Fairey Long Range Monoplane

Meatbox8

• 2 years later...

I'm glad I found this thread and the attached plans - I told myself to stop buying vacforms after I picked up a DH.90 and a Fairey Hendon in the course of about 2 weeks, but then I saw a LRM for cheap... In other words, I now own the Airframe Vac Kit.

Would anyone be interested in seeing the contents? It was shipped to my home address, but I will be back there from the 20th to the 27th or so, so I could take some photos of it then.

• Like 5

On 11/11/2021 at 7:35 AM, Vesa Jussila said:

Please share. I am interested in to see. LRM have been long time in my list to have. Sadly this kit is avoiding me.

I'll be home tomorrow, hopefully pics will follow the next day. I may be willing to part with the kit if you have any offers.

On 11/19/2021 at 8:15 AM, Vesa Jussila said:

PM sent

Having opened the kit today, I have to report that it was incomplete - the tail surfaces are missing. I'll try to upload pics of what was included tomorrow.

• 1 year later...

Any more progress on this kit? And has AdrianMF done any more on his scratchbuild? I’m just starting the Airframe kit (It’s Canadian and so am I), so any pointers would be useful. 

I bought the kit about 30 years ago for $5:00 Canadian dollars and it even came with the correct Williams brothers wheels. Am tossing up which aircraft to do - I try not to make models of aircraft that killed people, as the first one did.

I’m going to Scale Model World this year and looking forward to meeting those people in person I communicate with on BM - especially Adrian 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On further I note that there were two aircraft built, K1991 and J9479. The first constructed one, J9… had different engines and different fin/rudder configurations. 

Most pictures of J9.. show a square division between these two tail components, however the Putnam Fairey book has a general arrangement drawing of a lozenge style demarcation. “Aeroplane Fairey company profile” has a good photograph of the lozenge rudder equipped aircraft.

can anyone shed more light as to when and why this tail arrangement was changed? 

cheers

Adrian 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Any long-range news? 

This must be my annual reminder... ;)

I've got some Italian fighters to clear, and a Super Sabre, and then (shock, horror) I will attend my Shelf of Shame. The most annoying one (to me anyway) is the Bristol 142, now that I seem to have found a bulletproof shiny silver rattle can - it only needs a simple re-mask, respray, decals and a sprinkling of props and undercarriages.

I'm sure you understand how it is to have long running projects :wicked:

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 1

On 21/10/2023 at 07:58, Adrian Hills said:

Scale Model World

Sadly, I won't be going this year - I have a spinal condition and my mobility isn't up it at the moment. I cancelled my hotel booking last week after careful consideration.

I over-committed to group builds (including hosting one) this year and it's been a difficult year on pretty much every level, so I'm building some Italian fighters to pump up the Mojo and then I will get on with my stragglers.

I know @Bandsaw Steve is keen for me to crack on with the Fairey, and the Bristol 142 should be an easy win, so I will prioritise those two.

I'm planning to do the second one, with the different fin and the spats. Fairey went through a lot of different tail fin designs on the IIIF and others, so I imagine the Monoplanes just got the best current design at the time they were being constructed.

Good luck with the Airframe version!

Regards,

Adrian

I have just looked up The Royal Airforce Museum which has a short video about the FLRM. Their information is actually quite inaccurate as their spoken words and imagery blithely mix up the two aircraft. The model they show has the earlier aircraft's upper undercarriage but wheel spats like the second aircraft. Interestingly the anti-dazzle panel is blue and not black.

A further reference I have, "Aircraft Illustrated" December 1972, article "1933 Record Breaker" by Christine Riley is interesting. It has an image labelled as "First of the two...at Cranwell for an attempt on the long distance record". This shows J8479 with the lozenge tail and a dark anti-dazzle panel on the nose. I'm getting the impression that these two features were added later. The tail of the second aircraft matches the 'early' version of the first.

"Aeroplane Monthly", Feb 1982 has a photograph of J9479 labelled as 15th June 1929 on return to Cranwell after the flight to Karachi. J9479 is seen with a lozenge tail and anti-dazzle panel.

Adrian, sorry to hear you have a spinal problem - hope it can be satisfactorily attended to. 

I look forward to seeing some imagery of your further work. And in future hopefully we can meet up.

Cheers

Adrian 🙂

34 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I over-committed to group builds (including hosting one) this year and it's been a difficult year on pretty much every level, so I'm building some Italian fighters to pump up the Mojo and then I will get on with my stragglers.

I know @Bandsaw Steve is keen for me to crack on with the Fairey, and the Bristol 142 should be an easy win, so I will prioritise those two.

Please don’t do anything on my account, do what you enjoy not what random people on the other side of the world want! 🤣

I know what you mean about over-committing to group-builds. 🤔

Steve