Vietnam GB Chat

trickyrich

6 hours ago, klr said:

Unfortunately, anything marked with a * is currently out of reach due to COVID-19.

So now you have your answer.  Everything else should be perfectly feasible within a single groupbuild.

You know you want to...   :wicked: 

• Haha 6

23 minutes ago, Triet Cam said:

I vote for the Airfix O-1 Bird Dog. I love that little kit since the 80's. Wish Airfix release that again someday. 

Im doing a Birddog for the build also. Its a coveted piece in my stash that came all the way from Australia last year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Triet Cam said:

I vote for the Airfix O-1 Bird Dog. I love that little kit since the 80's. Wish Airfix release that again someday. 

49 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im doing a Birddog for the build also. Its a coveted piece in my stash that came all the way from Australia last year. 

The Bird Dog goes higher up my list then. I may even build two ...

• Like 4

On 8/6/2020 at 7:00 PM, badger said:

Hi

Noticed I hadn't signed up for this so please put me down.

Not sure what I'll do but it'll be 1/72 afv.

All the best

Ben 

no worries...you still have time to change you mind a few times.......or just do an ENZO!!!!

On 8/7/2020 at 7:34 AM, Tim R-T-C said:

I've got a Spit IXe and Dauntless which just happen to have decals for French AF and Navy in Indochina. Are there any good reference books on aviation during this conflict? Looking particularly for airfield images for making the base.

either would be nice to see.

14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Still to decide on my entry but being a bit over stretched build wise it might well end up being a smaller build, I do have a 1/72 UH-1B in the stash with appropriate markings.

I hope you haven't caught @Hockeyboy76's disease!!!! If you have you'll have to go into lockdown.....and only build 1/48th and bigger!!!  :D 

11 hours ago, klr said:

French Indochina:

Monogram F8F-1B Bearcat

Italeri F4U-7 Corsair

Revell (ex-Matchbox) PB4Y Privateer

'Nam:

Airfix Cessna O-1 Bird Dog

Academy (also as Revell re-box) OV-10A Bronco

Italeri B-26K Counter Invader

Trumpeter F-105D Thunderchief

Revell/Monogram or Italeri (ex-ESCI) F-104C Starfighter

Italeri (ex-ESCI) F-104 Phantom "Aces"

Italeri (ex-ESCI) F-A/C "Skoshi" Tiger

Airfix RA-5C Vigilante

ESCI F-8H Crusader

Airfix A-4B Skyhawk

Things on wheels and tracks:

Revell M109

Academy M35

Italeri (ex-ESCI) M48 A3 Patton

Revell T-55AM (Vietnam, 2015)

even with this reduced list there are still some nice choices here.

1 hour ago, Graeme H said:

Surprised I've not put my name down for this, so you had better include me, I can find something I'm sure

...so am I........ but at least you are here now.

For me I have a recalcitrant "Craphawk" which is not playing the game at all (plus I started late on it), so I'm still weighing up the possibility that I could complete my Skyraider in the time. Backup plans are a 1/48th B-57G (full resin) or 1/32nd Skymaster, both would be fun to build, but my heart is still set on the Skyraider! :wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Whats an 'Enzo"??

Aah yes... I had the same question when I first saw the acronym "WWEMD" in a GB chat... Turns out it means What Would Enzo Matrix Do? 

The answer is quite simple really: he would Build Them All! 🙂

This is a recurring theme...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I hope you haven't caught @Hockeyboy76's disease!!!! If you have you'll have to go into lockdown.....and only build 1/48th and bigger!!!  :D

No, I cant work in the teeny tiny scale at all!

My initial idea for a build was for 1/48 and it is still what I really want to do (a T-28 Trojan in either Royal Lao Air Force or Ravens markings) but other GB's looming and present and increased work hours might mean that i have to take a practical approach to what i might actually be able to complete in time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

no worries...you still have time to change you mind a few times.......or just do an ENZO!!!!

I'd love to. Sadly my completion rate makes glaciers look like F1 cars!!

