Studio Scale (1:24) Angel Interceptor from Captain Scarlet

With the weather improving this weekend, some progress has been made...

First off the nose has been glued to the fuselage using epoxy glue:

DSC_2759.JPG

Bit of a gap at the top but that can be filled. next the mesh has been attached to the tail front section

DSC_2762.JPG

I've deliberately left the bottom part off as this needs to sit flush with the fuselage to fit

DSC_2764.JPG

DSC_2763.JPG

The engine exhaust has been given a coat of Halfords Aluminium - i LOVE this paint!

DSC_2765.JPG

Its beginnign to come together!!

DSC_2766.JPG

As I said earlier, filling the gap would not be difficult...

DSC_2767.JPG

All those voids, holes and gaps noted previosuly have also been filled and sanded and are looking okay - I think!

DSC_2768.JPG

Other wing...

DSC_2769.JPG

Tail

DSC_2770.JPG

Finally for this update, the instrument panel has had dials added via Airscale 1:24 Modern jets set

DSC_2773.JPG

I've glued the front of the tail to the back of the tail this afternoon - there will be a big gap dues to the steel mesh but thats what P38 was invented for wasn't it :) More later...

• Like 3

This will be my last update for a short while as I have to go into hospital tomorrow for a minor hernia repair operation, so that means it'll be a couple of weeks probably before I can get back into the swing of things. Anyway the finaly update from yesterday's work is all good... First off the tail. I forgot to take a pic of the two parts of the tail joined but showing the large gap caused by the wire mesh. However, after some P38 and sanding it ended up looking like this:

DSC_2775.JPG

You can see from the filler how big the gap was! The darker patches aren't gaps, just where the superglue acted as a filler rather than P38 :) From the other side:

DSC_2774.JPG

After the nose sanding from earlier in the day, I gave it a coat of filler primer - you can'tr see it well on the pic but there is a visible indent along the joint.

DSC_2776.JPG

So it was out with the P38 again and after a while, it was sanded back again to give this:

DSC_2777.JPG

DSC_2778.JPG

Then one final blast with the primer and all is well!

DSC_2780.JPG

Back in a couple of weeks all being well!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm back! The hernia repair operation went well and I've been gradually recovering over the last week and a half, so much so that the last couple of days I was able to make some more progress on this out in the garden when the sun was shining!

First off, I added the skids to the of the wings using epoxy. This resulted on the starboard wing with a large uneven gap that had to be filled with P38 and sanded smooth. The P38 did show some small voids which then got refilled and sanded

DSC_2791.JPG

On the port wing, things were much simpler and the filler required was minimal.

DSC_2792.JPG

When the primer was applied it looked fine

DSC_2799.JPG

Looking good so far!

DSC_2793.JPG

Next was the final round of filling and sanding the joint on the tail. This turned out well too - just a tiny bit of filler on the front bulge of the tail

DSC_2795.JPG

DSC_2796.JPG

The canard next: A few pinholes needed filling but its turned out okay. I've filled most of the panel lines on this as they will get redrawn in pencil.

DSC_2797.JPG

The never-ending saga of the tailplane next... I sanded it again and filled the panel lines but while doing this uncovered a load more pinholes. Here you see it coated with filler ready for sanding back. it took several rounds of this to get all the pinholes filled and I used the same technique as before with a fire wire. It turned out okay in the end.

DSC_2798.JPG

Time now to attach the tail! First I roughened the two mating surfaces with some coarse sanding to give somethign for the epoxy to grip into. Then it was a good layer of epoxy applied all over the tail mating surface and gently aligning it into place. The joint with the spine is a critical location to get right. I put enough epoxy on to make sure there was a bit of seepage out the side of the joint.

DSC_2800.JPG

This will be the critical joint later when it comes to blending in as this is all supposed to be smooth.

DSC_2801.JPG

A couple of places needed an extra helping of epoxy to fill gaps that had appeared. This will get sanded down later.

