Vietnam GB Chat

trickyrich

Ok It’s been 6 years since we last had a GB on this subject and it was a very popular GB back then. So it’s probably time to dust it off and run it again.

There was nearly 30 years of conflict within this country and it neighbours with the First Indochina War starting in 1946 and ending in 1954. Then in November of 1955 the Second Indochina war started, at first sort of undeclared, but it slowly escalated to a significant conflict in the early 1960’s.

Both wars had profound affects of the country and people, and are even still felt even today, even on those outside countries involved, nearly 45 years later.

Even the way war was fought changed significantly during this conflict.  

This GB will cover any subject land, sea or air from any side and will be divided into the three following groups. 

First Indochina War 1946 to 1954

The Vietnam War (Second Indochina War) - 1955 to 1975

Present day – Post 1975 

A huge range of subjects available for this GB so I suspect most stashes will have something suitable. Plus there are some hugely popular subjects eligible for this GB as well, which I know will excite some members.

the list.....

1,  trickyrich             - Host

2, Wez

3, helios16v

4, CliffB

5, spaddad

6, LDSModeller

7, Corsairfoxfouruncle

8, Valkyrie

9, Bonhoff

10, modelling minion    - CoHost

11, whiskey

12, Arniec

13, DAG058

14, franky boy

15, TEMPESTMK5

16, Silenoz

17, Beazer

18, moviedrone

19, Dansk

20, Col.

21, theplasticsurgeon

22, Greg B

23, uncletommy

24, zebra

25, Black Knight 

26, exdraken

27, PhantomBigStu

28, Borisz

29, SAU

30, Hook                   :partytime:

• Like 2

welcome along

mmm I bet Phantoms and Scooters will be popular.

I'm using this as an excuse to build my new 1/32nd A-1E "Fat Face"....... though I have a 1/48th B-57G (resin and major work/mods required) or a 1/32nd O-2A FAC Skymaster are very real possibilities. Plus who knows what'll show up later in the year.... an 1/48th A-7 would be fun!

I do have an A-7D (couple actually)...would just need to track down period correct markings.

Oh wait, scratch that...I've got the perfect kit...

1/48 (Wolfpack) F-5A/C Skoshi Tiger.  They have a pretty cool history behind them too as a combat test/eval squadron for the USAF before deciding to purchase the A-7 as its choice of a light attack aircraft.

• Like 1

I've tried using therapy to help forget, but I do remember the trailing edges on all the surfaces were like bits 4x2 wood!! They are sooo thick and the Leading Edge extensions are just as bad. Trailing edge thickness scaled up ranged from 2" to 6" think in real life!

If you got one of the earlier releases they got the mouldings all wrong with one of the tip tanks, you got 2 LHS ones! Plus the fit of some of the panels (different ones for different versions left a lot to be desired. I was quite in love with the model at first sight, but once you get down to it!

She's an old (sort of) Kineticand the moulds were showing signs of age.

I'll post my build here, I know there's probably stuff I've forgotten, it sort of looked ok in the end.

Kinetic kit...that explains a lot.  😁   I imagine the build will be similar to my Mirage I converted into a RAAF IIIO.  In the end it looks ok, but took a bit of fiddling to get it there.  Had a look through your build, and it turned out pretty cracking in the end.  

• Thanks 1

Me too please! As Vietnam was the first helicopter war il do my first Huey...and just cannot not do a Scooter, might search for that Eduard dual Vietnam boxing of a MiG-21 and a Scooter?....

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 2

Oh bloody hell, here we go again! Too many excellent GB ideas!

Go on put my name down, especially as I've missed all the previous ones and have got an awful lot of eligible kits, though an Italeri AC-119 is probably the front runner at the moment, mind you I've got an AC-130 too and before the usual suspects chime in no I will NOT be building them both!

If you need a hand hosting this one Rich I'll happily put my name down.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Awwww come on Craig ... You know you want to ! :wicked: He says in his best impersonation of Enzo Matrix. 

I really DO want to but I know that there simply isn't enough time available to do them both, never mind the AC-47 which I also want to do that would complete the USAF Vietnam gunship trio. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Could be an excuse to build that Tamiya B52 that's currently working as loft insulation - Count me in.

IanJ

gosh it might be easier to build it up in the loft due to its size.

I remember seeing a couple of these during the "Pitch Black" exercise up in Darwin 1988 (one did a bombing run of the base). One of them flew in Operation Arc-light. The crew reckoned there was still shrapnel in the tail.

There's now one one permeant display at the aviation museum up there. 

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Oh bloody hell, here we go again! Too many excellent GB ideas!

Go on put my name down, especially as I've missed all the previous ones and have got an awful lot of eligible kits, though an Italeri AC-119 is probably the front runner at the moment, mind you I've got an AC-130 too and before the usual suspects chime in no I will NOT be building them both!

If you need a hand hosting this one Rich I'll happily put my name down.

Thats the idea! :D Either of those would be nice to see, the AC-119 would be a little bit different.

Thanks for that, you've managed to bet @Col., though I suspect he hasn't seen the thread.

Wow this is quite a popular subject from the response already, thanks for coming along, I've started the list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello Rich

Id be interested in this one. Please put me on the list.

My current thinking is a Thunderchief or a beaten up French Spitfire with a sharks mouth. 

Thanks

James

• Like 1

Time to dust down all the Vietnam movies, there’s a few! Top 3? Apocalypse Now purely for the chopper scene we all know, did DI DI DI do did did did DI do..Full Metal Jacket and... can’t pick one. If anyone hasn’t yet seen the American made 10 part documentary that was released last year, its fantastic! The Vietnam war, 18 hours of fact Ken Burns and Lynn Novak, a must see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1