Vietnam GB Chat

trickyrich

35 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I'm hearing that a lot lately! Oh well I've been held responsible for far worse things than inspiring a purchase or two.

It does look a nice kit Rich, any idea what scheme you will be doing it?

We do have  a very nice range of subjects, and far more of the less well know types than I would have thought. Maybe an F-8 or A-7 will be along later. A Pibber would be a great topic too.

I did also consider an A-7 but for some reason nothing was really inspiring me there. =(

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

We have some great choices in the build so far, and nice to see a Civilian build as well as some ground stuff.

We are though missing some stuff from the water.....a "Pibber's" and such from the rivers would be nice to see, I know there are some nice models out there.....plus what about some of the big "blue water" stuff...carriers!

With aviation there are a couple of surprise omissions so far (they maybe on the way???), F-8 Crusader.......the "SLUF" A-7 Corsair...... even a Skyhawk!!!  I can't put my hand up for any of these as the stash is bare of them.......plus I'm trying (and failing :doh:) to avoid evilBay for the moment!

I'm actually a bit shocked on the lack of Scooters.  I figured for sure we'd have a lot of F-4s and A-4s.  I had originally planned an Eduard A-4, but figured It'd be a common entry so shifted to the OV-1B.

I do have a started Crusader that may make an appearance later on as a WIP if I manage to get ahead on some projects.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, helios16v said:

I'm actually a bit shocked on the lack of Scooters.  I figured for sure we'd have a lot of F-4s and A-4s.  I had originally planned an Eduard A-4, but figured It'd be a common entry so shifted to the OV-1B.

I do have a started Crusader that may make an appearance later on as a WIP if I manage to get ahead on some projects.

I mean I know I decided to sit on the scooter until the STGB next year, so...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, helios16v said:

I had originally planned an Eduard A-4, but figured It'd be a common entry so shifted to the OV-1B.

I think that all right minded people are saving them for next years awe inspiring STGB.

2 hours ago, PinkThorn242 said:

I mean I know I decided to sit on the scooter until the STGB next year, so...

Just like Jenny is. :)      

46 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I think that all right minded people are saving them for next years awe inspiring STGB.

I could've built one now and still have plenty for the STGB.  :whistle:

• Haha 1

I thought I'd ask about something in here where all youse knowledgeable people are.

Last week I was watching an episode of the A-Team. Season 4; 'There Goes The Neighborhood'

In one scene the head of the neighborhood watch shows Hannibal and Murdock his armoured car.

Hannibal called it, I think I heard, a Lynx and said they used them in Vietnam.

What I saw was a Ferret Scout Car

Wiki says the US Army got 10  Daimler Dingoes for use in Vietnam but no mention of Ferrets

Below is the best picture I can find showing the a/c in the A-Team show.

I reckon, as that show plays loose with facts, that they used a Ferret and said it was a Dingo/Lynx. Almost all the viewers wouldn't know the difference.

Any more info about the US Army using the Dingo in Vietnam?

ateamtheregoestheneighborhood120810-08.j

21 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I reckon, as that show plays loose with facts,

What??? It does? Oh man... I grew up with that show and now you tell me!

• Haha 4

Sorry if I can't visit everyones updates at the moment, I'm currently away with work in central Australia....well almost.

I'm trying to catch up with all the progress, but it may take a while!

There are some awesome builds already and we're not even a week in yet!!

Keep up all the great work, and keep all those new builds coming!

• Like 2

What was it Rich always says?  Something about modelling life being the only life, something, something, something.  :lol:

Oh wait I know what it is!  :o

He needs a little extra scratch for all those Z-M long nose Phantoms that are releasing soon.  So enlight of the expedition to fund an ever-increasing Phantom stash I suppose I can let this temporary absence slide.  A little bit.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Its all very well him buying them, but when will he actually build them! Certainly not for this GB.

Don't ask what the Draken thinks.....:tomato:

That said...I'm really not one to talk.  :rofl2:

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Bbdave said:

I'm thinking of joining in if I may? i have a kit I know will suit, another that I'm not sure was used in Vietnam  it's an 0A-4M Skyhawk I don't know how to find out anyone know?.

Dave

You are more than welcome to join in Dave, especially as it looks like this will be your first GB.

I think the OA-4M was too late for service in Vietnam, the USMC did use two seat A-4's for fast FAC work but they were earlier models.

What is the other kit you have?

27 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

You are more than welcome to join in Dave, especially as it looks like this will be your first GB.

I think the OA-4M was too late for service in Vietnam, the USMC did use two seat A-4's for fast FAC work but they were earlier models.

Yes it'll be my first, I have an old Monogram Huey Hog kit which I've had for a long time.

Dave

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bbdave said:

Yes it'll be my first, I have an old Monogram Huey Hog kit which I've had for a long time.

Dave

Thanks for making us your first GB Dave, be warned though as they are addictive!

There is always space for another Huey in this GB, you can never have too many of them in my book. The Monogram kit is a classic, I built one about 33 years ago! feel free to start a build thread when you're ready, there will be plenty along to offer any help or advice should you need it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bbdave said:

Dave

Yay, guns!

56 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Hi @Bbdave

You could save the scooter for Craig’s Single Type Group Build in march 

He’s much too nice a guy to say so himself 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Awww, come on guys.  You know this isn't funny.   Will you all :please:  stop showing me pictures of Phantom kits?!?!?!   :frantic: 

What, you want more Phantom kit pics?  We can probably oblige you.  :lol:

I'm thinking your Phantom reserves must be running dangerously low from that comment.  :hmmm:

• Haha 1