Academy 1:350 Warspite

IMG_20190222_235918

Started the academy Warspite kit in 1:350. After glueing and filling the hull I sprayed with black Mr hobby 1500 primer. Once dry masked off lines and resprayed more primer to create a slightly 3d effect for the hull plating. 

IMG_20190224_110425

Quite pleased with how well this worked. I used this to paint in a hull plating effect 

IMG_20190318_200806

I used tamyia 0.4mm masking tape along the panel lines and then toned down the panel effect along with some streaks added. 

IMG_20190407_121210

Used the 0.4 mm tape to do the same with the above the waterline. 

IMG_20190407_121222

IMG_20190407_121222IMG_20190413_095424

Result so far. Bit of over spray here and there so lots of bits to tidy up

Edited by Onezonedrone
  • Like 13

IMG_20190416_212220

Added Some weathering and streaks on the grey portions of the hull. Still to weather the light grey areas and add a wash.

IMG_20190417_190036

IMG_20190417_190005

Now waiting for a wooden deck kit and PE to arrive before I can continue. 

Edited by Onezonedrone
  • Like 17

Gidday Onezonedrone, I've always liked the Grand Old Lady. A great uncle of mine once said "She was built for a stoush!"

I like what you've done so far. I noticed that you have both inward and outward tuning screws. Is there any reason for that, better perfomance, maneuvering etc? Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Onezonedrone, I've always liked the Grand Old Lady. A great uncle of mine once said "She was built for a stoush!"

I like what you've done so far. I noticed that you have both inward and outward tuning screws. Is there any reason for that, better perfomance, maneuvering etc? Regards, Jeff.

Hmm probably a mistake I made. I'll have to have a look in the instructions. I might have to pry them off 🤨 

12 hours ago, Jerry L said:

Looking quite good. Like the painting. How much filling on the hull did you have to do? Also how do you feel about the model, fit up that is, so far?

The hull needed some filling along the bottom as the two halves were not level.  Other than that the fit is good so far minimal sanding. I've yet to find sink marks or any issues with the kit. 

The details are excellent too I've ordered a PE kit with wood deck but the standard kit is good.

Gidday again, My model ships are not as detailed as yours, nearly all are Airfix 1/600 scale. Those that I've done nearly always have either left or right screws but rarely both. (Mr Airfix is a bit miserly, I think). One exception is the Airfix HMS Repulse kit, left and right turning are both supplied but the instructions call for them to me fitted incorrectly I believe. I found a photo of the ship just prior to launch that showed the screws to be all outward turning. I know Repulse isn't Warspite but they are of a similar vintage. I hope this helps.

My model of HMS Warspite was the first since I took up the hobby again, over twenty years ago. As a result it was quite crude and basic so I am looking forward to seeing yours built. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

On 20/04/2019 at 13:35, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday again, My model ships are not as detailed as yours, nearly all are Airfix 1/600 scale. Those that I've done nearly always have either left or right screws but rarely both. (Mr Airfix is a bit miserly, I think). One exception is the Airfix HMS Repulse kit, left and right turning are both supplied but the instructions call for them to me fitted incorrectly I believe. I found a photo of the ship just prior to launch that showed the screws to be all outward turning. I know Repulse isn't Warspite but they are of a similar vintage. I hope this helps.

My model of HMS Warspite was the first since I took up the hobby again, over twenty years ago. As a result it was quite crude and basic so I am looking forward to seeing yours built. Regards, Jeff.

you are correctI made a mistake they are supposed to be the same screws on each side. Outward turning I think. Managed to pop them off without too much trouble. 

PE arrived so made a start on that. It's very tricky much harder than I expected. One thing I'm definitely going to do is narrow down the boot stripe a bit as I feel it's a bit too thick. At the moment This 1st first ship model and 3rd model since I started this hobby.

Edited by Onezonedrone
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Onezonedrone said:

you are correctI made a mistake they are supposed to be the same screws on each side. Outward turning I think. Managed to pop them off without too much trouble. 

PE arrived so made a start on that. It's very tricky much harder than I expected. One thing I'm definitely going to do is narrow down the boot stripe a bit as I feel it's a bit too thick. At the moment This 1st first ship model and 3rd model since I started this hobby.

