Vietnam GB Chat

trickyrich

• 3 weeks later...

gosh I keep forgetting about the threads in Future builds!! :wall:

Well @Alan P, if you're going to go big that you may as well go huge!! :thumbsup: 

I'm going with a 1/32nd Skyraider which will nearly be as big, now just have to wonder if anyones going to bring a 1/32nd F-4 along?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I'm going with a 1/32nd Skyraider which will nearly be as big, 

In all honesty @trickyrich you're just hoping you have as big as @Alan P :D

I mean that Thunderchief is MASSIVE in comparison to Skyraider. Thats not to say 1/32 Skyraider isn't a pretty big model on it's own right - but just don't put it next to a Thunderchief ;)

Here is comparison of F-102 - which is somewhat same legth as F-105, but noticeably smaller/skinnier otherwise - to Bf 109. Which is couple meters shorter than Skyraider, yes. But still. It never ceases to amaze me how big these Century Series fighters are, even the single engined ones. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

you know the saying Reini, it's not how big it is but how you use it..... :D.......and I suppose in the right light your "109" may look big to some! :rofl2:

• Haha 1

Rich,

do I understand it correctly that the subjects of this GB must have served in Vietnam (i.e. actual SEA camo and markings), or will it suffice if they are from the same time period but could serve elsewhere?

13 hours ago, Marcin Kaminski said:

Rich,

do I understand it correctly that the subjects of this GB must have served in Vietnam (i.e. actual SEA camo and markings), or will it suffice if they are from the same time period but could serve elsewhere?

Hi Marcin, no the subject had to have served in Vietnam.

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Hi Marcin, no the subject had to have served in Vietnam.

...or Indochina?

Hi Rich,

Can I join please? Just bought myself a Wolf Pack F-14.

I'm building an F-14 for the 'Kid GB' and purchased etch and masks for it; only to find out they are for the new tooling (the current build is the old tooling :facepalm:).

Anyhow, the VF-1 is the new tooling and I have a excuse to build it here :smile:

Cheers

Nigel

...ok to be more correct here are the 3 categories 

On 4/18/2019 at 2:58 PM, trickyrich said:

First Indochina War 1946 to 1954

The Vietnam War (Second Indochina War) - 1955 to 1975

Present day – Post 1975 

@wimbledon99 ....Nigel you had me for a moment, I had to go check this one. VF-1 & VF-2 (Bounty Hunters) did serve of the USS Enterprise during the last days of the Vietnam war providing CAP during the evacuation of Saigon, Operation Frequent Wind". This is something I didn't know.

So but that she will be ok, you just need to do her in her original config, there were differences between the initial and later A models.

Plus if you can figure out the numbers of these initial aircraft (shouldn't too hard)!!  Bonus points! :D 

Hi Rich,

The manual says this:

2iZ9EB3%5DScreen

And I found this on-line:

"VF-1, Wolfpack was established on 14 October 1972 at NAS Miramar, at the same time as VF-2, these units were the first operational fighter squadrons equipped with the Grumman F-14 Tomcat. VF-1 received the first F-14As on 1 July 1973. The squadron's insignia was a red wolf's head designed by Grumman Commercial Artist, George M. Kehew who himself is a World War II combat veteran. The squadron insignia is registered in the U.S. Library of Congress.

VF-1 was assigned to Carrier Air Wing 14 (CVW-14) aboard USS Enterprise. The first cruise came in September 1974. The end of the cruise saw the first Tomcat's combat debut, as VF-1 and VF-2 flew cover over Saigon for evacuation of US personnel in April 1975 as part of Operation Frequent Wind."

Is it good to go? No worries if not, I understand. I'll find another excuse to build her, I'm sure! :wink:

On 4/18/2019 at 2:58 PM, trickyrich said:

First Indochina War 1946 to 1954

The Vietnam War (Second Indochina War) - 1955 to 1975

Present day – Post 1975 

Nah it'll be fine, I think the scheme is right, you should have 2 choices for that under nose unit, just check your references for which is correct for the early model F-14s. Will be great to see one in the build as they're one of my favs! :wub:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

Nah it'll be fine, I think the scheme is right, you should have 2 choices for that under nose unit, just check your references for which is correct for the early model F-14s. Will be great to see one in the build as they're one of my favs! :wub:

:yahoo:   :thanks:

Oh what the heck @trickyrich sign me up for this one as well, I'll go full GB in 2020. I still had a bit of wiggle room in between Spitfire and Heller classic GB's 🙂  

US Army trucks, yeah!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone open up a bit Cambodia's involvement in the Vietnam War? I'm reading Squadron Signals MiG-17 Fresco In Action - and on one picture there is a mention of Cambodian MiG-17 combat against South Vietnamese Skyraiders. And on another photo from -72 a Cambodian MiG on an airfield next to South Vietnamese F-5's?

Well, in any case I found decals for this bird:

spacer.png

spacer.png

And I thought it would make an interesting choice for this GB. Recently I've been drawn towards early MiG's - so I might re-do my whole plan for this GB. No SEA camo but MiG's instead. We will see :)

• Like 4

8 hours ago, reini said:

And I thought it would make an interesting choice for this GB. Recently I've been drawn towards early MiG's - so I might re-do my whole plan for this GB. No SEA camo but MiG's instead. We will see :)

Can't go wrong with a Mig-17, excellent choice of aircraft and a Cambodian one will be nice.

Cambodia's involvement in the Vietnam War is a right can of worms and goes from support for the South Vietnamese to neutrality and all the while playing host to considerable numbers of North Vietnamese regular army troops both on "the trail" and in very well stocked staging areas. They also used a variety of aircraft including AD-4 Skyraiders passed to them by the French and a couple of AD-6's that found their way to Cambodia from South Vietnam, and some Fouga Magisters.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2020 at 1:18 PM, reini said:

Well, in any case I found decals for this bird:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Like the look of this one Reini :thumbsup:  Which decal sheet did you find it on?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment I'm considering three different projects:

1.   Two OV-10 Broncos. One in the olive drab colour scheme and one in the overall light grey scheme.

2.   A dogfight double.   Cunningham and Driscoll's F-4J Showtime 100 v "Colonel Tomb"s Mig-17

3.   A 1/35 M551 Sheridan

However if the workload from other GBs permits, I will spare myself the agony of choice and just do 'em all!  :fool: 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

At the moment I'm considering three different projects:

1.   Two OV-10 Broncos. One in the olive drab colour scheme and one in the overall light grey scheme.

2.   A dogfight double.   Cunningham and Driscoll's F-4J Showtime 100 v "Colonel Tomb"s Mig-17

3.   A 1/35 M551 Sheridan

However if the workload from other GBs permits, I will spare myself the agony of choice and just do 'em all!  :fool: 

Just build them all!

I'm going to be making an Aeronavale SB2C-5 using the Special Hobby version of the Academy 1/72nd kit and some Berna decals.

• Like 1

Oooh I had forgotten about this GB. I recently required this little set so might be able to make up a nice USAF pairing.

spacer.png

I've also got an Eduard Spitfire IX and a Dauntless with 1947 French markings. So I should have something I can make up during the GB.

• Like 3