Vietnam GB Chat

trickyrich

9 minutes ago, klr said:

I have so many spreadsheets for all my hobbies, interests and real-world affairs that I need one master spreadsheet just to keep track of all the others ...

Sometimes I start a spreadsheet but the feeling never lasts 🙂 

Just now, Enzo Matrix said:

Patience, young grasshopper.   Only one more sleep.   Or are you going to start at midnight? 

I wish - two hours until midnight in the land of thousand lakes, but many more until GMT 00:00, So one more sleep it is.

5 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

An eligibility question:

As I am building F-4J 155755 as it was in 1973- can I build the RAF incarnation of the same airframe in this GB?

Is that really in keeping with this GB?

You could enter it into the Interceptor GB.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

An eligibility question:

As I am building F-4J 155755 as it was in 1973- can I build the RAF incarnation of the same airframe in this GB?

3 minutes ago, Wez said:

Is that really in keeping with this GB?

You could enter it into the Interceptor GB.

Hmmm tricky, personally I would much rather she be built in the colours she wore over Vietnam.

But Rich has allowed Robin Old's Phantom to be built in one of it's post Vietnam schemes so I don't know. To me it goes against it being a Vietnam based GB but it's not my GB, I'm just the drinks hostess so our glorious leader will have to answer this one. Over to you @trickyrich.

Binge watching documentaries. Watching Apocalypse Now on Sunday.

Listening to Fortunate Son around the clock.

Getting in the mood.

Already made a cheeky start though in the Corsair GB!

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, PinkThorn242 said:

So I think I got as far as the Italeri Phantom, Eduard Fishbed or Trumpeter Thunderchief as an alternative. Will just have to go bury myself in reference material so I don't make the same gaffe I did with the HUS.

All of those are great choices Jenny, depending on which versions of Phantom and Fishbed you have of course. The Thud should be safe as all versions were used in Vietnam with the exception of the B and that isn't kitted by Trumpeter.

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

All of those are great choices Jenny, depending on which versions of Phantom and Fishbed you have of course. The Thud should be safe as all versions were used in Vietnam with the exception of the B and that isn't kitted by Trumpeter.

Well the Italeri box is supposed to be capable of being built as a C, D or J, so...

And was leaning towards the 105G if I go that way.

Edited by PinkThorn242
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, PinkThorn242 said:

Well the Italeri box is supposed to be capable of being built as a C, D or J, so...

And was leaning towards the 105G if I go that way.

That would be the "Phantom Aces" re-box of the ESCI kit? Which I happened to buy myself only a few weeks ago:

978103-12660-42-pristine.jpg

The fact that there are about 57,000 stencil decals to be applied has made me wary of building it, for now at least ...

Edited by klr
  • Like 1

On 22/08/2020 at 06:18, klr said:

That would be the "Phantom Aces" re-box of the ESCI kit? Which I happened to buy myself only a few weeks ago:

The fact that there are about 57,000 stencil decals to be applied has made me wary of building it, for now at least ...

Yes that.

21 minutes ago, PinkThorn242 said:

The Italeri offering is a fine kit.   It is a rebox of the Esci kit, which was a revelation when it was first issued.

All four of the colour schemes in the box are eligible for this GB.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The Italeri offering is a fine kit.   It is a rebox of the Esci kit, which was a revelation when it was first issued.

All four of the colour schemes in the box are eligible for this GB.

The old ESCI kit is a nice kit, it builds easily and is accurate. The decals in this boxing will be very good quality too.

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Hmmm tricky, personally I would much rather she be built in the colours she wore over Vietnam.

But Rich has allowed Robin Old's Phantom to be built in one of it's post Vietnam schemes so I don't know. To me it goes against it being a Vietnam based GB but it's not my GB, I'm just the drinks hostess so our glorious leader will have to answer this one. Over to you @trickyrich.

Civilian equipment is fine as well, but it must be Vietnamese based. Plus I will also allow “Vietnam Veterans”, aircraft that were used in operation in Vietnam but now in later scheme…please provide proof. 

Given Trickyrich's comment above in the GB "Welcome and Rules" re later schemes, I had just idly wondered about eligibility for this airframe in it's RAF scheme - yes, I could build it in the Interceptor GB but I already have several other possibilities for that GB.

Mike

47 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

Civilian equipment is fine as well, but it must be Vietnamese based. Plus I will also allow “Vietnam Veterans”, aircraft that were used in operation in Vietnam but now in later scheme…please provide proof. 

Given Trickyrich's comment above in the GB "Welcome and Rules" re later schemes, I had just idly wondered about eligibility for this airframe in it's RAF scheme - yes, I could build it in the Interceptor GB but I already have several other possibilities for that GB.

Mike

Hmmm...there is thinking outside the box then there's inside a completely different box!

Ok I did some reading up on this and do see her as an ex-Vietnam war aircraft, but it'll not be obvious to most, unlike Robin Old's mount that has 2 giant kills on the splitter plate.

It's probably not what i intended to see when I made that allowance...but it does fit that eligibility criteria.

If you do plan to build her, please build her in the combined thread so members can see her in both her schemes together rather then a seperate thread which I know members will say "why is there a RAF Phantom in the build".......ad I don't want to have to explain this all the time!

• Like 2

Well buy the time most of you see this the Apocalypse will have started!!

Good luck to all, I do hope you all have an enjoyable and trouble free build. Let see how many build we can get into the gallery......can we break it again?? :D

See you all on the other side.....

“It’s impossible for words to describe what is necessary to those who do not know what horror means. Horror. Horror has a face and you must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not, then they are enemies to be feared.” — Colonel Kurtz

• Like 5

I'm just going to follow this thread. I know I won't be able to make anything for awhile, wrapped up in renos and have a commissioned job to do.  Otherwise I have a few things that would work here.

18 hours ago, trickyrich said:

If you do plan to build her, please build her in the combined thread so members can see her in both her schemes together rather then a seperate thread which I know members will say "why is there a RAF Phantom in the build".......ad I don't want to have to explain this all the time!

Thanks for a "ruling" Rich,

I'll have a think about whether to build 155755's RAF Alter Ego in this GB but if I did it would make an interesting comparison.

Mike

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

I'll have a think about whether to build 155755's RAF Alter Ego in this GB but if I did it would make an interesting comparison.

Go for it!   You know you want to...  :wicked: 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FortyEighter said:

Well, if Enzo says go for it, I might just do that. But that would mean an extra aircraft in four overlapping GBs (Vietnam, MTO, Tornado & Interceptor)

Sorry, make that five as there is bound to be something for the next KUTA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1