HS-125 - ZF130 - Blue Vixen Trials

wp2de82f9c_05_06.jpg

This one proved a lot more difficult than I thought it would, but I reckon the end result is worth it.

wpf20a63b4_05_06.jpg

It's an old 1/72 Matchbox HS125 converted to become the Blue Vixen (Sea Harrier FA2) radar/weapons integration trials aircraft, using putty and elbow grease!

wp6f66bd23_05_06.jpg

The nose was cloned from an Airfix FA2, using silicon and Milliput, to give me:

 New nose

 Block unused cabin windows

 Stbd Cockpit modifications (but only those that can be seen!)

 Doppler altimeter fairing under fuselage

 Wing Pylon

 Various underwing strakes and flap operating fairings

 Open up and fill landing lights

 Open up and fill Nav Lights

 Add new antennae 

wpb459f27e_05_06.jpg

wpff246502_05_06.jpg

wp09469081_05_06.jpg

FredT :)

Edited by gengriz
Better pictures added!
  • Like 59
  • Thanks 4

Thanks all.  As an update, I've managed to dig out my other 125 and photo them together (Airfix, out the box):

DSC_3245.JPG

• Like 5

That is superb! I remember seeing it at an airshow many moons ago, Woodford probably. Very well made and a fantastic subject. Proving hard to get hold of these kits now, and Dominies. Maybe there'll be a reissue sometime.

On 4/19/2019 at 2:26 PM, davepb said:

Lovely job. I'vemade a resin casting of the nose, simple replacement of the nose cone.  Also have pictures of the cockpit conversions to the RH seat, with HUD and joystick.

Dave

Resin nose for sale?

That is brilliant Fred,..... well done indeed!! I`ve always fancied doing this aircraft but the cheat line has put me off,..... so hats off to you for your bravery and top marks for completion,...... a worthy addition to any Fleet Air Arm collection!!! 

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony - you have no idea how infuriating that blasted cheat line was. I tried masking and painting it first - a disaster ensued, so then I sanded it all back off, revealing the carefully hidden grey coat under the white, so then I set about painting the (5 coats of) white all over again...... and so on.  I then made up some inkjet decals for the thin stripes along the fuselage, but they stretched and broke, so I started all over again!   In the end it was inkjet decals for the thin bit and masking for the engines/tail.    They still need a little tidying up. 

Next up - the original raspberry ripple Dominie (XW930) with the Blue Vixen nose! 

FredT )

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gengriz said:

Thanks Tony - you have no idea how infuriating that blasted cheat line was. I tried masking and painting it first - a disaster ensued, so then I sanded it all back off, revealing the carefully hidden grey coat under the white, so then I set about painting the (5 coats of) white all over again...... and so on.  I then made up some inkjet decals for the thin stripes along the fuselage, but they stretched and broke, so I started all over again!   In the end it was inkjet decals for the thin bit and masking for the engines/tail.    They still need a little tidying up. 

Next up - the original raspberry ripple Dominie (XW930) with the Blue Vixen nose! 

FredT )

Which is why I didn`t build it,.....even though the scheme is nice LOL!!! You really have done a lovely job mate!!

The Raspberry Ripple one should look stunning,... I`ll look forward to that one!! I was toying with doing an overall Dark Sea Grey what if operational trainer,..... similar to the 2 seat Hunters!! 

Cheers,

Tony