• Haha 2

Craig has just reminded me of this forthcoming GB - Oh B*gger! I was looking forward to a leisurely build of a few BoB RAF and Luftwaffe planes before the Heller GB starts in October, but I suppose I might have a go. In my stash I have a number of planes which may well be eligible - Trumpeter F-100F and F-105G Wild Weasels, Hasegawa EKA-3 Whale and A-7A Corsair II, an F-8 Crusader probably by Fujimi, and maybe even a Matchbox A-7D.  I have even got some new tins of Xtracolour Vietnam paint (well actually over 10 years old but not as yet opened), so what the heck, count me in! One question, and I apologise if it has already been answered - do the markings have to be for a plane that actually flew in the Vietnam conflict, as that could be problematic? Pretty sure the Trumpeter kits are OK in that respect but not sure about the rest, particularly the Whale.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

Craig has just reminded me of this forthcoming GB - Oh B*gger! I was looking forward to a leisurely build of a few BoB RAF and Luftwaffe planes before the Heller GB starts in October, but I suppose I might have a go. In my stash I have a number of planes which may well be eligible - Trumpeter F-100F and F-105G Wild Weasels, Hasegawa EKA-3 Whale and A-7A Corsair II, an F-8 Crusader probably by Fujimi, and maybe even a Matchbox A-7D.  I have even got some new tins of Xtracolour Vietnam paint (well actually over 10 years old but not as yet opened), so what the heck, count me in! One question, and I apologise if it has already been answered - do the markings have to be for a plane that actually flew in the Vietnam conflict, as that could be problematic? Pretty sure the Trumpeter kits are OK in that respect but not sure about the rest, particularly the Whale.

Cheers

Pete

hi Pete and welcome along.

mmm the markings should be for an aircraft that actually operated there, but I am willing to allow "veteran's", as in an aircraft that operated in Vietnam but is still in service later on in a different scheme (there was a request and it seemed reasonable). 

• Like 2

Thanks Rich,

It seems it should not be a problem with the F-100F, F-105G, A-7A and F-8E as all contain markings for planes operating in Vietnam. The EKA-3B, assuming I have time to build it , might have to be a veteran as Hasgawa only provide decs for US home based machines in 1970 and 1973. Actually I have yet to find a pic of the actual Crusader in Vietnam but it is in the same markings as ones from the same Squadron which did serve in that deployment - not sure how I can confirm that particular machine was there but I see no reason why it should not be. Any suggestions on how I could check?

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Hey @PeterB, if you want to shoot me the squadron, tail code, and carrier information for the EKA-3B options I can cross check deployments for you.  Unless it was a training squadron, if it has a "N-" tail code there is a high probability it did a tour in Vietnam.  The N denotes a west coast deployed airwing which frequent the western pacific & Indian Ocean (later on the PG).  A denotes an Atlantic airwing and typically (but not always) deploy to the North Atlantic & Med.

• Like 1

Thanks mate,

In this boxing Hasgawa have decs for 142252 tail code AB modex 615 which they say was from VAQ-131 in June 1970 from the JFK and 147660 tail code NG modex 614 from VAQ-130 in June 1972 from the Constellation. Wiki says that VAQ-130 with its EKA-3B spent quite a bit of time based on a number of carriers involved in the war, but although I have decs for some of the carriers, I have no idea what the tail - codes would have been - I quote

'VAQ-130 detachments continued to deploy in support of the Vietnam War as follows:

26 October 1968 – 17 May 1969, Detachment 61, EKA-3Bs were embarked on USS Ranger

1 February-18 September 1969, Detachment 14, EKA-3Bs were embarked on USS Ticonderoga

18 March-29 October 1968, Detachment 31, EKA-3Bs were embarked on USS Bon Homme Richard

14 April-17 November 1969, Detachment 34, EKA-3Bs were embarked on USS Oriskany

2 April-12 November 1970, Detachment 31, EKA-3Bs were embarked on USS Bon Homme Richard

14 May-10 December 1970, Detachment 1, EKA-3Bs were embarked on USS Oriskany

16 April-6 November 1971, Detachment 2, EKA-3Bs were embarked on USS Midway

14 May-10 December 1971, Detachment 3, EKA-3Bs were embarked on USS Oriskany

11 June 1971 – 12 February 1972, Detachment 4, EKA-3Bs were embarked on USS Enterprise

1 October 1971 – 30 June 1972, Detachment 1, EKA-3Bs were embarked on USS Constellation

10 April 1972 – 3 March 1973, Detachment 2, EKA-3Bs were embarked on USS Midway

5 June 1972 – 30 March 1973, Detachment 3, EKA-3Bs were embarked on USS Oriskany

16 November 1973 – 23 June 1973, Detachment 4, EKA-3Bs were embarked on USS Ranger

18 October 1973 – 5 June 1974, Detachment 3, EKA-3Bs were embarked on USS Oriskany

In March 1975, the squadron relocated to their current homeport of Naval Air Station Whidbey Island and transitioned to the EA-6B Prowler'.

