Hi all,

I feel a bit ambivalent towards this build. I was expecting it to be an easy one, as the Tamiya kit is excellent and I was looking forward to the mottling. But, through my own ham-fistedness a lot of little things went wrong and it became a trial. Not least of which was the problem that I just couldn't get the paint mix and pressure right to do the mottling as I wanted it. I had to settle for a bad job in the end, and then found out my airbrush needle was slightly bent! A replacement needle, and everything works fine now, but it's too late for this build. Even the photography is a bit lacklustre...I took some lovely photos in the sunshine yesterday, only for the memory card to be completely wiped before I could download them. Time to move on...

Here's the walk around:

mes1_zpsrfcq501e.jpg

mes2_zps1e4moed1.jpg

mes3_zpseyoyuxh5.jpg

mes4_zpsk8vf62he.jpg

mes5_zpscyv8kc3q.jpg

mes6_zpso0r2la1j.jpg

mes7_zpsqenrtiyv.jpg

mes8_zpssxwtqa9o.jpg

Here's the crawl around:

mes9_zpscnmzivr4.jpg

mes10_zpsbtvyvgiw.jpg

mes11_zpsyyx9pjyn.jpg

mes12_zpsoxo865de.jpg

...and the fly around:

mes13_zpsu0lfcd5g.jpg

mes14_zpsuheffduo.jpg

mes17_zpsk5y3sodl.jpg

mes16_zpsevjycxe4.jpg

Here's to the next one...

Dean

• Like 29

This s a treat for me seen as I have two of these on the bench right now. It looks very nice to say the least. I can't see myself making them this good.

I would say the mottling is very well done even with the issue you had.

What paint did you use. I'm looking for some for my recon Me 262.

Edited by Greg Law

Very neat build, enhancing the clean lines of the 262.

Since the panel joints on the original were puttied and sanded down, it's good to see the absence of a misplaced dark wash to make them stand out!

Kind regards,

Joachim

14 hours ago, Greg Law said:

This s a treat for me seen as I have two of these on the bench right now. It looks very nice to say the least. I can't see myself making them this good.

I would say the mottling is very well done even with the issue you had.

What paint did you use. I'm looking for some for my recon Me 262.

Thanks Greg...I used Gunze H417 for the RLM76 light blue, H421 for the RLM81 brown/violet and H422 for the RLM82 light green. 

10 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Very nice...  Particular favourite of mine the Me 262.

Not really a critism, but your mottling is perhaps a little too perfect. 

That's my view, too...it's just too regular. Mind you, I've seen a lot worse on the real thing during my research:

mottle_zpszvig6jih.jpg

but it's not the look I was going for at all...

2 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Since the panel joints on the original were puttied and sanded down, it's good to see the absence of a misplaced dark wash to make them stand out!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim, I'm moving away from stark panel lines these days. I only washed the areas around the control surfaces and several removable panels, and I didn't do any weathering as these planes weren't in service for that long.

Dean

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Kind regards,

Joachim

You are right with that. I was also reading yesterday that the Ar 234 was the same. 

I'm planning on doing a Kommando Nowotny Me 262 A-1a white 4. It has very interesting tail scheme. Also Kommando Nowotny became part of Jg7.

Edited by Greg Law
  • Like 1

Joachim

I new I knew this plane. It was flown by Major Heinz Bar the Kommander of III /EJG 2.

On the 19 March 1945 he shot down a P-51 

Is the scheme you painted as shown in the kit or was it of your own making. I ask because the real plane Is painted very differently.it appears to be more blotchy. 

This is not a criticism of your model l'm sure I couldn't do it as well as you have done. I just want to know if the Tamiya scheme is incorrect.

Edited by Greg Law

On 20 April 2019 at 8:42 PM, Greg Law said:

Joachim

I new I knew this plane. It was flown by Major Heinz Bar the Kommander of III /EJG 2.

On the 19 March 1945 he shot down a P-51 

Is the scheme you painted as shown in the kit or was it of your own making. I ask because the real plane Is painted very differently.it appears to be more blotchy. 

This is not a criticism of your model l'm sure I couldn't do it as well as you have done. I just want to know if the Tamiya scheme is incorrect.

To be honest Greg, I can't remember how it compares to the painting guide, as it's in the bin now. It didn't come out as I wanted, that's all I know.

Cheers,

Dean