Foiled! Airfix 1:72 MiG-15, an OOB foiling 'mule' project *** FINISHED ***

33 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

OK you've lost me. You had a nice shine and you've sanded it. Please enlighten me!

Ian

Hi Ian, well the best way I can explain it is that before sanding it looked too shiny - it looked like what it actually is, i.e. aluminium foil. Now, it just looks better, to me anyway:

HSXdcw8.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

you've lost me. You had a nice shine and you've sanded it.

The preserved and displayed show-planes are often buffed up to a mirror finish, but service airframes seldom had this kind of pampering. 

300px-North_American_F86-01

Let's see what the toothbrush method comes up with. 

There's metal polish to play with too! 

19 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

The preserved and displayed show-planes are often buffed up to a mirror finish, but service airframes seldom had this kind of pampering. 

300px-North_American_F86-01

Let's see what the toothbrush method comes up with. 

There's metal polish to play with too! 

Very true, but they weren't dull and scratched either. I'm still a little lost as to why it should be sanded, instead of either a dull coat or micromesh to take the shine off.

Waiting to see what the polish can do.....

Ian

@clive_t, awesome build--while I have seen models foiled with kitchen foil, I have not seen one with the plumber's tape--it is turning out gorgeous.  Do you plan on combining mediums, or will this be a complete plumber's foil job-- sorry if I missed a memo which already answered my question 🙂 Best, Erwin 

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for your comments.

Erwin, I am going to keep it all 'foil' for this one - although there are decals and a bunch of stencils to add which could yet prove 'interesting'! The very small exceptions are the aerials which I have yet to fit - I shall be painting those, as they would be all but impossible to foil I think.

Well, the toothbrush solution didn't seem to turn out as well as I'd hoped, even with the additional presence of some AutoSol metal polish. I imagine it was the oscillations of the head that set up standing waves on the foil, leaving it with ripples rather like sand in a shallow sea. These are now proving rather difficult to shift, a challenge not helped by my rash decision to fit the undercarriage AND the canopy! Still, on the plus side, she's on her feet - all three of them:

RBPBCO6.jpg

Notwithstanding the ripple effect, I did manage to remove a lot of the scoring of the foil with the use of a silver cloth and a reasonable amount of elbow grease.

I would agree the amount of evident scratching of the foil probably doesn't do the look of it any great favours, but I still think it looks better than it did before. In any event, it's all good learning, and with any luck the next time I try foiling something I will make a better job of it.

• Like 2

I've noticed, at least in pictures, that there's a definite and clear difference between US and Soviet NMF, with the latter looking less polished and reflective (most likely due to alloys used.) She's definitely looking the part!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Mr Fulcrum!

Some minor progress today owing to much of today spent working on the railway (see 'Garden Railway Resurrection' thread!)

I've decided to press on with decals on this, having made a mental note that next time round I will have to plan the foiling process a lot better. I have no idea how the decals are going to behave going on to bare metal, so I've started with the underside - again, potential damage limitation. I've applied the insignia and a couple of stencils to each wing:

zyXjAcG.jpg

I've gone down the 'Micro Sol/Set' route with these; no idea as to the outcome really until tomorrow. It's probably too early to tell, but the carrier film on the stencils is quite prominent - I suspect I am going to have to do some work in order to hide that on the fuselage number, as there is a lot of film present between the digits!

A bit more progress today, the main decals are all now on:

qsiYmqe.jpg

I took the decision to cut the unit number into its separate digits in order to remove as much of the carrier film as I could safely. Repositioning was a bit of a fiddle, but I think it's turned out OK. Lashings of MicroSet already on the tail flash, with more needed yet I'd imagine. The rest of the stencils to follow, but they are pretty small!

• Like 2

Just a quick update, I am calling this one done. The stencils are all on now, as well as the aerial masts and the pitot tube - the latter I had to make myself from some 0.3mm rod as Messrs Airfix obviously felt that providing a part was beneath them :(

WRSDFyx.jpg

Rigging by EZ-Line, as is my habit!

This has been great fun, and whilst I am nowhere near the quality of finish that I should have got, I am nevertheless quite pleased with my first foray into foiling. It definitely will not be my last. RFI to follow at some stage

Thanks for watching, and all your comments :thumbsup2:

• Like 3

This is a very inspiring build for those of us unversed in foiling! How thick is your tape? Or do you have a shot of the packaging or a link to the product? I have some Aluminium tape from Maplins but I suspect it's a lot thicker than yours - I wanted it for straps and raised covers.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Thanks Adrian, it's called aluminium plumber's tape and I got mine from my local b&q. There's a pic of the roll on page 1 of the thread :thumbsup2:

• clive_t changed the title to Foiled! Airfix 1:72 MiG-15, an OOB foiling 'mule' project *** FINISHED ***

Thanks Mr Hairtrigger, much appreciated. I do have something in mind, but not that big. I do have an Airfix Fortress in my stash, but that will be for another time I think.