Junkers Ju-52 Aeroposta Argentina, Italeri 1/72 conversion

Photos show two instrument faces on each cowl facing the cockpit, so two alu disks are punched and glued, and the the instrument decals prepared. The kit's engine fuel gauges are inaccurate thus two are scratched. Another pin-like detail is added right in front of the windshield:

IMG_4455+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

Must have been interesting doing that...

Still can't get used to those outward facing engines.

Stuart 

Well, predictably, lost a drill bit.

And yes, you have to keep your hand from trying to right those wing engines. But it's part of the plane's clunky charm.

Cheers

• Like 1

Yet another interesting build, Moa. 

And, may I have your permission to sully your Aerp Commander RFI with an interesting photo of an Aero Commander from my distant past?

Dennis 

• Thanks 1

Okay then.  Many tears ago I lived and worked on an island in the Bahamas. Down the road from us, and on the beach, was a derelict Aero Commander that had attempted to land on the beach some time in the late 70s. In the photo, the plane is pointing south.  Apparently, it was on a northerly direction but developed engine troubles, note the feathered prop, did a 180 and the pilot put it down on the beach.  The “cargo” either disappeared into the local economy or was stashed and collected later.  The details were hazy as no one wanted discuss the incident.  

The area was a regular corridor for low flying aircraft from down south.  This one was just one of several that had put down in the area.  

Dennis 

resized_e01fe345-24e6-4e2e-b6b2-bce3c2d1

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Moa said:

Not military, though, I hope?

Anything but.  After nearly seven decades of war and war machines in the form of movies, models, books, TV and even comic books, I have finally called time on the subject.  Not a comment on anyone else’s preference, just weary of the whole business of young men paying the ultimate price.  Hence my interest in the Schneider Trophy Cup.

Dennis

• Like 4

Sorry, Moa, wrong topic.  Not sure how to move it over to RFI.

Dennis 

Edited by DMC
Correction

26 minutes ago, DMC said:

Okay then.  Many tears ago I lived and worked on an island in the Bahamas. Down the road from us, and on the beach, was a derelict Aero Commander that had attempted to land on the beach some time in the late 70s. In the photo, the plane is pointing south.  Apparently, it was on a northerly direction but developed engine troubles, note the feathered prop, did a 180 and the pilot put it down on the beach.  The “cargo” either disappeared into the local economy or was stashed and collected later.  The details were hazy as no one wanted discuss the incident.  

The area Real was a regular corridor for low flying aircraft from down south.  This one was just one of several that had put down in the area.  

Dennis 

Juicy story, Dennis!

And perhaps the moderators can make that move to the Aero Commander thread. No big deal, though.

• 2 months later...

Well, almost back in business, Clive. And thanks for your kind feedback about my decals. All of my time during this summer has gone with major house renovation jobs and thus I have not been very productive recently. It will still take some weeks before I am able to focus better on making new decals. There are many new subjects on pipeline...

Cheers,

Mika

Edited by Mika Jernfors
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone applying decals on a corrugated model (in this case fine corrugations in 1/72nd) knows that things can often go wrong. The decals may not conform to the corrugations, silvering happens, etc.
Arctic Decals set, which is printed in a good thin carrier, worked best removing all carrier from the letters (that's for the fuselage and wing regs), including the bits inside the letters (as inside the little triangle on the A) and trimming all exterior to the very edge of the image, applying to the area on the model plenty of Micro Set, applying the decal, letting the decal rest for a few hours, apply Micro Sol, and gently pressing the decals into the grooves,  (rolling, not sliding or dragging, as with a rolling pin) with a Q-tip along the grooves, several times. It may require more applications of decal solution the next day if not completely conformed. This needs fine tuning, and patience, hence my first mishap.
While I waited, I added the navigation lights from the CMK set, and the wire antennas from that stretchy material that again made me use harsh language. But it worked at the end.
You may notice that the font employed in Ibaté's registrations was for some reason not the standard one, having extra horizontal bits on the vertexes of the Vs and As.
If all goes well, tomorrow will be props, ailerons, doors, hatches, and eventually photos. Fingers crossed:

IMG_6395+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 7