Su-30MK (No:603) in 1/72 scale - Heller Su-27UB based

Here is another Flanker project I have launched recently. If you follow my other topics that I have started in this forum, you may ask why I am launching a new one before completing existing ones. Each of these projects has some specific issues to be solved to continue (mostly based on casted parts with aged bleeding resin which was my fault not to check it's shelf life) and therefore they have to wait until the problem does not exist anymore. I hope it will not last too long 🙂

Here the aim is to build Su-30MK No:603 using Heller Su-27UB kit with minimum modifications (we will see 🙂 )

644.jpg

I have already made 3 view drawings of Su-30MK No:603 as given below:

su-30mk-no603.jpg?live_configurator_toke

The next step will be to map camo onto model.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Serkan Sen said:

Here is another Flanker project I have launched recently. If you follow my other topics that I have started in this forum, you may ask why I am launching a new one before completing existing ones. Each of these projects has some specific issues to be solved to continue (mostly based on casted parts with aged bleeding resin which was my fault not to check it's shelf life) and therefore they have to wait until the problem does not exist anymore. I hope it will not last too long 🙂

Here the aim is to build Su-30MK No:603 using Heller Su-27UB kit with minimum modifications (we will see 🙂 )

644.jpg

I have already made 3 view drawings of Su-30MK No:603 as given below:

su-30mk-no603.jpg

su-30mk-no603.jpg

su-30mk-no603.jpg

The next step will be to map camo onto model.

Serkan

Hi Serkan, I hope your resin pb will be resolved quickly...This SU-30 Number 603 is very nice-> Like this CAMO. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Neffan said:

Hi Serkan, I hope your resin pb will be resolved quickly...This SU-30 Number 603 is very nice-> Like this CAMO.  

Thanks Neffan, I hope too. Otherwise I might have to cast them with new resin again which is too much work.

• Like 1

I have started with upper half build:

645.jpg

and then the lower half:

656.jpg

Using magic tape I have put upper and lower halves as well as the nose cone together. After then I have taped the camouflage patterns onto aircraft:

657.jpg

658.jpg

663.jpg

As you can see from above pictures the camo patterns fit well at relatively flat surfaces like wings and fins but some modifications are necessary at curved areas like nose and spine.

The next step will be preparation of painting masks...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 6

I have placed all modified camo patterns on a blank paper and then scanned it. I have redrawn all modified polylines and vectorised them to be able to cut with plotter/cutter on Orafoil masking paper.

646.jpg

Then I placed masks onto aircraft to make final fit check:

647.jpg

648.jpg

The masks seem very good with sharp corners as desired.

The next step will be adding IFR probe and lights as well as shifting IR sensor to the right side...

Serkan

• Like 7

Both building IFR probe&lights and IR sensor from scratch is too much effort. I have decided to implant them from nose section of my ongoing T-10M project:

650.jpg

After carefully removing both IFR and IR details from resin casting nose part and opening a proper area in kit nose the implant has been placed successfully:

651.jpg

Using super glue and and putty the the implant has been done:

652.jpg

And adding IFR lights the nose modification has been completed.

655.jpg

The next step is to modify cockpit area 😀

Serkan

• Like 5

The frames surrounding the cockpit area was too wide compared to Trumpeter and Zvezda Flankers (lower picture). This has been corrected as shown below (upper picture):

653.jpg

Also the cockpit panels have been redrawn for Su-30MK:

654.jpg

Next step will be the final touches before priming the aircraft.

Serkan

• Like 5

Thanks Andre,

As I have "cloned" Zvezda Su-27UB fins, I have decided to use them hence they are better than Heller fins.

664.jpg

But this replacement requires removal of fin roots from fuselage aft area as well as HTP actuator part.

665.jpg

The kit nozzles and engine upper contour seem a bit unrealistic. Therefore I have decided to use Revell/Zvezda Su-27 nozzle parts.

669.jpg

But Heller nozzles are a bit undersized. Therefore as the next step the engine cowling area must be modified to fit Revell/Zvezda nozzle parts.

Serkan

• Like 3

The next modification is on engine area. The shape of engine cowling as well as the nozzles has to be improved. The upper side needs some touches to correct the engine contour as seen in my previous post above. Here is the close view:

671.jpg

The lower side seems not so bad but still has to be modified to fit Zvezda/Revell nozzle.