DSC_2802.JPG

Finally for this update, the fitting of the nose skid. This is a 4mm steel rod. I originally tested the height out using a plastic rod that I was able to trim down to give the right height for this to sit. The rod in the end came out at 80mm, which when fitted gave a 75mm from ground to underside of nose clearance which is about right.

DSC_2804.JPG

Now its REALLY beginnign to look the part!!!

DSC_2805.JPG

Last night I spent several hours sanding that tail joint. Some more P38 was applied over the upper fuselage joint and then sanded smooth again but I forgot to take photos. Its now down in the garden with the primer drying... More later!

• Like 6

Glad all went well with your Hernia Op

Glad to see you back but do take it steady and easy!

She's looking mighty  smart and FLAWLESS  work.

Keep it up.

Thank you 

HOUSTON   :clap:

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, recovery is slow, still a lot of discomfort and not able to drive yet, but its all about patience and not pushing too hard. I'm doing daily walks to get things working again but its a matter of pacing yourself and not pushing too far.

Anyway, breaking news! The primer has dried and here are the results... the upper surface joint is looking pretty good to me

DSC_2806.JPG

Considering the mess it was in at one point (forgot to take photo) I'm very pleased with this. However... (deep breath), the starboard side of the tail isn't looking that great

DSC_2807.JPG

I've exaggerated the contrast a bit to show it up - there is still a considerable amount of 'blobbyness' with the dried epoxy along the joint. I'll have to get the sanders out again... sigh... However... (sigh of relief) the port side is looking mighty fine, in fact I would almost be prepared to say 'shiny'!

DSC_2808.JPG

So this afternoon I think I'm going to be doing some more sanding... well that'll make a change from... er... sanding...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So here we go, major milestone reached... assembly is complete - well apart from the cockpit that is!

DSC_2819.JPG

The tail got added earlier in the week, although it took two attempts after the first time I realised it was on crooked after the epoxy had set :( That involved getting the saw out to cut through the epoxy and try to avoid damaging the resin. Thankfully it was a success and the tail got reattached

DSC_2820.JPG

I also drilled out a hole for the retro rocket and added a ring cut from some plastic tube - got TONS of that left over after the Oil Platform build a couple years back :)

The canards got attached - again this took two attempts to get level and straight, but this was super-glued rather than epoxyed

DSC_2821.JPG

The wing fences were added, again attached with superglue and needed a little bit of smoothing to belnd in

DSC_2822.JPG

and just to prove that everything is level and even...

DSC_2828.JPG

After this, the yellow primer was given a mild sanding with wet and dry and when that was all clean by yesterday I gave it the first coat of white primer. This has shown up a few more holes and voids along the wing leading edges... sigh :( I've jsut given it another light sanding down with wet and dry and once its dried off look like I'll need some more filler. That will make a change... 

• Like 5

Here it is now in white primer - this was one of the earlier coats which has been wet'n'dry'd back and re-primered several times since this, each time producing a better, smoother finish

DSC_2832.JPG

DSC_2833.JPG

Because I can't drive after my operation 3 weeks ago, a couple of days back I got a taxi to take me to the nearest Halfords which is about a mile and a half away, so I could stock up on white primer and appliance gloss white and then walked home. It was a good walk but I was tired at the end of it,  and I've now got a good supply of paint for the next stage :)

• Like 2

Very nice work.

You've pretty much wrestled that out of a block of resin... your persistence has paid off handsomely.

That IP looks very much like a P-51... prob blagged from the old Airfix kit.. :)

Nice work, look forward to seeing her all painted and decalled up.

Matt

Hi Kallisti!

Sorry to here You've been going through the mill health-wise too, I'm on the walking regime too,just got back from My first 10 minute one!

Take heed of Bigdaves warning about lifting though!

Not been able to get back on Mine yet, been sorting and shredding about 10 Years worth of paperwork to keep Me busy, I think Nursie (My good Lady Lisa!) may give Me clearance to do a card model sat comfy at the table where She can keep an eye on Me ( She is building a Tamiya 1/6 Monkey Bike at the minute).

Best wishes for Your continued recovery!

