Hasegawa 1:48 Kawanishi N1K2-J Shiden (Violet Lightning) “George”

This model represents an aircraft of the 343rd Fighter Group, flown by Leading Airman Ikuji Matsumura. A very nice kit. I added the RB Model Brass 20mm Japanese cannons Type 99 Mk. 2. I bought these for the soul reason that they were on sale dirt cheap. I used Uschi van Rosten rigging thread (0.02mm) for the antenna wires. This is the ultra fine size meant for 1:72 rigging but I think it is more to scale for 1:48 antenna. I painted the innards Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green lightened with XF-4 Yellow Green. Camo was done with Tamiya XF-11: J.N. Green over XF-16: Flat Aluminum. This is the first time that I’ve tried the hair spray chipping method, a work in progress shall we say. This is also my first attempt with Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color: Dark Brown. Again…a work in progress. I used the kit decals save for the fuselage stripe which I painted on

img_0006-jpg.535322

img_0007-jpg.535323

img_0008-jpg.535324

img_0009-jpg.535325

img_0011-jpg.535327

img_0010-jpg.535328

img_0012-jpg.535329

img_0014-jpg.535330

Edited by fubar57
Editing
  • Like 36

Super model! It all looks very realistic - the green colour, the sparse chipping and the markings.

343 Ku displayed the aircraft number inside the Hinomaru during their preparatory training in early 1945. It was later removed superficially. Towards the end of the group's life cycle the front of the prop hubs were painted in the Hikotai colour, white in this case (if this plane had survived so long...)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nicely done. I like the restrained chipping and general finish. I have used the ultra fine Uschi van Rosten rigging thread and I agree that it is more in scale - it is barely visible from some angles, just like on pictures of real aircraft. I have also silvered the thread with Uschi van Rosten polishing powders which works OK to give metallic looking wires.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1