Vietnam GB Chat

trickyrich

30 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Only 4 boxes @reini? Tsk... the bar is lowered every time... 

To be fair, two boxes are not yet been acquired/arrived - but are part of 'the plan'. :D Plus I have a 'Vietnam stack' of two more Eduard MiGs and quite a few US boxes too. But those are part of Plan B, so lets not get ahead of ourselves...

Can't remember whether it was 6 or 7 I built for the Scandinavian GB, but not gonna build less atleast. Good thing we have almost rest of the year for this GB.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PinkThorn242 said:

Well, finished clearing off shelf space for this GB's project(s) then. Wonder how long it will end up lasting.

You'll need more 😉 

Last I heard, @reini is adding a room to his house for this GB.

• Haha 5

Also now I'm grumpy that the only US Navy Sea King transfers I can find are for the Apollo recovery aircraft.

...Although notionally the HS-6 and HC-1 airframes could be usable because those squadrons were deployed, but need to track down refs to see if they were actually wearing white over gull grey in-theatre or not.

• Like 1

White over gull grey was standard USN livery for both SAR & ASW helos up until the late '80s/early '90s, right before the Sea Kings were phased out for the then new Seahawks.

10 minutes ago, helios16v said:

White over gull grey was standard USN livery for both SAR & ASW helos up until the late '80s/early '90s, right before the Sea Kings were phased out for the then new Seahawks.

OK. There do seem to be exceptions, like this HS-2 example in SEA camo and the Engine Grey scheme on this HS-6 example. Hrm.

Edited by PinkThorn242
  • Like 1

Just found this link for general scheme timelines (scroll down to Helicopters - Cold War).  Looks like 1955 was the change from Sea Blue to grey.  The SK would go to the white/grey in the early '70s for the carrier based birds.  There would be some overlap as the aircraft wouldn't actually be repainted until they went in for overhaul service (full repaints at the organizational/squadron level are very rare).  This won't cover outliers, as in the case of the SEA camo SK, but can provide general guidance for normal fleet aircraft.

http://www.theworldwars.net/resources/resource.php?r=camo_usn

My brain just automatically thinks carrier based for aircraft.  I actually wasn't aware that the smallboy helos would be painted differently.  Later on during the TPS era it didn't matter what type of boat if flew off of.  Another exception for the SK to keep things confusing.  :lol:

• Like 1

I tend to keep out of group builds now. I never finish in time (except the KUTA events for some reason 😉) or I lose my mojo however the US involvement in Vietnam is probably the conflict that most fascinates me, mainly because it was always on the news from as long as I can remember up to my mid teens, it was sort of the newsreel of my childhood I guess. So I am going to give it a try.

So much choice! I want to move away from fighter jets (Phantoms!) and do something a little different. It needs to be a straightforward build and preferably a kit that has sat in the stash for years. I think I have the answer:-

50226220671_1ac604f6b6_b.jpgCanberras by Ghostbase, on Flickr

I have always liked the Martin B-57 Canberra, especially in the SEA scheme, so I might go for a couple of 8th BS B-57B Canberras, one in camouflage and one in aluminium.

I am going to think it over this week and maybe make a decision next weekend 🙃

Michael

• Like 6

2 hours ago, helios16v said:

Just found this link for general scheme timelines (scroll down to Helicopters - Cold War).  Looks like 1955 was the change from Sea Blue to grey.  The SK would go to the white/grey in the early '70s for the carrier based birds.  There would be some overlap as the aircraft wouldn't actually be repainted until they went in for overhaul service (full repaints at the organizational/squadron level are very rare).  This won't cover outliers, as in the case of the SEA camo SK, but can provide general guidance for normal fleet aircraft.

http://www.theworldwars.net/resources/resource.php?r=camo_usn

My brain just automatically thinks carrier based for aircraft.  I actually wasn't aware that the smallboy helos would be painted differently.  Later on during the TPS era it didn't matter what type of boat if flew off of.  Another exception for the SK to keep things confusing.  :lol:

And why you see white over grey in those photos of 66 doing the Apollo 11 recovery long before it's "supposed" to be coming in. Hm.

Yeah.  That doesn't make much sense.  Seems like mid-'60s is more realistic for the transition, which doesn't give you a clear cut answer.  Why can't they keep things simple for us.  :lol:

1 hour ago, PinkThorn242 said:

And why you see white over grey in those photos of 66 doing the Apollo 11 recovery long before it's "supposed" to be coming in. Hm.

52 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Yeah.  That doesn't make much sense.  Seems like mid-'60s is more realistic for the transition, which doesn't give you a clear cut answer.  Why can't they keep things simple for us.  :lol:

This is why we need a Tardis. We need to go back and explain to everyone to take careful notes, measurements, and photo’s for future modelers. They need to know how aggravating their laziness can affect us. 😉

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, PinkThorn242 said:

Also now I'm grumpy that the only US Navy Sea King transfers I can find are for the Apollo recovery aircraft.

...Although notionally the HS-6 and HC-1 airframes could be usable because those squadrons were deployed, but need to track down refs to see if they were actually wearing white over gull grey in-theatre or not.

There were loads of grey and white Sea Kings in Vietnam Jenny, far more than were repainted for CSAR or other missions, have a look at this link to a pic of the USS Kearsage in 1969 as she is about to sail for Vietnam.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SH-3A_Sea_Kings_HS-6_on_USS_Kearsarge_(CVS-33)_1969.jpg

I also think that Sea Kings are a fantastic machine so am very happy at the thought that one could make it to the GB.

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

There were loads of grey and white Sea Kings in Vietnam Jenny, far more than were repainted for CSAR or other missions, have a look at this link to a pic of the USS Kearsage in 1969 as she is about to sail for Vietnam.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SH-3A_Sea_Kings_HS-6_on_USS_Kearsarge_(CVS-33)_1969.jpg

I also think that Sea Kings are a fantastic machine so am very happy at the thought that one could make it to the GB.

Yeah, I just got put off by the amount of conversion work that would be involved to backdate the Airfix model. =(

7 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Which Airfix model were you wanting to use?

I was originally planning to convert the HAR.3 model following this guide. Just kind of got put off by how involved it was.

Especially since it looks like the kit doesn't have the five-blade tail rotor in any more.

Edited by PinkThorn242
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tim R-T-C said:

I could use a good gull grey. Can anyone recommend a brush friendly tint. Revell, Humbrol, Vallejo or AK. Preferably not in a multipack.

It's not from your list, but Lifecolor UA-025 isn't bad.  It's a good representation of faded Light Gull Grey.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PinkThorn242 said:

I was originally planning to convert the HAR.3 model following this guide. Just kind of got put off by how involved it was.

Ah, I see.

You're much better of with a Fujimi kit for a US built Sea Kings as the Westland built machines actually had quite a few differences. There's also the Cyberhobby SH-3's, which might even have the right markings.

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

Ah, I see.

You're much better of with a Fujimi kit for a US built Sea Kings as the Westland built machines actually had quite a few differences. There's also the Cyberhobby SH-3's, which might even have the right markings.

Yeah, I just hit tunnel vision because the Big Yellow only had listings for the Westlands unless you go down to 144 or 350.

As soon as the BoB GB Stuka has cleared the bench, I'll give this a go using the box Udon scheme.

y4my9EXeYa8zkiln27ITdwE__e0Q63qHOM5FCX43

Basically a case of not checking which Case I needed for a 60ies 32nd FIS Deuce, so I inadvertently got the Case XX first.

In case you're worried, I've managed to get a Case X in the meantime, so case closed :)

• Like 5