Vietnam GB Chat

trickyrich

35 minutes ago, helios16v said:

I'm thinking your Phantom reserves must be running dangerously low from that comment.  :hmmm:

You would be wrong in assuming that.  The Stash is replete with 1/72 Phantom kits!  :thumbsup:  

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

You would be wrong in assuming that.  The Stash is replete with 1/72 Phantom kits!  :thumbsup:  

Good man.

I'm down to 18 after giving a couple away.  :blink2:  I'm still not sure where the hell they all came from.  They multiply like rabbits I tell ya.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, helios16v said:

Good man.

I'm down to 18 after giving a couple away.  :blink2:  I'm still not sure where the hell they all came from.  They multiply like rabbits I tell ya.

Gave a couple away?!?!?!?   but... but... but...   wot if you need 'em?!?!?!?: 

About 16 years ago I came back to the aircraft side of the hobby.   I was expecting the situation to be similar to that of the mid-80s, where one could pretty much get any kit that had ever been available.  I was shocked to find that was not so.   The Hasegawa Phantoms that I expected to be ten a penny were like hens' teeth.  Then Hasegawa re-released a few of their kits and I took the opportunity.   Having left the RAF a few years previously, I had a bit of disposable cash from my gratuity.   I splashed out a bit and spent about 400 quid on Phantom kits of various denominations.  B/N, C/D, E, J, RF...   you name it, I bought some.  

Bear in mind that in those days, Hasegawa Phantoms were about 15 quid each.   As you can imagine, given the current cost of Hasegawa Phantom kits, I have never regretted that decision!  :smartass:

I am still scared stiff of not having the Stash Support to be able to build a Phantom of my choice, should I wish to do so.  And with good reason.   I cannot build a (Wild Weasel) F-4G.   It seems that the mould for the relevant parts for the Hasegawa kit have been damaged beyond repair.   I'm surprised that some enterprising resin AM company has not solved the problem.  I'm sure that it would take someone like Aerocraft Models @Ali62 about fifteen minutes to knock up something suitable.  :D 

• Like 2

It's my "excuse" for maybe making room for a Z-M or 2.  :whistle:  (I'll blame @trickyrich for that...he hasn't had enough finger pointing at him of late.)  The early E (Vietnam) and the late Naval S would probably be my picks.  Besides, they went to a friend that I'm getting into the hobby.  I think I ended up getting not just him hooked, but I guess his fiance has taken quite a liking to the activity too.  :lol:

What I would love to find right now are some 1/72 slatted outer wings so I can convert one of my EJs into a reasonable approximation of a Turkish E (I ended up w/ some pretty cool decals...just no kit).  I bought a white box Hase E w/ the intent to use for parts for the conversion...but not counting the raised panel lines (was going to rescribe) the rest of the moldings just didn't feel up to par w/ the later EJ offerings.  So that was one I gave away (along w/ a dupe Hase 1/48 J).

• Like 1

@helios16v If you have "only" 18 Phantoms, how many other kits have you squirrelled away? My complete stash is about 25 boxes, most of which are trucks. And all different trucks too 😉

I strongly suspect there are people here with more stock than a hobby shop 😄

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

@helios16v If you have "only" 18 Phantoms, how many other kits have you squirrelled away? My complete stash is about 25 boxes, most of which are trucks. And all different trucks too 😉

I might be guilty of that.  Definitely more than I could build in the next few years.  :D  Not as bad as some...but still far too many.  I seldom buy them at full price.  Most of the closet are filled with stuff that was picked up second hand from model shows or nabbed from 40-75% off sales over the years.  Opportunistic purchases that have stacked up over time.

I've been getting better about not buying stuff, not perfect...but better.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, helios16v said:

I've been getting better about not buying stuff, not perfect...but better.  

I know what you mean 🙂 Even a modest squirrel like myself needs only the smallest of excuses to buy something. I try to live by my rule of "no buying when the cupboard is full" but once I start a new project there's free space! Truck kits are expensive and I like the rare stuff so that doesn't help either. No discounts 🙂 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, helios16v said:

Good man.