Keep Sticking!         Cheers, Pete

• Like 1

On 05/06/2019 at 19:39, Kallisti said:

Here it is now in white primer - this was one of the earlier coats which has been wet'n'dry'd back and re-primered several times since this, each time producing a better, smoother finish

DSC_2832.JPG

DSC_2833.JPG

Because I can't drive after my operation 3 weeks ago, a couple of days back I got a taxi to take me to the nearest Halfords which is about a mile and a half away, so I could stock up on white primer and appliance gloss white and then walked home. It was a good walk but I was tired at the end of it,  and I've now got a good supply of paint for the next stage :)

You have made an impeccable construction !!!

Regards.

I have a feeling someone is trying to increase their post count :) Never mind...

Now that the weather has improved, ie its not pi... persistently raining progress has moved on.  The first coat of Halfords Appliance White has gone down. This was applied direct from the aerosol can and as such suffers the usual problems... some parts show an orange-peel surface texture and others have paint runs.

DSC_2835.JPG

These have now all been wet-n-dry sanded to a smooth surface ready for the second coat. The deep gouges in the wings that were supposed to represent panel lines have been successfully smoothed out and are no longer so obvious. I've not zoomed in or cropped these photos to try to give a better idea of the size of this thing!

DSC_2836.JPG

Once this has dried out (it had a wash after the sanding) it will get its next coat of gloss white and if that is okay, then that will be it for the top coat, I'll be able to move onto the detail painting of the cockpit, tail intakes and decals! Wow!!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

More progress yesterday and today before the weather went bad this afternoon...

DSC_2837.JPG

All masked up ready for the red stripes along the spine and aroudn the intakes and the front of the skids. The trick with this amount of masking it to give it a spray of the base colour to seal any gaps to minimise the page seepage. The red was applied yesterday and allowed to cure overnight before starting on the black today. Of course the biggest feature of the Angel is the big A on the underside

DSC_2838.JPG

Here I used the kit supplied pre-cut mask positive A to locate the correct position. I then used it as a guide to lay down the tamiya maskign tape around it so that when the vinyl was peeled off, this left the A ready to paint.

DSC_2839.JPG

Masking the anti-glare panel on the nose. This was quite tricky as it is a very complex compound curved surface! For the tail, there are pre-cut masks supplied which go down well.

DSC_2840.JPG

Then finally, all the masking and protection can be removed and voila!

DSC_2841.JPG

There was minimal touch ups required I'm pleased to say. although the 'pills' on the intakes were trickier than I expected! The curve in the spine where the tail meets the fuselage was also tricky and needed some careful touch ups. On the other hand though, the underside A was flawless!

DSC_2843.JPG

As were the tail markings

DSC_2844.JPG

There is one more red stripe to do which is under the cockpit - I couldn't see an easy way to mask it with everything else yesterday so I left it for after everything else has been done and I can re-mask and spray it.

DSC_2846.JPG

• Like 10

Next step was drawing the panel lines in with an H pencil. I used some Dymo label maker tape as a straight edge as it can stick down nicely and peel off again without damaging the surface.

DSC_2847.JPG

Once the lines were drawn, various smudges had to be cleaned off and then the whole lot was protected with a coat of Halfords Clear Lacquer. Because this is a 'hot' lacquer, this did cause some minor issues with the existing red paint - some white spots appeared but were easy to fix once everything had cured. 

DSC_2849.JPG

You'' also notice the cockpit has been given its intiial coat of cockpit green. This will then get some more paint to pick out the details and a wash to emphasise. The next task is decals!

DSC_9192.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dacals on!!!

DSC_2850.JPG

The decals from jBOT were superb, thin and flexible. I added a few from the spares box, particularly various 'No Step' decals you see on flying surfaces on aircraft.

DSC_2851.JPG

Details have been painted in the cockpit and this has now had two coats of Klear to protect the decals. Next steps will be to matt coat the main body then finally add the metallic exhaust and final assembly of the cockpit.

The finish line is getting closer!!!

• Like 8