Revell North sea Trawler "Arctic Corsair"

Recently completed example of the old Revell kit of the North Sea Trawler.  This boxing had the name decals for Arctic Corsair and, since i am a lazy, modeller, i built her with that name despite the fact that the kit is based on the Ross Co "Cat" boats.

Straight out of the box with only the old net added to give some busyness on deck.  My thought was to give her a fairly heavily weathered look as any fishing boat is a working boat and these were side trawlers dragging their nets up and over the starboard side.

I did cut out the wheelhouse windows and replaced them with PVA glue; craved the moulded rope from the winches and replaced that with thread and did unspeakable things to the hull...

20190409_200925[1]

• Like 27

Nice job on such an old kit, the real Arctic Corsair is now a museum ship in Hull

I visited the ship over ten years ago, the guides are ex-trawlermen, they were very humble and unassuming gents who'd obviously led a very hard life at sea.  You've done them proud with this model :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

thanks for the kind comments gents.

the net is a rolled up piece of 35th scale cammo netting that i have draped a few pieces of thread over to try to give the impression of a piled up net.  the "floats" are the heads of map pins that i snipped the pin off and attached with a little drop of PVA glue.  Its more of an effect look than real life; there should be otter boards and different rigging and the net should not be as clean... but, it looks busy which is what i was aiming for.

• Like 2

That looks really good. 👍

I build one for my father a few years ago, and, as you say it doen't really represent the Actic Corsair so I tried to scratch build the double dridge and varuius other changes with varying degrees of success...

Karl