MPM Focke Wulf Fw 190V-18 1/72 scale Kit No.72033

Built over a number of years mostly due to frustration with the kit/builder interface, even did something else for about 10 months or so, but finally it's finished.
Focke Wulf Fw 190V-18 Wkn.0040 CF+OY 1/72 scale MPM Kit No.72033. Built 05Oct2015 to 13Apr2019.

The box,

uc?export=download&id=1xTJhYDc54ze9gwNxB

A bit of history,

"The Fw 190V-18 was originally an Fw 190A-0 W.No.0040 CF+OY that was modified for high altitude work by Kurt Tank originally utilising a Daimler Benz DB603G engine, but due to development probs with the engine the aircraft stood in a separate hangar for weeks so Tank decided to install an interim installation of a DB603A-1 with the TK9AC Hirth turbocharger, designed to boost power output in the rarefied air at high altitude and fitted with a four blade propeller. It turned out that there were not going to be any problems installing the engine, the turbocharger was going to require a number constructional changes. It was fitted below the fuselage with the large air intake, reminiscent of the P-51 Mustang, almost touching the ground! The engineers used a turbine propelled by the engine exhaust fumes, which were transferred by two long ducting pipes' running along the fuselage sides. The turbine propelled a compressor and the compressed air was cooled and delivered to the engine compressor.
When all that had been dealt with, the engineers and mechanics stood round their creation to have a look at it. One of them said carelessly "Look what we've created." "A 'kangaroo'" another one replied.
The name was unofficially accepted, and from then on, both DB603-fitted machines were called 'Kangaroos' at Focke Wulf. An unfortunate name really as they were really only capable of short 'hops'. Foreseeing flight stability problems, the engineers gave the Fw 190V-18 a broader chord vertical stab and rudder.
On 10Dec1942 the V-18 was sent to Daimler Benz at Echterdingen, where factory test pilots could not handle it at all. The aircraft would rather jump than fly. "After all, it's a Kangaroo," one pilot reportedly said. Therefore Kurt Tank instructed Focke Wulf's chief test pilot, Hptm Hans Sander, to personally test the V-18 in flight.
On a cold January morning Hans Sander climbed into the cockpit and commenced take-off procedures. Getting airborne correctly he climbed and disappeared into the cloudy sky. Less than an hour later he returned to the field and on landing the aircraft rapidly dropped it's tail the tailwheel hitting the ground. The aircraft leapt just like it's namesake!! If it were not for Sander's experience he would've been killed, but he managed to wrestle the aircraft back to a three point landing as he would have with a normal Fw 190. Even so, the V-18's tail rose a few more times causing some rapid changes of taxi direction before coming to a stop. He switched of the engine, and sat motionless in the cockpit for a while taking deep breaths. When the designers ran up to the cockpit, he got out and discussed the flight with them; unstable in the climb, impossible to trim with a tendency to snake at altitude. He then proceeded to fly nine more take offs and thankfully for him as many landings before he informed Tank the aircraft was a complete failure and indeed dangerous for pilots at this stage. It had multiple stability and power problems, leading Sander to conclude that it was completely unsuitable for flying before extensive modifications were carried out.
A special team of Focke Wulf technicians and Daimler Benz engineers were immediately set to work on the problems, just where to start? It was now called the Fw 190V-18/U1 and flew another 30 hours with various mods without any considerable improvement to it's performance or handling. When the V-18 achieved 680kph at 11000m the engineers were delighted but an irritated Sander stated "I could have achieved the same without that damn supercharger!"
This was not the end of the 'kangaroo' saga as Fock Wulf built a further five prototypes based on the Fw 190A-1 incorporating the lessons learned by the V-18 during it's flights. Slowly this attempt to produce an FW 190C was abandoned."

The finished build,

uc?export=download&id=1AkaX1MgcQRsN2zZad

uc?export=download&id=1VqvtCyd8jV-GINFhF

uc?export=download&id=1_dL7zC8JBbX8RIhNe

uc?export=download&id=1d_YMKR40FyZuwfhTx

uc?export=download&id=1KRVkYATvh3ysm3Od9

uc?export=download&id=1E0zIuezl8319ik7tt

uc?export=download&id=1mJAv-ZZcmxhlG-GoW

uc?export=download&id=1Azdr9axBh8FmGh-X1

uc?export=download&id=1lhfv6zTa5NhXOnHmg

More pics soon,

• Like 53
  • Thanks 3

Continued . . . .

uc?export=download&id=11LhZX-ZT-5ysZgesm

uc?export=download&id=1ot92a6r-5f-MbpKg4

uc?export=download&id=1tQb_2ejByjRUyVQ6S

uc?export=download&id=16d3G03wvylSqmA-P0

uc?export=download&id=1b7hL8kWy9Z83BY2q7

uc?export=download&id=17s3HaiNSjzesG63C-

uc?export=download&id=1ttK6Tf3a17k5JxlLu

A very long and involved build but I'm quite happy with the finished product as long as I don't look too hard :coolio:

