Classic Clips from tv and film.

Vince1159

Best war series by far in the 60s was Combat.  Based on a company travelling through Germany throughout the war.............episode one starts in England prior to embarking the ships for the D-Day.  The 45 minute episode usually featured a guest star/celebrity hroughout its 152 episodes, heres just one featuring James Coburn playing a superb part.........all these episodes can be seen on YouTube

• Like 2

On 2/5/2021 at 10:52 AM, Vince1159 said:

The best version of the Titanic ever made...

A great film, watched it on Friday morning on Talking Pictures TV.  Kenneth More was the ideal actor to play Lightoller.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 10:52 AM, Vince1159 said:

The best version of the Titanic ever made...

Apparently a lot of the panicking and fleeing passenger scenes were taken from a money-no-object Nazi propaganda film about the sinking.  It was supposed to show how the English class system would fall apart but by the time it was finished Goebbels et al realised at a prescreening that it was uncomfortably comparable to the current state of Germany so was canned.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, malpaso said:

Apparently a lot of the panicking and fleeing passenger scenes were taken from a money-no-object Nazi propaganda film about the sinking.  It was supposed to show how the English class system would fall apart but by the time it was finished Goebbels et al realised at a prescreening that it was uncomfortably comparable to the current state of Germany so was canned.

I've been thinking about getting that version but the prices are a bit steep so it'll have to wait,i've got Kolberg which isn't a bad film but considering the amount of troops taken from the Russian front to act as extra's you have to ask yourself was it worth it...

7 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

That's brilliant fatfingers,i wonder if the ambulance missing the police car at 39:49 was fantastic driving or just luck....

Probably luck i imagine.. had to chuckle when the coppers were sliding along the motorway! Also liked the bit where the Firemen were man handling the Morris Ital off the front of what looked like a Triumph Herald! I can remember that winter well. Snow was deep enough to go over the tops of my wellies! 

Regards,

Steve

Edited by fatfingers
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 10:23 AM, RAF4EVER said:

ZULU, as far as I am concerned one of the best films of the 60`s,it could never be remade.

Final Attack:

There's a very good book about the making of the film https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zulu-Some-Behind-Making-Movie/dp/0956683460/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1OWPWCBPRXBHU&dchild=1&keywords=sheldon+hall&qid=1614285912&sprefix=sheldon+hall%2Caps%2C914&sr=8-2

Tells you everything you want to know about the film.  There's a very good story from David Kernan, who played Private Fred Hitch.  His agent rang him to tell him Stanley Baker wanted him to appear in his new film Zulu as Private Hitch.  Not Kernan's usual type of role, 'Imaginative casting!', though Kernan.  There was no audition, and next thing Kernan is on the aircraft to go to South Africa.  Along comes Stanley Baker, talking to the actors on the aircraft, comes to Kernan, looks at him and says 'Who the **** are you?'  'I'm David Kernan, I'm playing Hitch'.  'No you're not', says Baker.  'Well, you're here now, so you might as well come along and do it'.  It seems that Baker had told his casting director he wanted the man from 'That Was The Week That Was[ whose name began with a 'K', so the casting director hired David Kernan.  However, also appearing on 'That Was The Week That Was', was Roy Kinnear, and it was Kinnear that Baker had wanted.  Ah well, David Kernan did very well in the part, but I do  wonder how Roy Kinnear would have done as Fred Hitch.

• Like 1