Vietnam GB Chat

trickyrich

2 hours ago, Wez said:

I don't know why I bother thinking about these things at this stage - I'm bound to change my mind by the time the GB starts!

It's not just me then!

Though I do like the sound of the Armee de L'Air Hellcat, and yes I did know about them, the Helldiver is also a great choice.

Damn it, you've now got me thinking about French stuff from Indochina! A-26, H-19, C-119 oh bugger this could get messy!!

On 4/25/2019 at 12:19 AM, Borisz said:

I have an ACH-47 in its box. Do you think is it fit here? :)

On 4/25/2019 at 12:45 AM, Borisz said:

The Easy Money. ;)

Welcome along and what a great idea for a build. I had heard of these choppers but didn't know too much about them, thanks @helios16v for that link, very interesting!!!

On 4/25/2019 at 7:21 AM, modelling minion said:

It's not just me then!

Though I do like the sound of the Armee de L'Air Hellcat, and yes I did know about them, the Helldiver is also a great choice.

Damn it, you've now got me thinking about French stuff from Indochina! A-26, H-19, C-119 oh bugger this could get messy!!

mmm and what about the Bearcats!!! The list below will really mess with you now!

I have a really old book called "Vietnam - The War in the Air" by Rene J Francillon, which has a small but interesting section on the Armee de L'Air in Indochina.

https://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-War-Air-Rene-Francillon/dp/0517629763

There's quite a few very interesting choices here, most just would require the markings:

Dakota/C-47 - ex - RAF & US

Ki-43 II Oscar - Groupe de Chasse (G.C.) 1/7, they normally operated Spitfire IX's

Spitfire IX - G.C. 1/3, 2/3 , 1/4

P-63 Kingcobra - Groupe de Marche 1/9

F6F-5 Hellcat - G.C. 2/6

F8F.1 Bearcat - G.M. 2/9, G.C. 2/21

F8F.1B Bearcat (Recon) - E.R.O.M. 80

B-26B & C Invaders - G.B. 1/19, G.B. 1/25, G.C. 1/21, E.P.R. 2/19 (Recon)

C-119

Nord 2501 Noratlas

Morane-Sauinier M.S.500

Westland S-55

Hiller Model 360

Aeronautique Navale

F4U-7 & AU.1 Corsair - Flotille 14F

SB2C-5 Helldiver - Flotilla 8F

SBD-5 Dauntless - Flotilla 4F

Catalina - Flotilla 8F

BB4Y-2 Privateer - Flotilla 8F

Catalina - Flotilla 8F

Piasecki HUP - Flotilla 58S

Supermarine Sea Otter - Escadrille 9S

Grumman JRF-5 Goose - Escadrille 8S

...and there's probably a few I've missed as well, but some interesting and different choices here.

• Like 5

a Mosquito with Sharks Mouth!! Now that is something quite different and I didn't know they operated them either. Just checked and they were FB VI's used there in the late 40's.

...and another check and it seem Patrice @TEMPESTMK5 has already done one of these in the de Havilland . It's now all his fault if I start to try and track down some markings for this aircraft........

Who's up to doing Airfix's 1/24th monster in this scheme!!!

.....have started searching for decals, found some but not with the sharks mouth..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good evening

I am very pleased to see that my ''Sharkmouth Mossie'' is inspiring you Rich but I dont' know if you can find decals in 1/24 scale ..

I am also very pleased to see that more and more people are planning to build aircraft fot the Indochina War sub section of this Gb ..

Patrice

• Like 1

The Indochina war is a bit of an unknown for most of us. What little I've read on the subject is fascinating.   

Unfortunately the 1/24th Mozzie is out of the question for me (and 1/32n) definitely no space for them. But a 1/48th version........ have found some decals though not with the Sharks Mouth. I reckon I could almost mask that up!! :hmmm:

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Oooo a Dauntless, never knew that!!

You know now you want to build one!!!!

Folks we just need two more members for this to go to the vote!!!! 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, trickyrich said:

The Indochina war is a bit of an unknown for most of us. What little I've read on the subject is fascinating.  

You know now you want to build one!!!!

Folks we just need two more members for this to go to the vote!!!! 

Well then, I'm in

And everyone need a Dauntless in their stash, like me  :closedeyes:

46807147625_52f1d50ccc_b.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SAU said:

Well then, I'm in

And everyone need a Dauntless in their stash, like me  :closedeyes:

Welcome aboard SAU, that makes us just one more member signing up from getting the numbers needed!

Funny that you mention the Dauntless (great choice by the way) as I have just got back from a model show where I snagged an Italeri 1/48 SBD-5 that comes with markings for an aircraft from the Arromanches in Indochina. I also accidentally purchased a couple of 1/48 SB2C Helldivers which also have markings for aircraft used in Indochina so it looks like I might need to change my mind as to what I will be building for the GB.

• Like 1

I'm glad I've got people thinking about Indochina, just watch your Helldiver versions, pretty sure the French only used the dash 5.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wez said:

I'm glad I've got people thinking about Indochina, just watch your Helldiver versions, pretty sure the French only used the dash 5.

that's correct......

.....and its not a SB2C-5 Helldicer as some :clown: typed in earlier :whistle:

:wall: 

• Like 1

On 28 april 2019 at 12:27 AM, trickyrich said:

Unfortunately the 1/24th Mozzie is out of the question for me (and 1/32n) definitely no space for them. But a 1/48th version........ have found some decals though not with the Sharks Mouth. I reckon I could almost mask that up!! :hmmm:

I believe I have got a set lying around somewhere. 

Take a look here. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/t2m-racing-products-61062f-mosquitos-fb-mkvi--180159

that is the set.

cheers,

• Like 1

ooo!! can you scan the decals and the instructions for me?

the regular insignias etc I can get and I reckon I could easily mask up the sharks mouth or at least make some marks up.

but it's quite low at the moment on any project list........and knowing me I'll get distracted on something even  more unusual!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hook said:

If I join the fray with this:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04956-bell-ah-1g-cobra--1089070

, would that make it the magic number?

Cheers,

Andre 

with bells on and the smell of napalm in the morning!!!!

Great choice and one I was hoping to see in this build.

Thanks to Andre and everyone else who signed up, we now have the number to go through to the voting!!! :yahoo:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Hello, yes?  

Only joking. :smartass:     It's on the bunfight list. 

oh goodie :D

mmmmm bun....Apple & Cinnamon  :eat:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 4:15 AM, Valkyrie said:

Time to dust down all the Vietnam movies, there’s a few! Top 3? Apocalypse Now purely for the chopper scene we all know, did DI DI DI do did did did DI do..Full Metal Jacket and... can’t pick one. If anyone hasn’t yet seen the American made 10 part documentary that was released last year, its fantastic! The Vietnam war, 18 hours of fact Ken Burns and Lynn Novak, a must see.

I actually stumbled across the companion book for the series at the local Barnes & Noble this past week for $20.  Yes please!  :thumbsup:

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

There’s a book to go with it?!! Il need to have a look

Looking at it now, it wasn't $20.  It might've been $30 (50% off) at the local store.  Doesn't seem to be much of a discount online.  But at least you know what to look for.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-vietnam-war-geoffrey-c-ward/1125315118?ean=9780307700254#/

39 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Looking at it now, it wasn't $20.  It might've been $30 (50% off) at the local store.  Doesn't seem to be much of a discount online.  But at least you know what to look for.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-vietnam-war-geoffrey-c-ward/1125315118?ean=9780307700254#/

I just popped for it off Amazon for $24.11 including shipping.  :penguin:

• Like 2