Vietnam GB Chat

trickyrich

18 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I hope you're not try to steal builds for your GB!!!!! :fight:

As Co-Host you should be ashamed of you're self for suggesting that someone should save a model for another GB!!!! :shrug:

Not at all, the Skyhawk GB has plenty of willing contributors already so no need to go poaching. I was merely making sure that Jenny didn't over stretch herself as she is new to Britmodeller and the GB business and has yet to find how addictive they are, and saving her a few pennies so she can but kits for other GB's :) 

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Enzo the Magnificent will move this thread into the active GB section this weekend ready for the following weekends start. I'll post the rules as soon as that happens........or I remember!

@trickyrich    Enzo the Magnificent was unfortunately engaged elsewhere, so I did it instead...   :) 

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Let's forget this, available now from the Big Yellow Store...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AX50185

Odd you should mention that.  I will be doing an Airfic MiG-17 but in a dogfight double with an Academy F-4J as Showtime 100.

My question for the hosts @trickyrich and @modelling minion

Would these two be allowed in the same thread?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

unless our esteemed budgie smuggler wearing host thinks differently.

16 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

There's a mental image I definitely didn't need!!!!    :yikes:

I burst out laughing when i read these together, oh well SWMBO thinks Im nuts already. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, John Masters said:

Let's forget this, available now from the Big Yellow Store...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AX50185

Hm... I guess I could get that, build the MiG for this and then save the Skyhawk for the STGB...

Problem is I think part of me prefers the look of the 21 over the 17. Bleh.

Edited by PinkThorn242
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, PinkThorn242 said:

Hm... I guess I could get that, build the MiG for this and then save the Skyhawk for the STGB...

A sensible policy for a better Britain!  :D

:welcome: to the groupbuild madness!  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 1:12 PM, klr said:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm .... What to build? This list is as much for my future reference as anything.

The "long" (or "WWED?") list :

French Indochina:

Monogram F8F-1B Bearcat

Italeri F4U-7 Corsair

Revell (ex-Matchbox) PB4Y Privateer

*Italeri C-119C

*Heller Junkers Ju 52/3m

'Nam:

Airfix Cessna O-1 Bird Dog

Academy (also as Revell re-box) OV-10A Bronco

Italeri B-26K Counter Invader

Trumpeter F-105D Thunderchief

Revell/Monogram or Italeri (ex-ESCI) F-104C Starfighter

Italeri (ex-ESCI) F-104 Phantom "Aces"

Italeri (ex-ESCI) F-A/C "Skoshi" Tiger

Airfix RA-5C Vigilante

ESCI F-8H Crusader

*ESCI F-111A Aardvark (alternative: old Airfix kit)

Airfix A-4B Skyhawk

*ESCI A-4E (F?) Skyhawk

*Hasegawa A-4E/F Skyhawk

*Hobby Boss A-7B Corsair II

*Italeri AC-119K "Stinger"

*Italeri EB-66E Destroyer

Those peskie Commies:

*Airfix MiG-17C "Fresco"

'Nam choppers:

*Italeri UH-1B "Huey"

*Italeri UH-1C "Huey"

*Italeri (ex-ESCI) UH-1D "Huey"

*Italeri OH-6 Cayuse

*Italeri UH-34 Sea Horse

*Italeri ACH-47 Chinook

Things on wheels and tracks:

Revell M109

Academy M35

Italeri (ex-ESCI) M48 A3 Patton

Revell T-55AM (Vietnam, 2015)

Unfortunately, anything marked with a * is currently out of reach due to COVID-19. I should be able to get to them some time during the next few months, but I can't be sure when. I'd really like to build at least one chopper. I may also reserve the A-4s for their own GB next year. Then there are the other GBs over this time, particularly the Heller one.

Blimey, my 'stash' isn't as tall as this post!

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, PinkThorn242 said:

Problem is I think part of me prefers the look of the 21 over the 17. Bleh.