Sounds the right sort of number; I’m not interested in the Navy birds and I’ve not started on EJ, but that still leaves FG1, FGR2, J(UK), C, D, E, F, G.  And there’s multiple schemes to do in each, so I’ve multiple ones of most of those to do in the stash.  😄

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bbdave said:

I'm thinking of joining in if I may? i have a kit I know will suit, another that I'm not sure was used in Vietnam  it's an 0A-4M Skyhawk I don't know how to find out anyone know?.

Dave

...and you should join us as well with such an awesome model!!!  Please ignore the cocktail waitress, they have a habit of becoming unruly when I'm not around. We definitely need a Skyhawk in this build....though I don't think the OM-4M was around for this conflict. Oh will you may just have to add to the stash and buy an early model for this build!!!  :D

16 hours ago, Bbdave said:

Yes it'll be my first, I have an old Monogram Huey Hog kit which I've had for a long time.

Dave

bring her along and join the fun. :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, Dansk said:

Hi @Bbdave

You could save the scooter for Craig’s Single Type Group Build in march 

He’s much too nice a guy to say so himself 👍

no you don't have to....he'll get over it!!! Please don't compliment him as it goes to his head...plus he has work here to do first!

15 hours ago, helios16v said:

What, you want more Phantom kit pics?  We can probably oblige you.  :lol:

I'm thinking your Phantom reserves must be running dangerously low from that comment.  :hmmm:

...think Zoukei-Mura F-4E!!!!!!  You can sell body parts if you have to!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, helios16v said:

Good man.

so you have room for more....no excuses now!!!  ZM all the way!!!

14 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Gave a couple away?!?!?!?   but... but... but...   wot if you need 'em?!?!?!?: 

About 16 years ago I came back to the aircraft side of the hobby.   I was expecting the situation to be similar to that of the mid-80s, where one could pretty much get any kit that had ever been available.  I was shocked to find that was not so.   The Hasegawa Phantoms that I expected to be ten a penny were like hens' teeth.  Then Hasegawa re-released a few of their kits and I took the opportunity.   Having left the RAF a few years previously, I had a bit of disposable cash from my gratuity.   I splashed out a bit and spent about 400 quid on Phantom kits of various denominations.  B/N, C/D, E, J, RF...   you name it, I bought some.  

Bear in mind that in those days, Hasegawa Phantoms were about 15 quid each.   As you can imagine, given the current cost of Hasegawa Phantom kits, I have never regretted that decision!  :smartass:

I am still scared stiff of not having the Stash Support to be able to build a Phantom of my choice, should I wish to do so.  And with good reason.   I cannot build a (Wild Weasel) F-4G.   It seems that the mould for the relevant parts for the Hasegawa kit have been damaged beyond repair.   I'm surprised that some enterprising resin AM company has not solved the problem.  I'm sure that it would take someone like Aerocraft Models @Ali62 about fifteen minutes to knock up something suitable.  :D 

....sacrilege giving away good models......there should be a law against it.

I see a path here for you to make extra money with an AM F-4G set!!!

13 hours ago, helios16v said:

It's my "excuse" for maybe making room for a Z-M or 2.  :whistle:  (I'll blame @trickyrich for that...he hasn't had enough finger pointing at him of late.)  The early E (Vietnam) and the late Naval S would probably be my picks.  Besides, they went to a friend that I'm getting into the hobby.  I think I ended up getting not just him hooked, but I guess his fiance has taken quite a liking to the activity too.  :lol:

...oh says he who gives away Phantoms!!!   Though I like you evil plan to get someone else hooked......:devil:

6 hours ago, JeroenS said:

....so why are you only building 2 here??  :D If you thi the stash out you'll have room for more!

