Classic Clips from tv and film.

Vince1159

That's the problem these days when it comes to war films there's no real accuracy,unlike your clip and Waterloo/Tora Tora Tora/Midway and other 60's/70's blockbusters,then again who could afford thousands of extras,just imagine how much it would be to recreate the battle from Waterloo...I have to admit though i didn't mind 1917 all in all it was entertaining...Another 50's classic...

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 2

The trouble with '1917' is that, whilst entertaining, there were too many 'What the f....' moments in it.  I mean, the two main characters, after creeping across no-man's land, through the enemy trench system, dugout, gun line find themselves at a farm.  Shortly after, a lorry full of British soldiers turns up at the same farm.  Where did they come from?  The raging torrent of a river that the character jumped into - why, there isn't a river like that in that part of France.  I could go on, but won't, don't want BM'ers rolling their eyes at this post.  

I think I should have posted this in the Grump section!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 593jones said:

The trouble with '1917' is that, whilst entertaining, there were too many 'What the f....' moments in it.  I mean, the two main characters, after creeping across no-man's land, through the enemy trench system, dugout, gun line find themselves at a farm.  Shortly after, a lorry full of British soldiers turns up at the same farm.  Where did they come from?  The raging torrent of a river that the character jumped into - why, there isn't a river like that in that part of France.  I could go on, but won't, don't want BM'ers rolling their eyes at this post.  

I think I should have posted this in the Grump section!

I know what you mean it's not as though it would be difficult to do a bit of research to get major things like rivers right before they start filming...

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 10:08 AM, Beermonster1958 said:

And the late Anton Diffring just owned the role of Heydrich. A  fine actor who was somewhat underrated in my opinion. Definitely a face that launched 1000 Nazis though!!

It was a good film but,  even better versions of the same story were "Anthropoid" and, "The Man With the Iron Heart", the latter with Reinhard Heydrich as the leading character.

John

Talking of Operation Daybreak (Anthropoid),

On a recent visit to Prague I managed to find St Cyril's church where the Czech parachutists were holed up. I managed to get into the crypt. Very moving experience. 

51572104928_47cd691bdb_h.jpg

51572786400_341c6da8e4_h.jpg

51572533594_74e5d75045_h.jpg

51572116193_edfb060208_h.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2