Vietnam GB Chat

trickyrich

8 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Look @trickyrich it's a truck!

So, when do we start? 🙂 

:D, very nice! Hopefully most of the bits in that model will actually be usable!! Though I have a sneaking suspicion that won't stop you from "improving" on them!

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

At the moment I'm considering three different projects:

1.   Two OV-10 Broncos. One in the olive drab colour scheme and one in the overall light grey scheme.

2.   A dogfight double.   Cunningham and Driscoll's F-4J Showtime 100 v "Colonel Tomb"s Mig-17

3.   A 1/35 M551 Sheridan

However if the workload from other GBs permits, I will spare myself the agony of choice and just do 'em all!  :fool: 

besides from saying the obvious.... options 1 & 3 would be what I would be going with...though the Bronco has to be the KH 1/32nd beast for me! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Oooh I had forgotten about this GB. I recently required this little set so might be able to make up a nice USAF pairing.

I've also got an Eduard Spitfire IX and a Dauntless with 1947 French markings. So I should have something I can make up during the GB.

now a shiny F-104 would look very nice, the other choices are different and would be nice to see.

You may have to do an Enzo with these............build them all! :D

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

Hmmm this is tempting. 

An early wolfpack tomcat - check. 

Or

Eduard mig-21 pfm vietcong - check

Or 

Airfix new mig-17 - check. 

Loads to choose from in the stash...

ENZO ENZO ENZO!!!!!  :D

• Haha 2

Leaning towards my Cobra at this point...though progress on the B-25 is going to dictate my final decision.  I'd still really like to sneak in an Interceptor build too...

Maybe I'll knock out the little Cobra for the "official" Vietnam build, then do a Vietnam era Phantom for Interceptors....  :hmmm:

Or Cobra for Helo/VSTOL, OV-1B for Vietnam, and Phantom for Interceptors.....  :rofl2:

Too many potential builds, not enough time.  I need to win the lotto so I can retire.   

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, helios16v said:

Leaning towards my Cobra at this point...though progress on the B-25 is going to dictate my final decision.  I'd still really like to sneak in an Interceptor build too...

Maybe I'll knock out the little Cobra for the "official" Vietnam build, then do a Vietnam era Phantom for Interceptors....  :hmmm:

Or Cobra for Helo/VSTOL, OV-1B for Vietnam, and Phantom for Interceptors.....  :rofl2:

Too many potential builds, not enough time.  I need to win the lotto so I can retire.   

come on, you're a big boy now.....a wee Cobra!!!!  :nono:

Be a man and build a 1/32nd F-105G!!!! :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

Be a man and build a 1/32nd F-105G!!!! :D

I've only got two 1/32 aircraft to my name...a B-25J & an F-4G.  Unfortunately both outside of the Vietnam window.  :bleh:

A 1/32 Thud would be a rather imposing beastie.  I did restrain myself from buying a 1/32 Hasegawa lawn dart the other day.  I'm trying to prevent my Starfighter stash spiraling out of control like the Phantoms & Fishbeds.  

• Haha 2

I think this is what I'm leaning towards currently.....even though this GB would be a fine excuse to use up one of the plethora of Phantom kits in the stash.

49986524623_69bc459951_c.jpg

• Like 4

I had been looking at one of those as well.

I am actually a little worried about time I'll have to spend on my 1/32nd Skyraider, so have as a backup a Roden 1/32nd O-2A Skymaster which would be a nice build for this one as well. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

This is the trio I am currently looking at entering this GB with. Airfix MiG-17 probably joins the fun too, just that I don't currently have the kit.

But - as with the Nordic GB - this GB hits right in the middle of my area of interest. So, I have couple of 'Plan B's':

spacer.png

... just don't let Enzo know about them, okay? :P 

• Haha 6

@reini I can tell you are a man of discerning tastes.  :cheers:

That RB-66B would be cool to see.  That was one that got away for me.  I saw it on the shelf at the LHS a few years ago, and decided I wanted to research it a little bit more after seeing how Italeri dealt w/ the Jaguar Gr.1 landing gear.  By the time I said screw it, there really isn't another option it was gone.  I just haven't stumbled across one online for the right price (once you factor in shipping)...but I haven't really been actively looking either...the stash is already out of control.  :wacko: 

I need to find time to build more...and not take so long once I do start.

On 6/8/2020 at 7:53 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

At the moment I'm considering three different projects:

1.   Two OV-10 Broncos. One in the olive drab colour scheme and one in the overall light grey scheme.

2.   A dogfight double.   Cunningham and Driscoll's F-4J Showtime 100 v "Colonel Tomb"s Mig-17

3.   A 1/35 M551 Sheridan

However if the workload from other GBs permits, I will spare myself the agony of choice and just do 'em all!  :fool: 

W.W.E.M.D. ;) 

Oh, wait...

• Haha 5

Alriiiight I was able to purchase a mate for the M35 deuce and a half today! I wanted it badly for this GB but it took some patience because this kit isn't exactly readily available in the model shops. During lunch I tried again and it popped up somewhere. It's the M49 fuel tanker 🙂 

20200622143536-da1bb7a3-me.jpg

So now I'm going to do what @Enzo Matrix does AND BUILD THEM ALL!!  😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/06/2020 at 00:12, trickyrich said:

very nice....keep this up we may even call you "Son of Enzo".......hmmmm that's a scary thought! :D

I can't have children.

The authorities have said that it's not allowed because I'd just sell them off for medical experiments and buy kits with the money.

They're probably right.  :shrug: 

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I assume whifs won’t be allowed in this? Got the fancy for an operation bullseye b-58 till I heard it never served and probably never got the SEA paint. 

....and you guessed right.

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I can't have children.

The authorities have said that it's not allowed because I'd just sell them off for medical experiments and buy kits with the money.

They're probably right.  :shrug: 

and what's wrong with selling children???

Years ago I had to make a choice of selling my Demon Spawn or my 1970 classic muscle car!!!! Of course I was made to sell the car! :weep:  Ones like the one I had are now up around (and over) the 6 figure mark!!! What did I get from my Demon Spawn.....news I'm to be a grandfather!!! :wall:

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Is that frowned upon then?

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

news I'm to be a grandfather!!!

Congratulations Rich!

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

An excellent choice, both of aircraft and kit. I'm actually building one at the minute and I'm enjoying it, goes together pretty well for a Monogram kit.

The only problem I had with the one I built a few years ago was nose weight. I had a hard time getting enough in to stop it from tail sitting. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The only problem I had with the one I built a few years ago was nose weight. I had a hard time getting enough in to stop it from tail sitting. 

We have liquid gravity to put in the nose.   It's about time someone invented liquid cavorite to put in the tail. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3