess why, there is a photo of it e actly like this.... :)

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Paint progress, here is a photo with the chevrons masked off before applying the top camouflage pattern:

33989025078_d95994eb63_b.jpg20190515_175703[1] by J Hooper, on Flickr

And some updated photos after the basic painting and clean up is complete:

47866349861_734e229d9f_b.jpg20190517_111846[1] by J Hooper, on Flickr

47076832354_945c753b4b_b.jpg20190517_111914[1] by J Hooper, on Flickr

47866354401_4b835d217e_b.jpg20190517_111859[1] by J Hooper, on Flickr

It needs some touch up and detail painting still, then a bit of weathering and a clearcoat before starting with decals.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Hoops

• Like 10

On 5/17/2019 at 6:25 PM, Silenoz said:

Very nice choise of "camo". Are those decals in the kit or aftermarket?

I'll be using the Tarangus Kit stencils as they are pretty good, but that's it.

On 5/17/2019 at 6:27 PM, exdraken said:

looking great!

@Silenoz

unfortunately there are no decals for this scheme out there as far as I know!!

Anders Nowotny did this sheet on an ALPS printer for his Red Bolt line way back when. It does not include the mustang logo on the bottom or the sides as initially the actual aircraft didn't have them either. I've heard there was a later second addendum sheet that included these elements, but I've never actually seen it.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/red-bolt-decals-ano-720116-saab-37-jaktviggen--209090

Nothing yet, but I do have hopes we'll see aftermarket decals for this aircraft. Maybe in the fall, good thing I build slow.

Edited by Hoops
fix spelling

On 4/22/2019 at 4:40 AM, exdraken said:

Following closely!

:thumbsup:

I saw this one perform at Zeltweg/ Austria in maybe 2003!

E er since I am hoping for decals... actually I plan to do one in take off- cycle configuration, slughtly banking....

Guess why, there is a photo of it e actly like this.... :)

This photo, perhaps?

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden-Air-Force/Saab-JA37D-Viggen/377751/L

A great one to be sure!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hoops said:

This photo, perhaps?

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden-Air-Force/Saab-JA37D-Viggen/377751/L

A great one to be sure!

thanks! yes, there are actually several similar oe out there, I have my one, pre-dig. and very low quality slide also somewhere.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden-Air-Force/Saab-JA37D-Viggen/739958/L

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden-Air-Force/Saab-JA37D-Viggen/376792/L

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden-Air-Force/Saab-JA37D-Viggen/374781/L

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 2

I lightened the colors inside the panels on the top and bottom and did some light staining with Tamiya Smoke.

A clear coat was applied with Future Floor Wax, and it is now ready for decals. For now I'll just be adding stencils.

47083739174_b9f788d097_b.jpg20190518_151043 by J Hooper, on Flickr

40906592723_30f8d4d641_b.jpg20190518_151011 by J Hooper, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,

Hoops

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I have added the stencil decals, but there is not much to see. I've been on travel pretty much constantly since the first day of June, and won't be back home until the end of August. Not much modeling in the mean time.

Decals for Petter Gul to be released by Wolfpak for the US IPMS Nationals in August. These will finish out this aircraft.

Preview on ARC

Cheers,

Hoops

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoops said:

I have added the stencil decals, but there is not much to see. I've been on travel pretty much constantly since the first day of June, and won't be back home until the end of August. Not much modeling in the mean time.

Decals for Petter Gul to be released by Wolfpak for the US IPMS Nationals in August. These will finish out this aircraft.

Preview on ARC

Cheers,

Hoops

great!

are we talking 1/72 or 1/48 here?

I always assume 48, but of course I could be very wrong here! ;)

Looking sweet,
May I ask which scale JA 37 you are doing?

If it's 1/48 I would like to know if you are using decals for the big mustang logo. I'm not aware that their exist any decals of Petter Gul in 1/48.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flarpen said:

Looking sweet,
May I ask which scale JA 37 you are doing?

If it's 1/48 I would like to know if you are using decals for the big mustang logo. I'm not aware that their exist any decals of Petter Gul in 1/48.

Sorry, I realized that I didn't put scale anywhere in the description. It's the 1/72 scale kit, and I'll be using the Wolfpak decals to complete the build when it comes out in August.

Cheers!

Hoops

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hoops said:

Sorry, I realized that I didn't put scale anywhere in the description. It's the 1/72 scale kit, and I'll be using the Wolfpak decals to complete the build when it comes out in August.

Cheers!

Hoops

Thanks
I was kind of hoping it was in 1/48 and there was decals for Petter Gul coming out in 48 scale.

Still, you are doing a great job with real attention to the details.

/Johan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2019 at 12:30 AM, Hoops said:

Cheers!

Hoops

Any news on the decals?

And progress of course?

Thanks!

On 9/9/2019 at 3:44 AM, exdraken said:

Any news on the decals?

And progress of course?

Thanks!

exdraken,

Because of travel for work, during the entire months of May, June, and July I was at home for a total of about 10 days, so not much progress was made. The decals are on their way to me now, and will hopefully be here shortly.

I've got to get to the local wood shop make a nice base for it. Complete the decals, weather and clear coat. Not much left to do, but I promise to keep you updated. In the mean time I'm rescribing and building a Hasegawa A-10C in 1/72.

Cheers!

Hoops

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The decals got here a couple of weeks ago and I took the opportunity to do some work on the Viggen tonight.

Concerning the decals themselves, the printing turned out great and the details are amazing. I am not completely satisfied with how two of the colors came out though. The orange for the numbers on the tail is a bit too bright for me. I think it should be darker and a bit more reddish. The dark grey for the mustang and other artwork is not dark enough either. It should be very very close to black. Not quite, but almost. Both of these are close but not quite there in my opinion.

I've been decaling a Hasegawa F-14B with some other Wolfpak markings recently (VF-102 from this sheet: 72-101) And they have proven to be stiff, a bit brittle and didn't respond to MicroSol at all. The finally did seem to work with Mr. Mark Softer, but only then with quite a bit of work. For whatever reason, whatever Fantasy Printshop was doing at the time didn't work out so well. With that in mind I embarked on tonight's decal session with some trepidation.

Any concerns however, quickly evaporated, as these decals performed wonderfully.

The first photo shows the top, nothing challenging here, but it's nice to have this portion complete:

48820216933_ac9bdf5cfc_b.jpg20190930_210442 by J Hooper, on Flickr

There is a bit of silvering on a few of the decals, but I'll continue to work on those. I wound up using the Tarangus kit decals for the roundels and the formation lights. The roundels are fine, but I'll find a better source for the formation lights next time around. The color is a bit off and the printing was a bit misaligned.

Edited by Hoops
  • Like 3

I only added the two largest and most complicated decals to the bottom so far, but they snugged down nicely and met all the curves fairly well. I cut open around the actuator fairing a bit more to make sure it had plenty of space while positioning.

The decals didn't quite extend far enough to compensate for the fuselage curves on the bottom of the circle. As there are some things (actuators for example) that will have be touched up with paint anyway, this gap will simply be added to the list. No big deal. It could have been a bit better, but I'm pretty satisfied with how the fit turned out.

48820575336_d4b11c8a14_b.jpg20190930_210526 by J Hooper, on Flickr

Cheers, and all for now!

Hoops

Edited by Hoops
Spelling
  • Like 5