Filling advice

PhantomBigStu

This could go in the tools and tips forum, bt given the subject matter might get an answer here, trying to salvage this build, specifically broken off tail and missing canopy, how best to fill these such that it will look fine once the appliance white is sprayed, had no success with regular filler on the tail, and its not up to the job for the canopy. 

32692951887_300f18e9f1_b.jpg32692951907_cd33ddccdb_b.jpg

I like using stretched sprue. Stick it over the gap with tamiya extra thin and gently press it in while it is still soft (not with your fingers).

img_20190403_205011080.jpg?w=736

img_20190403_214743239.jpg?w=736

And sand it.

img_20190404_203912137.jpg?w=736

You might need to repeat the proccess in some spots.

• Thanks 1

Unless you are absolutely determined to have transparent cockpit windows the most practical way to deal with the missing windscreen is to superglue plastic "pillars" where the actual pillars are on the real aircraft then fill with Milliput (absolutely NOT with Green Stuff, Plasto, Humbrol Filler or anything else of that nature), sand when dry, paint over it and use an Authentic Airliners windscreen decal.  I've used AA windows and windscreens since they came on the market and this shows the result on an A321.

I usually fill fuselage seams and the like with superglue applied with a pin. The only thing to watch is that you have to sand it down within 5-10 minutes of application otherwise it sets harder than the surrounding plastic.

Hope that's some help

Dave G

• Thanks 1

On my 1/72 Airfix Hurricane build, I've been using Mr. Surfacer 1000, applied with a cut-off sewing needle. I let that dry, then sand it lightly with 600 grit wet-dry sandpaper.

27870158927_5892864c01_c.jpg

27870158947_fd0e5bbe2d_c.jpg

Can't help with the windshield.

Chris

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Unless you are absolutely determined to have transparent cockpit windows the most practical way to deal with the missing windscreen is to superglue plastic "pillars" where the actual pillars are on the real aircraft then fill with Milliput (absolutely NOT with Green Stuff, Plasto, Humbrol Filler or anything else of that nature), sand when dry, paint over it and use an Authentic Airliners windscreen decal.  I've used AA windows and windscreens since they came on the market and this shows the result on an A321.

I usually fill fuselage seams and the like with superglue applied with a pin. The only thing to watch is that you have to sand it down within 5-10 minutes of application otherwise it sets harder than the surrounding plastic.

Hope that's some help

Dave G

They look so much better than just a black windscreen, or even clear

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks all for the advice, miliputed the pit and stenches spruced the tail, and will look out for the authentic decals for the windscreen :)

Look out for a pm

Fill the windshield and use a decals instead maybe? I've got an abandoned Revell A320, Ibroke the cockpit glass and chipped a sharklet (winglet) so I just can't be bothered to finish it with all the filling and a new tool of the neo version coming soon, and I plan to use decals on that if I ever decide to finish the build