Don't narrow the boot topping - they're usually portrayed much, much too narrow on models.

• Like 2

Built up some more of the PE. Finding its going together very well.  I've built up the catapult there's quite a bit of detail in it it has several ribs and some structure that gets covered up with the top panels(see pic)

IMG_20190423_194345

Does anybody know what these panels were? I assume they were removable pannels that would be removed when launching the sea plane. I might have mine off so the details are visible I might try make it with the sea plane in the launching position 

IMG_20190423_194454

IMG_20190423_194504

IMG_20190422_225910

IMG_20190422_225940

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

Added wood deck kit and started paitning the turrets. Still need to paint  some of the gun barrels and the bags

Think I'll try stain the deck a little to darken it since I think it looks too clean. 

IMG_20190526_183131

IMG_20190526_183106

IMG_20190526_183254

IMG_20190526_182923

painted the kit stand tried to do wood effect. it's not a bad stans but still might get a wood one. 

20190524_163418

20190524_163334

Edited by Onezonedrone
  • Like 12

She's coming along grand, the main guns look spot on.

The staining on the stand is a really, really good effect, but I'd possibly look at some real wood. The work you're doing on the rest of her kind of deserves it, if that makes sense?

(Must resist getting this kit, no space no money...)

Geoff.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gathering info and parts to start this model and would point out that the kit primarily portrays the ship after the increase in AA mounts around the catapult so the aircraft were not carried, the catapult was decommissioned (I haven't confirmed if it was totally removed yet) and the hangars re purposed. It's your model of course but detailing the catapult etc you might consider a waste of time.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/06/2019 at 14:07, Coors54 said:

I'm gathering info and parts to start this model and would point out that the kit primarily portrays the ship after the increase in AA mounts around the catapult so the aircraft were not carried, the catapult was decommissioned (I haven't confirmed if it was totally removed yet) and the hangars re purposed. It's your model of course but detailing the catapult etc you might consider a waste of time.

Thanks for the Info I didn't know when was the catapult decommissioned? I think the box says it's a 1943 depiction. That's a real shame I was hoping to have one plane visible through the open Hanger door and the other on the catapult. How come the kit and pinto's set include these parts? 

Nice progress. I like the cranes.

Warspite had a refit on the Clyde in mid 1943 before she went to the Med for the invasion of Sicily, during this refit the aircraft and catapult were removed and the extra AA armament fitted, so the kit and the Pontos set have provided everything for a 1943 fit except that they weren't all fitted at the same time!

If you want to be accurate and have the aircraft miss out the extra gun tubs around the catapult or just ignore it and fit everything.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Coors54 said:

Nice progress. I like the cranes.

Warspite had a refit on the Clyde in mid 1943 before she went to the Med for the invasion of Sicily, during this refit the aircraft and catapult were removed and the extra AA armament fitted, so the kit and the Pontos set have provided everything for a 1943 fit except that they weren't all fitted at the same time!

If you want to be accurate and have the aircraft miss out the extra gun tubs around the catapult or just ignore it and fit everything.

Thanks for the Info so it's just the AA tubs around the catapult? What about the tubs on the turrets? Hopefully I won't have to try remove them

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. To be a pedant over the AA fit before the the Walrus were disembarked means not putting the 20mm gun tubs on A and Y turrets and leaving off two tubs on the stern as well as the ones around the catapult.

There are also piles of Carley floats to add at various points but these seem to move around judging by the few pictures available.

I'm sure there are other more subtle changes in radar fit etc but I'm not going there.

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 19/07/2019 at 20:14, Coors54 said:

Sorry for the late reply. To be a pedant over the AA fit before the the Walrus were disembarked means not putting the 20mm gun tubs on A and Y turrets and leaving off two tubs on the stern as well as the ones around the catapult.

There are also piles of Carley floats to add at various points but these seem to move around judging by the few pictures available.

I'm sure there are other more subtle changes in radar fit etc but I'm not going there.

Dave

Thanks for the extra info, do you know what colour the life rafts mounted to the super structure would have been? Cheers

7 minutes ago, Onezonedrone said:

Thanks for the extra info, do you know what colour the life rafts mounted to the super structure would have been? Cheers

Almost always they'd be painted to match the background camouflage colour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1