Lockheed F-5G recce Lightning

ReccePhreak

I finally got a Hasegawa 1/48 P-38L kit, to use my Paragon F-5G conversion on.

Now my decision is what markings to do it in.

A Google search for F-5G photos proved pretty fruitless, most of the F-5 recce Lightning photos being the F-5E.

That is especially true for aftermarket decals, with NONE for the F-5G, but many for the F-5E.

Does anybody here have any profiles or photos of an F-5G during WW2? It seems some of them were modified after the war to be used by photo survey companies. I do not want to do one of those.

Larry

A few pictures from ebay auctions, most probably showing F-5Gs from 41st Photo Recon Squadron based in Guam in the summer of 1945, black tail tips, and red tip on spinners, if my information is correct.

CDW1oWr.jpg

967xosh.jpg

oIh5kKE.jpg

Laurent

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

RP,

It's going to be pretty hard to find photos of operational F-5G's, I think, because they were all modifications of production P-38L's, I doubt any made it to the ETO or MTO, but went to the PTO because of the late date they were manufactured. The photos Laurent has posted  are more than  I have ever seen before or have in my reference library, but I did find a few photos of lesser quality that I have posted below as a link. Not surprisingly, many of the restored/airworthy  P-38's are former F-5G's that have been converted back to P-38L's, most likely because  they were very low-time airframes when they were surplused at the end of the war. Going to be very shiny but very plain! You might also do a photo search of the various PR squadrons to see what they might have in their archives. Best I can do, sorry!

Mike

http://vintageairphotos.blogspot.com/2012/01/pacific-photo-lightnings.html

Thanks Laurent & Mike! :worthy:

Great photos of the F-5Gs, especially the closeup on the nose. I kinda figured that they would be natural metal, that late in the war.

I will have to practice on doing a natural metal plane, before I attempt my F-5G. 

Larry

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, silberpferd said:

The name appears to be "Lucious Lucille"

According to the ASN database, she was destroyed on Guam June 20, 1946 during Typhoon Dolly while in outdoor storage, along with seventeen other F-5G's and a single  P-38L. (They were probably all new aircraft with just ferry time on them-very sad!)

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1