1/48 Airfix Hurricane Mk I

This is my first go at a 1/48 kit - I've always preferred 1/72 but my eyes are beginning to complain!  It's an OOB build which is actually out of the box. Nothing added at all, which I now regret as the wonderfully detailed cockpit that Airfix supply is crying out for some etched seat belts. Oh well..

gPmI5rZh.jpg

bUGC7aZh.jpg

DDk49e6h.jpg

xLUH9mth.jpg

8Ccdu6Lh.jpg

tUIxqyah.jpg

Sdo189Bh.jpg

Happy Easter Hols!

Ian

• Like 58

4 hours ago, markmcguire25 said:

Awesome job! I've picked up one of these to build a 303Sq representation. Any construction tips you'd like to share?

Thanks Mark.

It's worth making sure the wing spars and cockpit are all nice and square and seated on the bottom wing. I had a few problems getting the top wing to fit over the assembly - probably down to my ineptitude rather than the kit - and had to hack the spars quite a bit. It didn't matter as I wasn't going to open up the gun bays. Other than that, no problems at all and typically new-tool Airfix - dry fit everything at least twice and give all the mating surfaces a swipe or two with a sanding stick. I have to say the wing to fuselage join is very good. No filler is required anywhere really, except on a couple of nasty sink holes on the tailplane root.

Ian

• Like 1

Very nice Hurricicane, making the same kit at the moment and the general fit is excellent, mine to had the sink holes on the tail.

Plastics very soft so don't go crazy with the sanding stick

• Like 1

A very 'right' looking Hurricane!

While it is supposed to be a truly 'out of box' OOB build, in 1:48th I guess a strue, or Uschi van der Rosten elastic thread, aerial wire wouldn't have been entirely out of place…

Splendid modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

That is a lovely job Ian.  I still have three of these in the loft and this might just encourage me to get one out.

BRILLIANT JOB SIR :clap2:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

A very 'right' looking Hurricane!

While it is supposed to be a truly 'out of box' OOB build, in 1:48th I guess a strue, or Uschi van der Rosten elastic thread, aerial wire wouldn't have been entirely out of place…

Splendid modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim

I agree . I may well add the aerial wire in the future.