It's really nice kit, though, the Airfix MiG-17. I was planning to build one for this GB but I already built it earlier this summer. Now I need to get another one... :P 

- - - - - - - - - 

This GB kinda sneaked up on me - wasn't expecting this so soon! No worries though, luckily I've been more or less prepared for it already, just missing a kit and couple aftermarket stuff. So be prepared for a lineup of MiG's from various different manufacturers...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

A sensible policy for a better Britain!  :D

:welcome: to the groupbuild madness!  :thumbsup:  

8 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Shhhh... shhhhhh...!

Don't scare her off.  She'll be embroiled in the madness soon enough.  :D 

Hello @PinkThorn242 ... are you sure you're ready for the giggling academy that is the group build section ? Again welcome from a lifelong modeler If you need anything don't hesitate to ask. Im disabled and have loads of free time I can devote to research.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello @PinkThorn242 ... are you sure you're ready for the giggling academy that is the group build section ?

He has a point!  :lol:    

But joking aside, :welcome:again.  We're a vibrant and diverse community and we hope you will join us.  Please just try and ignore the somewhat juvenile sense of humour.  Or maybe join in with it...  :lol:  

• Haha 2

I've gone from having nothing suitable for this build when I checked off the list at the start of this year to having four airfield dioramas ready to go.

Although I might try and squeeze the Aéronavale Corsairs into the STGB... 🤔

• Like 5

On 10/08/2020 at 20:48, klr said:

I just realized the Italeri OH-13 Sioux is also eligible for this build, as all 3 subjects in my kit are from 'Nam. Being of a certain age, I always associate the Sioux with the Korean War, having grown up watching M*A*SH*. I forget it soldiered on until the early years of the Vietnam War. It was replaced by the OH-6 Cayuse, and that would definitely be on my short list, if the windscreen were not missing ...

I think I might have a spare from a trashed kit. I presume it is the 1/72 one?

5 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

@trickyrich    Enzo the Magnificent was unfortunately engaged elsewhere, so I did it instead...   :) 

OMG It's moved already!!!!! Lucky I was sitting down when I read this!!! Gosh Id better start on those rules!!

@PinkThorn242, there's a saying that is very appropriate for those joining a GB for the first time...."abandon hope all yee who enter........and you're wallet or purse!' :D  Arrr the joys of AM parts for builds.........take a nice model and replace 80% with new bits!!  I'm with you re the MiG-21...though that double set is really nice.

4 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Odd you should mention that.  I will be doing an Airfic MiG-17 but in a dogfight double with an Academy F-4J as Showtime 100.

My question for the hosts @trickyrich and @modelling minion

Would these two be allowed in the same thread?

...and why wouldn't they????? :D  Knowing how you build it'd make life a lot easier for you (and use) just to update only one thread.....maybe more often! :bleh:

...and at the "Giggling Squad", I do like that name, so hence forth those who remain nameless shall all be referred to as that.....saves typing,...... it's way to cold downunder for "Budgee Smugglers"!!!!   Though if I was to wear any, and I'm too old for that, they'd be "Eagle Smugglers!!!  :rofl2:

I'm off to have a coffee and do up the rules.........  :tease:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, reini said:

I was planning to build one for this GB but I already built it earlier this summer.

The Mig-17 in the dogfight double kit has different markings than the Mig-17 in the single kit.  That's a plus for me!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John Masters said:

The Mig-17 in the dogfight double kit has different markings than the Mig-17 in the single kit.  That's a plus for me!

Yes - definitely. And the A-4 is really nice kit too so can't go wrong with that box.

- - - - - - - - - - - - 

50224996047_03e3c3acb4_o.jpg

Alright, here's what I have planned - atleast for the initial strike. I don't want to get greedy, but if I have time left in the end, there might be more...

Sitting on top of the pile is my Airfix MiG-17 and on the right some reference material. Highly recommended btw, great read!

50224996027_cb332fe2ec_o.jpg

Close-up of the MiG-17 (or Shenyang J-5 to be precise).

50224125868_53bddebacf_o.jpg

I have not built too many vietnam war era planes yet - but enough to it become obvious that the little Shengyang is getting outnumbered and is in dire need of reinforcements!

So we're gonna fix that now!

• Like 8