670.jpg

The first step is to  remove  nozzle rings:

672.jpg

673.jpg

674.jpg

Here are the replacement parts from Zvezda/Revell kit:

675.jpg

676.jpg

The slots have been opened on both upper and lower surfaces to match the replacement parts diameter. Here are the modification steps from  upper left to bottom right:

666.jpg

I have also removed wing tip launchers and replaced nose cone with Zvezda/Revell one:

667.jpg

668.jpg

The next steps will be:

+ to fill all the gaps and opened slots with putty

+ to add launchers, MLG uplock fairings and ventral fins from Zvezda/Revell kit

+ to coat the model with primer

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 4

On 4/22/2019 at 9:37 AM, Serkan Sen said:

Also the cockpit panels have been redrawn for Su-30MK:

Serkan,

603 didn't have the standard Su-30 cockpit, it was basic Su-27UB with a large monitor added to the rear cockpit.

Here's my 1/48 attempt from years ago(currently being restored) and the real one below.

0bMxXY2.jpgxSYkMVI.jpg?1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, paulsbrown said:

603 didn't have the standard Su-30 cockpit, it was basic Su-27UB with a large monitor added to the rear cockpit.

Thanks for valuable feedback Paul. I should have had to check the reference books before spending time to modify instrument panels but I can use them for my other Su-30M derivatives. 🙂

By the way did you finish your marvellous T-10M1 build?

Serkan

• Like 2

Yes, I don't think you'll have any problems fitting in new instrument panels in such a large cockpit.

12 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

By the way did you finish your marvellous T-10M1 build?

Yes I did.  I'm glad I finally finished it as it's one of my all time favorite schemes. I'm currently building it's US analog.

4 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

Yes I did.  I'm glad I finally finished it as it's one of my all time favorite schemes. I'm currently building it's US analog.

My apologies for missing your post. These builds are awesome (background as well)!.. I am afraid my finished 1:72 T-10Ms won't look as beautiful as yours. 😞

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some more progress:

Before applying primer coat I have replaced Heller nose cone, MLG uplock fairings and wing tip missile launchers with Revell/Zvezsda parts:

698.jpg

And here are all the parts with primer applied:

699.jpg

706.jpg

And close view to nose area shows added IRS and IFR lights:

709.jpg

712.jpg

The port and starboard side views:

713.jpg

The old and new IRS together:

700.jpg

And the removed mid one:

704.jpg

Now the windshield has to be polished and front/aft instrument panels' upper pads will be painted to black (as far as I see from reference pictures) before placing canopy parts for final painting.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 3

I was not very happy with the original instrument panel upper pad. Therefore I decided to adopt this part from my T-10M family conversion project based on Zvezda/Revell Su-27SM. Here is the comparison of both parts:

751.jpg

750.jpg

Here is the removed upper pad from resin part:

752.jpg

Below pictures show the replacement process:

753.jpg

The result seems not bad at all:

754.jpg

The next step is to apply first primer to modified area and then coat with black both front and rear instrument panel upper pads...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 3

Now all modified areas have been coated with primer:

755.jpg

And close view of cockpit area:

756.jpg

757.jpg

The clear parts have been dipped into Future/Pledge:

758.jpg

The front and rear instrument panel pads were painted to black and the canopy parts have been masked with Oramask film:

759.jpg

And coated with primer:

760.jpg

The next step is to place cockpit parts and apply camouflage colours.

Serkan

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

After a very long break, I am back to complete this nice kit. Before applying camouflage patterns I have started to paint engine area. The entire engine area outer border was masked. The first layer is bright aluminum for access doors:

1581.jpg

The little masks are for all these access doors and covers on upper and lower surfaces.

Serkan

• Like 2

Four different Alclad metal paints were applied to paint engine area, namely aluminum, magnesium, steel and titanium. Here is the status after final coat:

1582.jpg

1583.jpg

The wonderful thing with the Alclad metal paints is the incredible fast drying time. As base coat I have also used Alclad gray primer, therefore I don't expect any problem with masking.

Serkan

• Like 3

On 3/24/2020 at 5:42 PM, Hook said:

Great update! My Zvezda Su-30's are beginning to tempt me.

Cheers,

Andre

I have also two Zvezda Su-30SM kits in my stash. I will paint one of them with Su-30MKM camouflage:

su-30mkm-blue-04.jpg

su-30mkm-blue-04.jpg

Serkan

• Like 3