Academy 1:350 Warspite

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

What about when the colour demarcation passed across it?

Stuart 

Practically that's hard to say without a photograph. Sometimes attention to detail was high. Othertimes someone lashed the floats upside down or whatever...

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

IMG_20191103_212445

IMG_20191103_212132

IMG_20200127_160313 IMG_20200127_160227_1

Almost finished the AA guns which I've found to be very fiddley and difficult. couldn't get the ammo boxed to line up 100% but I'm sure it will look ok once painted 

IMG_20200127_160020

Rigging on forward tower as per illustration, not sure on the accuracy but I'm happy enough at this stage for a representation rather than perfect historical accuracy. On my next build think I'll buy some books at the start and aim for more historical details. I managed to ruin the PE for the top bridge level wind deflector so I made one from thin plastic strip I've since learned you can request replacement parts so I'm currently waiting the new parts and I'll try again ordered 2 lots of the parts so I've 2 more attempts to fit it.

IMG_20200127_161847

Finished the rear tower and painted it. I found an illustration online supposedly showing the rigging layout and followed it but I'm not sure if its right. I used brass wire but I think next model I'll use black string.  

IMG_20200127_155846

Added a wood stain to the deck, doesn't really show in these photos my phone camera is pretty poor resolution but the model looks a lot better in real life :D

IMG_20200127_161045

IMG_20200127_160517

Added some streaks to the hull with salt and warship weathering wash. 

I'm going to touch up the hull a bit around the camouflage bits and the black stripe since I've got much better at masking and spraying since I painted the hull. Hopefully I can Just straighten the lines a bit and tidy up a few areas i'm not so happy with.

IMG_20200127_161726

IMG_20200127_161643

Pretty happy with how this has turned out as my first ship model so far. I plan to build a collection of 1:350 scale ships, I'll do a lot of things different on the next build Definitely learned a lot on this one. 

Edited by Onezonedrone
  • Like 14

On 28/01/2020 at 20:54, Chewbacca said:

For a first ship model this is looking really good.  You mention "warship weathering wash".  I usually make my own - is there a specific product that I've not yet come across?

Thanks. Yes I used AK interactive naval wash for grey warships and AK naval wood deck wash thinned down for the wood deck. And AK interactive naval salt stain wash. 

Edited by Onezonedrone
  • Thanks 1