Fairey Long Range Monoplane

Meatbox8

I've always been somewhat drawn to this aircraft.  Does anyone know whether there is a 1/72nd scale kit if the type (not vacform). It's a pity Frog never produced one as part of their Trail Blazers series. 

@AdrianMFhas been scratching a 1/72 model of this aircraft for a while.  I’m not sure of the current status though.

If you get a 3-view plan it’s not that hard to create a serviceable model, as long as you don’t expect Tamigawa/ Eduard first time out of the blocks...

• Like 3

Airframe did a 1/72 vacform of the airplane; it was kit No. 30, IIRC. You might look for one on the auction sites, or the 'wanted' section here on BM, but not very likely, I would think. It's a handsome beast! You might could get @Moa to scratchbuild one for you, but make sure he puts the loo in for the aircrew! 😜

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 19/04/2019 at 12:53, malpaso said:

@AdrianMFhas been scratching a 1/72 model of this aircraft for a while.  I’m not sure of the current status though.

It’s ...errr... “in progress”. I did add a bit of Milliput to the wings the other day and I’ve thought of another way to do the cockpit and cowling, so it’s technically not on the shelf of shame at the mo...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

Sorry guys. I thought I had put the notification thingy on but it seems I hadn't.  Anyway, thank you for your responses.  As I suspected, there does not appear to be a kit of this aircraft, which is a shame.  Kind of thing Valom might undertake one would hope.  I shall check out your progress with interest, Adrian.  Looks intriguing. 

20 hours ago, dogsbody said:

All I've got is an old Air International article. This is from that.

46746318095_72c85aa296_b.jpg

Chris

Thanks Chris.  It's good to get an overall look of the thing.  Most photos I have seen make it difficult to get a good idea of the aircraft's general arrangements.  I don't think my scratch-building skills are up to the job to be honest.  Maybe something Moa might consider tackling.  I know he doesn't do military aircraft but it seems its main role was to find out the feasibility of long range civil routes, even if they were conducted by the RAF.  It is quite a handsome beast and definitely has a 'Fairey' look about it.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris.  Very useful.  I always think those cutaway drawings are works of art in their own right.  This one gives a good idea of the interior/cockpit as well.  I had a look at your scratchbuild and it looks terrific so far.  Is it still in its hiatus?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I had a look at your scratchbuild and it looks terrific so far.  Is it still in its hiatus?

Do you mean AdrianMF? He was doing a scratch-build Monoplane.

Chris

On 4/21/2019 at 11:08 PM, dogsbody said:

All I've got is an old Air International article. This is from that.

46746318095_72c85aa296_b.jpg

Chris

I‘m pretty sure Ian Huntley did a „Column“  in good old SAM in ca. Vol 8 - I‘ll have a look. I also could have sworn Gordon Sutcliffe did a vac, but I probably confuse this with Mr Tarvin‘s. OTOH they collaborated to some extent, so it may have been boxed by Contrail?

• Thanks 1

I have a Paper Airplanes book with a paper model of this aircraft in the Cave.  I tried making one once - didn't get far...  I'll try to dig it out and see if there is anything useful...

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 14:42, 72modeler said:

You might could get @Moa to scratchbuild one for you, but make sure he puts the loo in for the aircrew! 😜

Mike

And make sure it has the right bog roll for the period!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

And make sure it has the right bog roll for the period!

Martian 👽

Probably Izel.  It's what they make the new fivers ans tenners out of.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Probably Izel.  It's what they make the new fivers ans tenners out of.

We were discussing this very point over on Moa's HP 42 thread.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed! Very nice work.

I have had a "Biggles" comic book for decades, where Biggles and Co. fly around in a Fairey Long Range Monoplane. Certainly one of those "most wanted kits".

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 24/04/2019 at 07:31, Grey Beema said:

I have a Paper Airplanes book with a paper model of this aircraft in the Cave.  I tried making one once - didn't get far...  I'll try to dig it out and see if there is anything useful...

I have the book too. Has  DR1, Ryan NYP and a very complex Hawker Hart in it as well. Built and flew some of the momoplanes.