Junkers Ju-52 Aeroposta Argentina, Italeri 1/72 conversion

One of the planes I wanted to model with a second kit is a CAUSA Uruguayan Junkers on floats, either CX-ABA or CX-ABB.

BUT: the floats on the kit are useless for the great majority of civil float-planes I have on file or I can see on the net, being the kit's floats' noses too droopy, whilst the real thing is straight (this is of course another example, not the Uruguayan plane):

Junker_Ju_52,_S%C3%B6dermanland_SE-ADR_(

f8a174eba6caf1a1600e756003ad614e.jpg

IMG_3662+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8

I wonder if the floats from the old Airfix Ju52 might not have a flatter top profile. I don't have any so I can't say for sure.

Chris

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, StephenCJ said:

Moa you could scratch a pair of floats in no time at all, or failing that your wonderful wife could knit you a pair.

I generally use (for as as long as I have some left) adapted floats from a generic Aeroclub vac sheet that has been very helpful through the years for scratch projects, but I ran out of some sizes now.

Airfix's floats (they can be seen online) are straight on top, which is correct, but clunky in shape and too pointy. In fact the whole Airfix kit of the Junkers is rather coarse and looks terribly outdated. I would choose another Italeri one if I want a second model without hesitation. Still have to get a Heller one to compare.

• Like 2

Junker_Ju_52,_S%25C3%25B6dermanland_SE-A

Looks like an interesting subject, those engine nacelles and mounts look a bit scrappy.

Almost 'buttoned-up' and she's looking great. You'll have to try and get an image through the doorways as the interior is looking '1st Class'.

Stuart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Looks like an interesting subject, those engine nacelles and mounts look a bit scrappy.

Almost 'buttoned-up' and she's looking great. You'll have to try and get an image through the doorways as the interior is looking '1st Class'.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

That is actually not the plane y would like to model, but as written above CX-ABA or CX-ABB (Uruguay) that photo above as noted on the post was just an example of the "right" floats compared to those in the kit. The plane in the photo is from Sweden ("SE-" reg)

Cheers

• Like 2

You're man-dangles must be of insane proportions! To even think about the things you do so routinely makes me break out it a sweat.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 02:14, Moa said:

Not here either.

Pity.

I have a pair of Airfix floats you can have if it will help. I even have a vague idea where they might be!

Martian 👽

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I have a pair of Airfix floats you can have if it will help. I even have a vague idea where they might be!

Martian 👽

You are very kind, Martian. I am not sure I would like glow-in-the-dark floats, though.

More seriously: the Airfix floats seem closer in shape, but I think not quite right either.

Besides, a package from Fogland to Sunland will be onerous. I think I could buy a "used" Ju-52 kit and grab the floats for may be similar $$$.

But I do appreciate your good intentions.

May I abuse your kindness and ask you to compare your floats with these below?

(somebody tell me if I am braking any rules posting these excerpts)

47046215404_36a4a9a923_b.jpg

47046215254_9f08b2cbc5_c.jpg

• Like 1

I will dig out said floats and see. Actually postage UK to USA for small packets is not too bad. Its when the package is going in the opposite direction that things go pear shaped.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I will dig out said floats and see. Actually postage UK to USA for small packets is not too bad. Its when the package is going in the opposite direction that things go pear shaped.

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian.

Here another plan to compare (more generic):

47835976821_019bb55513_h.jpg

On 25/04/2019 at 03:23, Andwil said:

Brilliant work as usual Moa, that bathroom is a tour de force.  Does actually have running water? 🚰

AW

Apologies, pressed the wrong emoji - I share the admiration for the toilet!

• Thanks 1

OK my take on this is that the top line of the Airfix floats is way closer to what you are looking for. The downside is that they are too deep.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now this civil one had the kit's floats:

16-1.jpg

012uNXVsGkF7?dimension=1200x1200

012uN2AR7ysn?dimension=1200x1200

012uNXVvF4X1?dimension=1200x1200

Ju52%20SAS.jpg

But other LN- registered planes had the other ones (straight tops).

So once again, look at references before you commit.

I just spotted several models online with the wrong floats. Not that this will deny those models merit, they have plenty of it, it's not that of big deal, but it pays to do some little research.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

OK my take on this is that the top line of the Airfix floats is way closer to what you are looking for. The downside is that they are too deep.

Martian 👽

Thanks for looking it up, Martian.

I will have to make my own, it seems. The generic Aeroclub vac sheet of floats does not offer a similar one (unless I have already used them, my sheets are incomplete).

Lars Opland of Khee-Kha Art Products has an intersting and precise line of floats in resin, immaculately cast, but the line doesn't included these.

May be I could interest him. There is a market, after all, with all those JU-52  available from several vendors around.

Cheers

• Like 1