For those interested in the build saga here's some links,
Workbench build here ;  faaman-s-workbenches-t47233.html#p707723
Workbench continuation here ;  faaman-s-workbenches-t47233-s240.html#p795415

Cheers all 🍻

Neil :coolio:

• Like 16

Thank you very much gents for the great "likes" and comments, all very much appreciated 👍 It makes the whole build journey worth while 😉

If you like you can go to my ATF Workbench posts (see links above) to see most of this build's story. I think the most difficult part being the symmetry and shape issues, followed by the incredibly brittle plastic that would literally shatter if worked a bit. Also completely missing details, like the roof of the chin intake duct and the fuselage side exhaust fairings (both requiring scratching) there's more in the Workbench. One very worrying aspect was the very "pebbly" finish on the inside of the canopy, almost impossible to remedy, but a bit of work (about 12hrs or so) and you could clearly see my modified Matchbox civilian test pilot (don't like empty cockpits).

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments gents 👍

Opus the metal tones are based on Humbrol enamel H1 Undercoat with Humbrol acrylic rattlecan Polished Aluminium over that.

Phas3e just do it. My build thread's links are above, use what you need in them and above all have fun :coolio:

Thank you all for the great reactions to my build it's greatly appreciated 👍😉

Thanks for the 'bravo' Djos, couldn't agree with you more, the V-18 has been a favorite of mine for a very long time so you can imagine my glee when I found this kit in 'my scale' no less at a second hand dealer that used to be here in Sydney. Then I got the kit home, had a look inside and had second thoughts. The kit disappeared into the stash until 2015 😉

Cheers all 🍻

Neil 😎

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:03 AM, Hairtrigger said:

Unusual FW....   Supurb, I especially love the tones on the pipes.     

Yes, agreed. Could you please tell us how you painted the exhaust pipes?

Chris

Thank you for the comments gents 👍

Dogsbody the exhausts were started with airbrushed Humbrol H.1 Undercoat, followed by a mix of Tamiya XF-56 Metallic Grey (30% approx) and Tamiya XF-79 Linoleum Deck Brown (70% approx) airbrushed on. The engine panel behind the exhaust segment is XF-56 Metallic Grey. A coat of Mr.Topcoat Gloss Varnish from a rattlecan was then applied. When thoroughly dry some diluted Tamiya X-23 Clear Blue was drybrushed around the locations I thought would "blue" due to heat, then a pin wash of Tamiya Panel line colours mixed to produce a dark grey was used on all the bands and added detail to lightly hi-light them. Right at the end of the build I used some diluted Vallejo Matt Black to pick out the exhaust openings and when dried some black pastel chalk was used over the same area. The whole lot was given a coat of Mr.Topcoat Semi Gloss varnish to seal it all in and finally with dry brushed Mr.Topcoat Matt Varnish in some areas to vary the hue.

I post links at the end of my pics post to my ATF Workbench although this is a more detailed explanation than in my ATF Workbench.

Cheers all 🍻

Neil 😎

• Like 1

Thanks, Neil. I'm always on the lookout for exhaust pipe painting ideas. Mostly for the exhaust collectors on Bristol radials. Your method is a good one.

Chris

Thanks to all who've "liked" my build, I'm very surprised.

Thanks for the kudos Kitchen it's one of my fave versions of the '190, after the 'D' and Ta 152 that is.

Kitchen I'm not sure what you mean by your comments, "considering the scale", the model has been detailed for a normal scale viewing distance of 20 to 30 feet.

Getting details appropriate for your particular build right in any scale is a "struggle". When a build is finished whether it's 1/24th, 1/32nd, 1/72nd or smaller it should look as 1:1 as appropriate and possible.

I'm pleased I could help Dogsbody, I actually got the germ of an idea when I read a particular build article for a new tool Airfix Wellington, I think General Melchert on this forum used the Tamiya XF-56 Metallic Grey for his collector rings, but I needed a tonal quality that sorta matched the feel of the B and W images of the real V-18, so I started with XF-79 and added XF-56. Almost forgot I also had a bit of XF-72, can't remember why.

• Like 2

A great build. It's very good to see such a good model of a rare Fw190 as all one usually has to go on are old b&w photos, this brings the plane to life, for me that's what modelling is all about.

Charlie

I've really enjoyed seeing this Neil, & your workbench articles on ATF, I don't get over there so much these days, hell I struggle to keep up with this place. I've long been keen on one of these, mainly I think 'cause they're a bit different but not for the sort of cash that the MPM kits go for these days. There was a conversion in 1/32 from a Fw 190D on  here a couple of years ago & after following that, I'm convinced it would be doable from a D kit in 1/72, your build threads on ATF, now book marked will provide additional info/ideas. :)

Steve.