1 hour ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Sounds the right sort of number; I’m not interested in the Navy birds and I’ve not started on EJ, but that still leaves FG1, FGR2, J(UK), C, D, E, F, G.  And there’s multiple schemes to do in each, so I’ve multiple ones of most of those to do in the stash.  😄

...so which one shall we put you down for, for this GB?? (if you have already then just ignore me....:D.....as Host I ma duty bound to rope in/coerce as many members as I can into this GB!!  :fight:) no pressure! :D

• Haha 3

On 8/26/2020 at 8:43 PM, modelling minion said:

Oh right then, I see how it is. Leave it all to the co-host, the poor old over-worked, under appreciated "cocktail waitress" will pick up the slack, bloody typical! :) 

oh you love it...that sense of ultimate power!!! :D

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

..so which one shall we put you down for, for this GB?? (if you have already then just ignore me....:D.....as Host I ma duty bound to rope in/coerce as many members as I can into this GB!!  :fight:) no pressure! :D

I’ll stick with the RB-57E for this as it’s my first GB.  I prefer my F-4s mainly in shades of grey so they fit in better with another GB this year. 😉  ...but if the Cranberry goes quickly and one of the F-4 schemes / multiple decal sheets I want to do is a Vietnam vet.....

Chris

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JeroenS said:

I think many aircraft modellers have a fixation for a specific type. My dad has built around 20 Messerschmitt Bf 109's and apparently got scared as the number of 109 kits in his stash dropped below 15. Has purchased 5 new ones within just few weeks and is looking for more! Good thing he has a supplier close by ;) 

My fixation is F-104 Starfighter. But I have only 7 built and three in the stash. More coming, obviously :thumbsup: With planes it's pretty interesting stuff as you have potentially so many different liveries and insignia to choose from - not to mention the different versions and slight variations with them. So studying them via the models and lining up different takes on the same subject can be really Interesting stuff :) 

• Like 5

Evidently I'm prone to exaggeration...I was at 18.  I gave 2 away + I have the one on the bench that's just getting finished up (tomorrow), which means I've "only" got 15 in the locker.  Scalemates stash inventory works better when you keep it up to date.  It wouldn't be so bad if I would just focus on 1 scale.....I could cut that number in half.  :lol:

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Even a modest squirrel like myself needs only the smallest of excuses to buy something. I try to live by my rule of "no buying when the cupboard is full" but once I start a new project there's free space!

Or you could just get a bigger cupboard.  :D 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, reini said:

I think many aircraft modellers have a fixation for a specific type. My dad has built around 20 Messerschmitt Bf 109's and apparently got scared as the number of 109 kits in his stash dropped below 15. Has purchased 5 new ones within just few weeks and is looking for more! Good thing he has a supplier close by ;) 

My fixation is F-104 Starfighter. But I have only 7 built and three in the stash. More coming, obviously :thumbsup: With planes it's pretty interesting stuff as you have potentially so many different liveries and insignia to choose from - not to mention the different versions and slight variations with them. So studying them via the models and lining up different takes on the same subject can be really Interesting stuff :) 

Well, thanks for explaining @reini... In GB's, people from different parts of the forum meet. Mostly aircraft people though, but I guess that's also because there are a lot of aircraft modellers to begin with. But, as an outsider, I have to say I really wonder about why you would build so many models of the same aircraft 🙂 ... This helps me to understand 😉 

And it also proves that I'm not one haha... I'm building the M49 now, but most of the parts are the same for the M35. And already I'm thinking, my god I have to do ANOTHER one of these! Two of the same is the limit for me. But don't mind me, just keep on building those planes guys!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/27/2020 at 7:11 AM, JeroenS said:

@helios16v

🙄

10 hours ago, reini said:

My fixation is F-104 Starfighter. 

I know someoneone in our modelling club who also loves this missile... Think he has almost the complete Hasegawa collection. This aircraft is of no particular interest to me, but we used to fly them, so I have a few to wrap in Belgian colors...

So for a bit of laughter:

118615176_3266956470017456_6486737512260

And silence again..

• Like 2
  • Haha 7