Vietnam GB Chat

trickyrich

Hi Guys.

Need some advice from the aircraft experts in here.

I've purchased the AK Interactive True metal set, 

Tried a quick test, and really happy about the finish I can achieve from just a very small dab on finger tip then rub in and light polish with Kitchen towel.

Test Pictures are from a Deceased tamiya Tomcat wing, with a hand painted Tamiya Olive green paint coat underneath.

The Gun Metal picture shows how important a good undercoat is😗

I Know I'll be able to refine the results for future projects.

The real question is which colour is the best for a Mig-21 (or other) bare metal finish types.

kHx4w4I.jpg

OUX0MWg.jpg

rBFrgUD.jpg

First Picture is Dark Aluminium, Second is Aluminium, and Third is a comparison side-by-side shot.

YLxhY0Z.jpg

f5JMKQg.jpg

x4PJRu4.jpg

Picture 4 is Steel, 5 is Gun metal, 6 comparison side-by-side.

I'm leaning towards the Aluminium or super shiny steel. But advice from all you aircraft guru's would be most appreciated. 

I will also try Fixing decals directly onto the finish, and a bit of light weathering.

If anyone has other tests they want tried, I can try to oblige

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, diases said:

I'm leaning towards the Aluminium or super shiny steel

The aluminium would be my choice too, but not too shiny as I believe Mig-21's were delivered in a painted aluminium finish rather than in natural metal so not super shiny and not with a great deal of variation in colour on the panels either.

Some discussion here;

Craig.

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

The aluminium would be my choice too, but not too shiny as I believe Mig-21's were delivered in a painted aluminium finish rather than in natural metal so not super shiny and not with a great deal of variation in colour on the panels either.

Some discussion here;

Craig.

Good info for my upcoming Heller build.  Cheers Craig!  :cheers:

• Thanks 1

Pff... Ordered my upgrades at the end of August and something happened with the shipment. All has been sent back without further notice. The courier only wants to give the info to the seller and now the package has been in storage for 3 weeks before it even gets there...

• Sad 4

oh dear, that's no good!!! Hopefully you can get it all sorted out ok.

A package arrived for me at home this week, nearly 4 months after it was ordered and sent! I for sure thought it had gotten lost. It was from the States, stuff I order from another place over there only took about 3 weeks and the postage was way less!!!

Delivery of anything now is :poop: thanks to Covid :fuyou_2: 

26 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Is there a product to replace the little paddle shaped thing on the base of the back of the tail of Hasegawa's 1/72 F-4 phantoms?

See sticky-outie bit below.

spacer.png

Its the fuel dump pipe and probably not as Ive never seen one. Quickboost do one in 1/32 but I've not found anything smaller ? How about two sizes of plastic strip glued, cut, and sanded to shape ? Then just cut a tiny notch or hole at the base of the tail to mount it. I’ll keep looking just in case. 

EDIT: I couldn't find anything but also remembered we have a 3-D printer section here in the forum. Maybe someone can print what you need. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SoftScience said:

Is there a product to replace the little paddle shaped thing on the base of the back of the tail of Hasegawa's 1/72 F-4 phantoms?

See sticky-outie bit below.

You are talking about the fuel dump mast, Steel Beach did one in 1/48 scale as well, I have not seen any in 1/72 though

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/steel-beach-48092-f-4-phantom-ii-fuel-dump-post--247267

• Like 1

I wanted to do a 2nd build with a 1/72 Scooter, but crashed before even cut the first part. I got it from ebay a year ago, thinking it was a deal. Just opened it yesterday and found out the canopy is MIA. I don't believe there is a vacform canopy exists anywhere, other than DIY, right?

It's a shame because I wanted to do a OOB nostalgia build. This was the kit got me started in models back in 1976 when I first came to US. I saw it in the Squadron Hobby Shop (yes that one), but it was located outside suburb of Detroit Michigan at that time. I was in total AWE of the shop. My parents didn't have a lot of money, but ended up getting get that one. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/minicraft-hasegawa-048-a-4f-skyhawk--167443

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Triet Cam said:

I wanted to do a 2nd build with a 1/72 Scooter, but crashed before even cut the first part. I got it from ebay a year ago, thinking it was a deal. Just opened it yesterday and found out the canopy is MIA. I don't believe there is a vacform canopy exists anywhere, other than DIY, right?

It's a shame because I wanted to do a OOB nostalgia build. This was the kit got me started in models back in 1976 when I first came to US. I saw it in the Squadron Hobby Shop (yes that one), but it was located outside suburb of Detroit Michigan at that time. I was in total AWE of the shop. My parents didn't have a lot of money, but ended up getting get that one. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/minicraft-hasegawa-048-a-4f-skyhawk--167443

I am sorry to hear about the missing canopy Triet, have you thought about asking in the wanted section of the buying and selling part of the forum? 

An OOB nostalgia build would be great too, especially as it is a Skyhawk.

that is a shame!

If you were feeling game you could try making your own with a sheet of clear acrylic? You'd need to make blank of the canopy and "smash mould" the canopy. Being a simple shape it shouldn't be too hard ut a bit time consuming.

Hopefully someone in the Buy-Sell section can help you out.

well back from "outback" with work....oh the joy of have fast and working internet again......and to have a pile of pressies awaiting me from my friendly postman!! :D

My new ill gotten gains will be posted in other places.

nice to see the gallery filling up so keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Whilst I haven't been able to comment on everyones progress (someday see that as a blessing) I have been following them........Ninja host style :ninja:....and there's so awesome builds under way so keep up the awesome work!:clap2:

Hopefully I can add mine to the list as well this break!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

that is a shame!

If you were feeling game you could try making your own with a sheet of clear acrylic? You'd need to make blank of the canopy and "smash mould" the canopy. Being a simple shape it shouldn't be too hard ut a bit time consuming.

Hopefully someone in the Buy-Sell section can help you out.

experimenting in process now. Creating a blank from balsa wood. This shouldn't be too difficult to sand into shape. 

• Like 1

ok not completely off subject.....which is a change for me! :D

But I had to show off my gorgeous new baby!!!!  🥰

IMG_4783-L.jpg

She's still untouched by human hands/paws!  🦍   Not to sure how long that will last!:D

IMG_4784-L.jpg

Plus I have found the perfect outfit for her when she has her debut.........maybe in the Phantom #5 STGB?

IMG_4785-L.jpg

• Like 5

I will resist!

With luck the only AM I'll need are the bombs, they're not included so I'll need 6x500lb "Slicks", ours also didn't have the Sidewinders fitted......well not in any photos I've found so far.

• Like 1

I ended up with a pair of Hasegawa Crusader's for a tenner a few months back does anyone Know if either box scheme's(they never changed for a

good few releases from the first issue) are Vietnam relevant? Might be an excuse to build one.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

I ended up with a pair of Hasegawa Crusader's for a tenner a few months back does anyone Know if either box scheme's(they never changed for a

good few releases from the first issue) are Vietnam relevant? Might be an excuse to build one.

There's always a reason to build a Crusader Steve, and as far as I can tell you're fine with the kit decals for a Vietnam operated machine as VF-162 (one of the options) flew F-8E's during 3 deployments to the theatre.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

There's always a reason to build a Crusader Steve, and as far as I can tell you're fine with the kit decals for a Vietnam operated machine as VF-162 (one of the options) flew F-8E's during 3 deployments to the theatre.

Excellent Craig one for later then still plenty of time, might squeeze Airfix's Vigilante in too!

• Like 2