Jump to content

Vietnam GB Chat


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

The stash has been calling to me and I have now decided to join the GB, so I will be joining with this one built as a RAAF aircraft

 

50306447493_cc33a8e483_b.jpg

Ooh! A Caribou!

A fantastic aircraft that fits the GB perfectly. There are many of us on here who would love one of these in the stash but they are extremely difficult to find and expensive when you do. Can't understand why Hobbycraft don't re-release this kit, they would make a fortune.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi..

Will it be ok if I join the GB with a 1/72 Academy F-8E Crusader?

20200910-232724.jpg

I know someone else already start building the same subject, but I plan to do with different scheme (and probably a bit modifications)

 

Cheers,

Mario

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lifeline said:

Will it be ok if I join the GB with a 1/72 Academy F-8E Crusader?

Of course it is! The Crusader is an iconic aircraft from the Vietnam war and you can never have too many of them in a GB. It doesn't matter that someone else is building the same kit or even if you both wanted to portray the very same airframe, there is always room.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well as I seem to have "accidentally" won something on a certain internet auction site I should be starting a second build for the GB before too long, might even start a third! And both of them will be older kits that are overlooked for their more modern counterparts.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2020 at 1:22 PM, modelling minion said:

Ooh! A Caribou!

A fantastic aircraft that fits the GB perfectly. There are many of us on here who would love one of these in the stash but they are extremely difficult to find and expensive when you do. Can't understand why Hobbycraft don't re-release this kit, they would make a fortune.

There's one on eBay at the moment. £85 plus £30 shipping from the US  :shocked:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Oooh - What did you win??

That would be a Monogram 1/48 A-4E Skyhawk. Not as good as the newer Hasegawa kit but still a good one, yes it has raised panel lines but that is not an issue as far as I'm concerned. I built one of these years ago and enjoyed it, I had some difficulty because I built it wheels up on a stand and the kit is designed to be built wheels down but this won't be an issue this time. I will be building her as the aircraft flown by Michael Estocin when he won the Medal of Honor for two Iron Hand missions, unfortunately he lost his life on the second mission, his story is worth a read;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_J._Estocin

 

My other choice is also from the Monogram stable and is their A-1 Skyraider, again not as good as the Tamiya kit but not bad and again it has raised panel lines which still don't put me off, but the lines on this kit are all in nice easy straight lines so I might be tempted to re-scribe this one, we shall see. I intend to build this as an aircraft flown by the VNAF as they are often overlooked in their own conflict so I wanted to add some representation for the home team whose pilots worked extremely hard and flew very courageously in extremely difficult conditions.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2020 at 7:03 AM, modelling minion said:

That would be a Monogram 1/48 A-4E Skyhawk. Not as good as the newer Hasegawa kit but still a good one, yes it has raised panel lines but that is not an issue as far as I'm concerned. I built one of these years ago and enjoyed it, I had some difficulty because I built it wheels up on a stand and the kit is designed to be built wheels down but this won't be an issue this time. I will be building her as the aircraft flown by Michael Estocin when he won the Medal of Honor for two Iron Hand missions, unfortunately he lost his life on the second mission, his story is worth a read;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_J._Estocin

 

My other choice is also from the Monogram stable and is their A-1 Skyraider, again not as good as the Tamiya kit but not bad and again it has raised panel lines which still don't put me off, but the lines on this kit are all in nice easy straight lines so I might be tempted to re-scribe this one, we shall see. I intend to build this as an aircraft flown by the VNAF as they are often overlooked in their own conflict so I wanted to add some representation for the home team whose pilots worked extremely hard and flew very courageously in extremely difficult conditions.

nice!!!  About time someone added one of these to the GB.  :thumbsup:

 

Unfortunately I'm at a stage now trying to decide whether to continue with my Skyraider or not. As mentioned in the update, there is a serious issue with the tail, that to do correctly (you really can't short cut with a model like this...and now being so rare) will mean some serious correction work....not something I really want to do in a GB environment.

 

I'm away with work on Monday for 2 weeks so will, have plenty of time to think about this, plus I have raised the issue (or will shortly) on a couple of other large scale sites. Hopefully someone may have some clever idea of how to correct this.

 

So if it all goes to  :poop:, the Skyraider build will go to the WIP section which will leave me with looking for a new build.

 

So a vote for my choices:

 

1/48th Collect-Aire B-57G - a resin model with full new Aires resin cockpit....what could possibly go wrong!!!

1/32nd Roden O-2A Skymaster

 

Though if the ZM F-4E shows up that'll bit the build for sure!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, trickyrich said:

will mean some serious correction work....not something I really want to do in a GB environment.

As much as I (and no doubt others) would love to see the big scale Spad being built I completely understand where you are coming from with not wanting to try and tackle it in a time restricted GB environment.

Of the two options you have mentioned I would go for the 1/32 O-2, as much as we all know your love for resiny goodness which the B-57 has in spades I just really like the O-2 and would love to see you tackle the big 1/32 version.

Assuming of course the ZM F-4E doesn't arrive in which case we all know what will happen!

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

As much as I (and no doubt others) would love to see the big scale Spad being built I completely understand where you are coming from with not wanting to try and tackle it in a time restricted GB environment.

Of the two options you have mentioned I would go for the 1/32 O-2, as much as we all know your love for resiny goodness which the B-57 has in spades I just really like the O-2 and would love to see you tackle the big 1/32 version.

Assuming of course the ZM F-4E doesn't arrive in which case we all know what will happen!

