Academy decals...

Andre B

Hi,

How do one work with Academy decals to get best results? 

I have the Academy P-47D Thunderbolt with the big Indian Chief Head on the nose. This is a big decal even in 1/72 and the nose of the P-47:s is round like an American fotball.

I got hot water, Micro Set and Micro Sol. Is there anything else needed?

The Academy decals has an bad reputation and My experiences with them isn't that good either...

Cheers / André

• Like 1

Ive worked with them multiple times. My trick is super hot water like 130-140* F. or 55-60*C. I let them soak about 25-30 seconds. Set them on my desk while i use setting solution(microset in my case) on my kit. I then place the decal, once in place i use Micro sol to melt it into my clear coat.   

Once the Microsol is on DO NOT TOUCH, i cannot stress this enough. DO NOT TOUCH the decal, or you will damage it. Though you may need to apply the sol more than once. Once it cures after a day or so its permanent, Ive had to sand & repaint because you cant pull them off. This works with Tamiya and Hasegawa decals as well. 

Dennis

After one day and more I have to say that the decals in the end turned out ok. But not more and not without Micro Sol, hot water and lots of patience.

Wonder if there is any alternativ decals for the "Indian Chief"?

As I also built Revell's P-47D "Balls Out" and had an similar decal to put on to that kit. But the Revell decal was much easyer and worked well with Micro Sol. The only thing was that the "Bull" wasn't in correct size an colour compared to the real thing...

Cheers / André