Trumpeter 1/16 Panther G Early (Take Two)

Here it is with a rough 3 color camo scheme for under the white wash. Hopefully the markings get applied tomorrow and then it's the

hairspray and toothbrush attack. I used faded Olive Green and some faded Red Brown to make things lighter so not as much

peeks through the thin white wash. I'll also try not to remove as much as usual with the toothbrush.

The turret shell is removable, that's why the little gap on each side at the front. Tried to close it up but it's too contrary.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 2

Mounted the radio equipment to the top of the transmission a la King Tiger. It's dumb to have

it hanging from the roof where nothing can be seen. The upper hull is still removable without

disturbing the radio and it looks much better, or would with some light weathering that is.

Yes I went back and filled that big punch out, missed that one.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by BlackMax12

Following this build with great interest, as I'm building this kit at the moment. Don't like the sound of all those guide horns, with their potential for alignment problems, so may look for some aftermarket tracks, even though they can be quite expensive.

I'm not as fast a worker  as you, Lloyd, but I'll get there in the end !

Edited by Starfighter

Nearly complete. Needs some brown and black washes and of course some track work and that's it. I had to strip the sides of the turret

and re-paint as I wasn't happy with the way the decals peeled when I did the white wash the first time. Strip, sand, paint black primer, paint dark yellow

and the green/brown camo then decals again over gloss coat then hairspray and white and finally scuff the heck out of it without killing the

decals this time. What a pain but it looks better now. No side skirts and left the sheet metal covers off the exhausts for something different.

Got a ton of Vallejo Black Thick Mud all over the running gear and lower hull but mostly all hidden with the tracks on. Fabulous stuff and dries

hard as rock so got to watch where it goes. The tracks will get some and probably a little on the wheels, especially the inners.

Also threw in some pics of Panther #1 which is nearly finished, just needs some more dust to try to lighten it a bit. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1

Wow, they look really nice ! If my Panther turns out half as good as these I'll be more than happy. I'm still working on the hull of my model . . . I'm not a very fast worker, but slow and sure is my motto 🙂   :cheers:

Thanks Rob

I went back to that Takom Jagdpanther G1 with the interior today. Is it ever small after a

month with the 1/16 Panther.

Panther not quite finished but need a change of scenery for a bit.

Lloyd

Did some work on the tracks, well one one track, the left side only for now. Haven't done anything with the spare tracks yet.

I was going to put some of that thick black mud on the wheels and tracks but if I goof then it's impossible to remove so

I think the lower sides of the hull are ok for that stuff, not that it can really be seen. Yes I know there is a gap at the front on the

glacis and gaps where the sponsons don't quite meet the upper hull on each side. In order to make the upper hull removable then 

the gaps become a fact of life. My first 1/16 Panther is the same and I don't notice any longer. Well since that one has side

skirts then the gaps on the sides are hidden.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

Thanks Jack

I don't know about a Panther battalion but I do want the 1/16 Late Panther G when Trumpeter decides to release it.

I would really like a 1/16 Jagdpanther but the Tamiya kit is too expensive and too toy-like so all I can hope is that just maybe Trumpeter will

do one with the full interior. I'll grab one of two of those right quick. 

I pulled those tracks off this Panther last night and stripped them down to bare to start over with paint and weathering. I had

used Tamiya Dark Iron as a base and wasn't thrilled with the result, fortunately I had only worked on the left track. Now they

will get a NATO black/brown/red mix and I'll try the weathering again.  This time a little more muddy maybe.

Take care,

Lloyd

On 5/24/2019 at 1:42 AM, BlackMax12 said:

Did some work on the tracks, well one one track, the left side only for now. Haven't done anything with the spare tracks yet.

I was going to put some of that thick black mud on the wheels and tracks but if I goof then it's impossible to remove so

I think the lower sides of the hull are ok for that stuff, not that it can really be seen. Yes I know there is a gap at the front on the

glacis and gaps where the sponsons don't quite meet the upper hull on each side. In order to make the upper hull removable then 

the gaps become a fact of life. My first 1/16 Panther is the same and I don't notice any longer. Well since that one has side

skirts then the gaps on the sides are hidden.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I checked my model, and the gaps on the side sponsons are not as pronounced as yours, but as I'm intending to have the top removable I sanded down the undersides of the sponsons and bevelled the edge slightly, so it's not very noticeable now.

As you say, if I was fitting the skirts I wouldn't bother, but I prefer the look without them, plus you get a better view of the nice Taigen metal tracks that I've just bought !:cheers:

I think the big support for the upper deck that goes across behind the driver & radio operator's seats might be a touch too high or too wide and it's holding the upper hull

up too high. The main bulkhead in front of the engine might be doing the same. I haven't worked on either but I may spend some time to see if I can

get the upper hull down further. The gap isn't that noticeable until you take low angle pictures then it really sticks out.  

I haven't painted the side skirts but may do so and install some of them to cover the worst of the gaps if I can't fix them. I do like the look better

without the skirts too as it shows off the tracks and lower hull sides better.

Actually a strip of Evergreen styrene glued to the lower edge of the upper hull sides would hide the gaps. I'll try some of that this aft.

More painting and weathering involved for that but whatever. The gap isn't bad on the right side but it's not good on the left.

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

I think my forward bulkhead is OK, but I might have another look at the one for the engine bay. Also, I've got to do some work on the back of the tank, as I've found it a VERY tight fit, so out with the files and wet & dry paper . . . we'll get there in the end !  :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to put the side skirts on as I couldn't get the gaps to close up between the upper

hull and the sponsons. If the upper and lower hull were glued together then all would be 

fine but I want the upper hull removable, so hide the bad.

Otherwise, it's almost complete.  Raining so no outside pics and of course the fluorescents give

everything a green cast. It's not green.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Perhaps I'm lucky, but I've managed to achieve a good fit with the top half of the hull, so only  very small gaps  appear. Mind you, fitting the engine was a pig, as the side " Springs" on the engine got in the way, and the oil ? tank prevented the engine sitting properly on it's bearers, so as it was invisible anyway it ended up in the bin !

The fit problems may be down to me, but the instruction diagrams are very confusing in some areas

Really nice job mate..........overall nice subtlety to the pant job. I'm still not sure for me anyway a full interior kit will find it's way to my bench. I wish one of these manufacturers would also sell some sort of display set up to show it in layers........I saw one once someone built themselves for a show........each layer held a couple of inches above one another.

Anyway......really great job......:thumbsup: