Revell 1/48 F-89 Scorpion

comengtract

Hi,

I've just taken a punt on buying one of these kits as it was going relatively cheap!

Has anyone built this kit and what advice would you give because there are only a few Youtube videos available and none of these appear to be very illuminating?

Also. what aftermarket items are available?

• Like 1

There is very little aftermarket I have seen for it. Have seen a couple built up by friends and it looks nice, and apparently builds up well.

Julien

• Like 1

8 hours ago, comengtract said:

Hi,

I've just taken a punt on buying one of these kits as it was going relatively cheap!

Has anyone built this kit and what advice would you give because there are only a few Youtube videos available and none of these appear to be very illuminating?

Also. what aftermarket items are available?

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q="Northrop+F-89+Scorpion"&fkSCALE[]="1:48"

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

It scrubs up OK.

c1ab9ff8-926c-42b8-8a3e-2cd2f870bd14.jpg

No real issues. No aftermarket. I did customise the decal sheet to get the result I wanted. 132 Sqn Maine ANG.

Photos dont really do that model Justice, it looks better and more imposing in real life.

Julien

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I built one years ago and it was 'OK' though the silver plastic was difficult (as it always is in silver plastic) when fixing and puttying joins etc.

IMHO however the (poor) crew figures looked massively over-scale for 1/48 and put them about 7' tall in scale !

Julien is quite right too in that there is hardly any AM stuff for it. 

Gary

10 hours ago, Julien said:

Photos dont really do that model Justice, it looks better and more imposing in real life.

Roger that! Been up close and personal with the one preserved here at Lackland AB, and it is one BIG airplane! See the 1st link on what she looked like in 1989 at Lackland- then see the 2d link for what she looked like in 1989, and the third link shows  her at Stinson Field in 2009. I don't know why they moved her there or what she looks like now....I hope she has been restored. I'll see if I can find out more if any are interested. Sometimes these museum groups get non-profit/museum status, which qualifies them, I guess, to receive aircraft via the Air Force Museum or Smithsonian, but oftentimes their reach exceeds their grasp, and the aircraft end up deteriorating and have to be taken back. 

Mike

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1368034

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/Northrop-EF-89A-Scorpion/1345033/L

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1367237

Found her history, sad as it is. A  rare Scorpion that deserves a much better fate! I am ashamed of what Lackland AB and the USAF Museum have allowed to happen to this very rare and significant jet. (As we say here in TX, "Hangin's too good for them thar low-down sidewinders!")

Edited by 72modeler
added text and links
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2019 at 2:53 AM, bentwaters81tfw said:

It scrubs up OK.

c1ab9ff8-926c-42b8-8a3e-2cd2f870bd14.jpg

No real issues. No aftermarket. I did customise the decal sheet to get the result I wanted. 132 Sqn Maine ANG.

I believe that is a Revell 1/72 scale kit, not the 1/48, unless you removed the raised detail and rescribed all the panel lines. The 1/48 version has raised panel lines.

7 hours ago, mstorin said:

I believe that is a Revell 1/72 scale kit, not the 1/48, unless you removed the raised detail and rescribed all the panel lines. The 1/48 version has raised panel lines.

That is 1/48, I built it last year, and  I did not rescribe it.

If my memory serves me correctly, Eduard did produce (around late 1990s) a photo etch set in 1/48 but, you'll have to search for it on Ebay.

The kit as it is, is very beautiful and big!!! Don't ask me about any accuracy issues though because I have no idea if there are any!!😄

Check this Italian guy on Ebay, he might have it as a combo with other Eduard sets https://www.ebay.com/usr/dioramamodelsimport?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Cheers

Bill

This one has been on my list for years, because my uncle flew F-89Ds with the 460th FIS. Fox 3 Studios sold some corrected wingtip tanks for this kit. I can't recall exactly what Revell did to make the kit tanks wrong, but I think it was the way the "muzzles" for the missile tubes were represented. I don't know if Gerry is still trading, but you can try contacting him at gmasher AT netzero DOT net. All of his products are very reasonably priced.

Ben

On 4/23/2019 at 5:42 AM, bentwaters81tfw said:

That is 1/48, I built it last year, and  I did not rescribe it.

Really? I didn't know they released an F-89 with recessed panel lines. All the ones I have read about have raised panel lines. Can you point me to the specific version kit you got? I'd love to do an F-89, just didn't want to deal with raised panel lines.

5 hours ago, mstorin said:

Really? I didn't know they released an F-89 with recessed panel lines. All the ones I have read about have raised panel lines. Can you point me to the specific version kit you got? I'd love to do an F-89, just didn't want to deal with raised panel lines.

It has got raised panel lines. I never worry about them. They are very subtle. It's sprayed with automotive paint from rattle cans and coated with Kleer.

• Like 1

On 23/04/2019 at 03:59, mstorin said:

It is 1/48 as I have seen it, its also massive and not rescribed. There is nothing wrong with the raised panel lines on those monogram kits. Just build them properly and if needed they are easy to re-add if you sand them off. 

6 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

It has got raised panel lines. I never worry about them. They are very subtle. It's sprayed with automotive paint from rattle cans and coated with Kleer.

OK, thanks. Yours really looks great. Beautiful finish.

• Thanks 1

Hi, which of the Revell kits did you get? There is an F-89C and an F-89D/J. The F-89C has wingtip fuel tanks, the F-89D/J has the big combined fuel tank / missile pods.

Ages ago I built the F-89C version of this kit. I thought it was solid, well engineered, and went together without any real issues. It had raised panels which suited me as I finished about 90% of the model in silver foil. The main problem with the kit was the decals. They were really tough, they literally were like cellophane and I looked for AM decals but (back then) there were no available decals for the F-89C. There were once two Aeromaster sets but they seem to be long out of supply.

The final result here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234913306-revell-148th-f-89c-scorpion/&tab=comments#comment-970809

Michael

Hi,

I built the F-89D model quite a long time ago (before digital cameras...).

First model I rescribed (and that was entertaining).

You can check it there: http://modelingmadness.com/review/korean/privatf89.htm

spacer.png

I then received a very nice mail from a gentlman whose father crash landed this very F-89D, with pictures and all.

Cheers,

Sebastien

• Like 2