Looks like I could use the kit decs for 147660 on the Connie in 1972 if I could confirm the tail codes - is NG correct?

Whilst on the subject, as I mentioned in the Spitfire GB, I have a friend in the States who has for many years "painted" skins for aircraft "models" in the old computer Flight Sim European Air War, and very good he is too. From time to time he asks me for help sorting out the correct serials and individual aircraft letters for RAF machines and it not easy. Sometimes the ORB (Operational Record Books) at Kew (our National Archives) have the information, but usually only serials or letters, seldom both. I have been lucky a couple of times with websites, eg 610 Spits during the Battle of Britain, but it seems far less info is available on RAF planes than is available over there in the States where there seem to be far more on-line sites. In order to check the validity of the rest of my planes for this GB, ie F-100F, F-105G, F-8E and A-7A, does anybody know of any sites where I can get a history by serial number? I think I am OK with 2 for certain, but with the others all I have been able to establish so far is that their unit was involved in the Vietnam conflict.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, PeterB said:

In this boxing Hasgawa have decs for 142252 tail code AB modex 615 which they say was from VAQ-131 in June 1970 and 147660 tail code NG modex 614 from VAQ-130 in June 1972.

VAQ-130 (Det.1) did deploy to Vietnam w/ the Whale while attached to CVW-9 (NG) onboard the USS Constellation (CVA-64) from October 1971 to July 1972.  Modex 614 is correct (deployed w/ 614, 615, 616) for Det.1 deployment.

http://www.gonavy.jp/navy/sqn/VAQ130.html

This is my go to for all my US Naval air deployment info.  Sometimes you can find BuNo info, but not always.  Airframes frequently change squadrons so can be kind of hard to track.  If the tail code & modex fit the deployment timeframe, that "should" be good enough for most GBs...unless you are looking for a specific airframe of historical significance.
http://www.gonavy.jp/index.html

• Like 1

Thanks Chris.

That should be very useful. Now I only need a source for USAF machines, but I know the F-100F is OK and one of the options for the F-105G seems almost certain to be correct as well.

Pete

I just realized the Italeri OH-13 Sioux is also eligible for this build, as all 3 subjects in my kit are from 'Nam. Being of a certain age, I always associate the Sioux with the Korean War, having grown up watching M*A*SH*. I forget it soldiered on until the early years of the Vietnam War. It was replaced by the OH-6 Cayuse, and that would definitely be on my short list, if the windscreen were not missing ...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PeterB said:

Thanks Chris.

That should be very useful. Now I only need a source for USAF machines, but I know the F-100F is OK and one of the options for the F-105G seems almost certain to be correct as well.

Pete

Pete, Chris has given you some great help.

These are 2 sites I use a lot, they take a bit of digging but once you start you'll get lost down the rabbit hole!!! :D

This is my fav, has heaps of info...though not quite enough in this particular case.

http://www.seaforces.org

This is another, it's huge, I've spent ages here and only just scratched the surface......

http://wings-aviation.ch

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rich,

Just realised I also have the Italeri B-57G as well which I am pretty sure must be a Vietnam machine - must find where I have hidden it!

Pete

7 hours ago, PeterB said:

Thanks Rich,

Just realised I also have the Italeri B-57G as well which I am pretty sure must be a Vietnam machine - must find where I have hidden it!

The "FK" decal option of the Italeri kit is an in theatre machine, the "FS" one being a US based trainer.

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

Thanks Andre,

I have just noticed that myself after reading the Osprey Combat Aircraft book on the subject. They trained at Mac Dill AFB before going to Udon it seems. So it will be the one with the FK tail code if I do enter it in the GB. Should be fun! I am still wondering if I should have bought the B version instead as the G was late into the theatre and saw fairly limited use, but it is such a interesting subject that I could not resist. I suppose I could build it as a B if I really wanted as the basic fuselage is provided and the nose has to be cut off and replaced for the G.

Actually, not only can I thank Craig for reminding me of this GB, but I can also thank his dog for reminding me that I have the B-57G kit, as looking at the post in another GB where Craig was replying to condolences after his dog walked on his model and broke it jogged my memory.

Pete

Edited by PeterB