H&S Ultra vs Sparmax Max-3

Evil_Toast_RSA

Both brushes fall inside my limited budget.

Which one would you recommend based on ease of use, reliability and general painting characteristics? Have an old Badger 200 for priming and base coating, but would like something for finer work.  

Thanks! 

Both would be good.  Any chance you can get to a retailer where you can handle both - because my best advice would be tge one that feels more comfortable in your hand.  I think I would prefer the Sparmax because having the webbing underneath suits my grip.

The H&S is probably easier to strip down, clean and maintain because of the nozzle design.

The H&S can be swapped between 0.2 and 0.4 so is more versatile.  In fact if you can pay a little extra and get the 2in1 version that works out cheaper than upgrading later.

One thing to be aware of - the H&S ultra and evolution do not come with paint cup lids - if you want them they are an extra purchase.

Also when buying, especially second hand, be aware that H&S have recently redesigned the needles - allegedly a little better.  So if buying new make sure you get a new version, or you are getting a nice discount for an old version.

There is an H&S Evolution 2in1 for sale here - looks great value

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

42 minutes ago, nheather said:

Also when buying, especially second hand, be aware that H&S have recently redesigned the needles - allegedly a little better.  So if buying new make sure you get a new version, or you are getting a nice discount for an old version.

There is an H&S Evolution 2in1 for sale here - looks great value

Care to elaborate on when the needle change happened? Also, any tips on identifying old from new (part code I guess)? 

Sadly buying from Blighty is going to be a problem on many levels. After postage and currency conversion, I run the risk of my item being on the wrong end of a five fingered discount when it reaches my shores, unless I insure, in which case I can buy it here new for the same price! Thanks for the link though. 

Both are good brushes, as has been said the Ultra Solo is more expandable & easier to strip down & clean.

Sparmax max3 is also a good traditional design gravity feed brush, fixed paint cup, slightly larger nozzle size and small cup.

Spares for both are reasonably priced, it's really about how if they are comfortable in the hand.

Personally I would probably go with the  Ultra as it does have some upgrade options and is easier to strip down  & clean.

V2 needles were first seen last November, as a dealer we now supply V2 needles with all new H&S brushes.

Paul 

V1 & V2 needles are fully interchangeable, V2 needles can be identified by the size indicator at the rear end of the needle which is quite distinctive;

airbannerdemonov18.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Care to elaborate on when the needle change happened? Also, any tips on identifying old from new (part code I guess)? 

Sadly buying from Blighty is going to be a problem on many levels. After postage and currency conversion, I run the risk of my item being on the wrong end of a five fingered discount when it reaches my shores, unless I insure, in which case I can buy it here new for the same price! Thanks for the link though. 

Sorry, didn’t spot you were in SA, just assumed you were in the UK.

Others have described when they were introduced, how to spot them and confirmed that they are interchangeable.

To be honest it is not 100% clear how the needles have changed functionally.  I’ve heard things like, made from harder metal, have a smoother finish, have a progressive taper, but I don’t think I have seen anything official from H&S.

To be honest, unless you are an airbrushing god you probably wouldn’t be able to notice the difference.  I mentioned it because if you are buying new and paying full price you may as well have a V2.  If you are being palmed off with a V1 then you could mention about the V2 and ask for a discount to take the V1.  When the needle eventually needs replacing, you will put a V2 then.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

13 minutes ago, nheather said:

Sorry, didn’t spot you were in SA, just assumed you were in the UK.

Others have described when they were introduced, how to spot them and confirmed that they are interchangeable.

To be honest it is not 100% clear how the needles have changed functionally.  I’ve heard things like, made from harder metal, have a smoother finish, have a progressive taper, but I don’t think I have seen any thingofficial from H&S.

To be honest, unless you are an airbrushing god you probably wouldn’t be able to notice the difference.  I mentioned it because if you are buying new and paying full price you may as well have a V2.  If you are being palmed off with a V1 then you could mention about the V2 and ask for a discount to take the V1.  When the needle eventually needs replacing, you will put a V2 then.

Cheers,

Nigel

No worries chap, my brother lives in the Dark Ages Cornwall, I just prefer it here. 

I was worried that the needles weren't interchangeable, and seeing as how I have the reflexes of a drunk jersey cow, spares are kind of important to me. But it turns out that's a non issue.