Mmmmm I know the B-57G would sound like a straightforward project, but knowing me....... :D

 

The Skymaster would be the way to go, plus a have the proper decals set for her (the kit ones are wrong.

 

But I haven't quite given up on the Skyraider, I'll do some more work on her today, then have a wee think about how to fix the issues whilst I'm away with work for the next couple of week.

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Think that an STGB for the type would prove popular? 😁

hmmm I reckon, maybe we could have one next year, sat around the middle of year would probably suit my schedule! :D

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My Monogram A-4 has turned up today and I am really impressed by how fine and clean the raised panel lines are, there is no way I will even be attempting to re-scribe it. The boxing I have is for a Blue Angels aircraft which unfortunately means it is moulded in blue and that there are no weapons in the kit, this won't be too big a problem as I shall give everything a blast with a grey primer and I am sure I have some spare HARM's lying around somewhere. I shall hopefully get a thread up for it in the next day or two, off to work in a few minutes and not back until stupid o'clock  in the morning.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys,

 

I have an enquiry about the undercarriage colours on the F-105G I am about to start building. Trumpeter say both legs and wells should be white, whereas D&S say legs were either silver or light gray underside camo colour, and bays green, white or gray. Pics seem to show most legs silver though some are either white of gray, difficult to tell, but I have no colour pics of wheel wells. They look either dark or light in B&W pics! At least Trumpeter do give a colour for the legs, unlike the F-100F kit. That plane seems to have had silver legs and green bays, though I am pretty sure I did the legs white on my Frog rebox of the Hasegawa kit 50 years ago!

 

So the question is, does anybody know what colours I should use for my G?
 

Cheers

 

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I am sure I have some spare HARM's lying around somewhere. I shall hopefully get a thread up for it in the next day or two, off to work in a few minutes and not back until stupid o'clock  in the morning.

No HARMs.  You want the AGM-45 Shrike.  If you don’t have any Shrikes, you can make a close proximity of one out of a modified AIM-7 Sparrow.  HARMs enertered service long after the Vietnam war, mid ‘80s if my memory serves me right.

 

Should be sweet.  I’ve got an Iron Hand Scooter planned for my hi-viz USN Build when it happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites

yeap, the Harms were later, The Shrikes are easy to make from Sparrows, I did that many  years ago for a F-105 I was building.

 

@modelling minionARRRRRR!!!!  :angry: notice how he manages to lead us off track and on to the Skyhawks!!! Which of course just happens to be a STGB he's running next year!  Now you never see me doing anything like that! :whistle:   :D

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, helios16v said:

No HARMs.  You want the AGM-45 Shrike.  If you don’t have any Shrikes, you can make a close proximity of one out of a modified AIM-7 Sparrow.  HARMs enertered service long after the Vietnam war, mid ‘80s if my memory serves me right.

 

Should be sweet.  I’ve got an Iron Hand Scooter planned for my hi-viz USN Build when it happens.

God knows why I typed HARM, I know they were Shrikes and have even been looking at aftermarket ones in case I can't find any in the armoury, I put it down to going 24 hours without gluing something, obviously the lack of fumes affected my brain (such as it is).

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

@modelling minionARRRRRR!!!!  :angry: notice how he manages to lead us off track and on to the Skyhawks!!! Which of course just happens to be a STGB he's running next year!  Now you never see me doing anything like that! :whistle:   :D

What, little old me do something sneaky like that!!?? I don't know how you can possibly even suggest such a thing Viggen boy. 😇

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A Viggen in SEA... :hmmm:  Now that would be a fun WHiFer w/ an Italeri/Esci kit.

I don't need these ideas now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

What, little old me do something sneaky like that!!?? I don't know how you can possibly even suggest such a thing Viggen boy. 😇

😊

34 minutes ago, helios16v said:

A Viggen in SEA... :hmmm:  Now that would be a fun WHiFer w/ an Italeri/Esci kit.

I don't need these ideas now.

oh go on you know you want too! :D Though by that time our lot had gone grey, The F-111's were still in SEA but for not too much longer.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PeterB said:

So the question is, does anybody know what colours I should use for my G?

I would go for the same grey as the undersides Pete as it seems to be that most Thuds had the gear and wells in the same colour as the undersides. They did come in a variety of colours and tying the right one down can be very tricky.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be stretching the definition of Vietnam war to it's breaking point, but would subjects from the French Indochina war with Thailand (41-42) be eligible for inclusion in this GB?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SoftScience said:

This may be stretching the definition of Vietnam war to it's breaking point, but would subjects from the French Indochina war with Thailand (41-42) be eligible for inclusion in this GB?

I will leave that one for our illustrious leader, it falls outside of the 3 time frames for the GB but as it is Rich's GB he has the final say.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SoftScience said:

This may be stretching the definition of Vietnam war to it's breaking point, but would subjects from the French Indochina war with Thailand (41-42) be eligible for inclusion in this GB?

I would say it should be fine., it is just outside the first theme but it does still have some relevance to the overall GB.

 

I didn't put too much notice on these earlier conflicts as I really didn't know much about them. I did make a comment in the rules about earlier stuff, so I'm fine with it. Be interesting to see what you have planned.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My second subject for this GB arrived in the mail today. After reading the excellent book Hue 1968 by Mark Bowden, I felt inspired to build something that was used there, so I got me a 1/35 Academy M50A1 Ontos. I haven't build any armor in ages, so that should be interesting. I will start building it after finishing a Merlin HC.3 that's nearly done. Some time next week probably.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...