More Seafire/Spitfire Questions

Tony C

I'm currently undertaking a series build of 6 Spitfires and 1 Seafire but have hit a small stumbling block and wonder if there is anyone can help with the following..

• Can anyone confirm the colour of the forward fuel tank as fitted to the Spitfire Mk.Vb during WWII?
  • Would it have been left unpainted, painted Interior Grey/Green or 'rust' coloured, assuming that it was self sealing?
  • Also looking confirmation of whether or not there was an air filter, similar to that fitted to the Merlin in a Mk.IX/XVI, also fitted below the Merlin in the Mk.V and if possible any images of such?

• Same question regarding both forward tanks for the Seafire Mk.XVII during its Frontline career?
  • Left unpainted, painted Interior Grey/Green or A.N. Other colour, if it was self sealing?
  • Also looking confirmation of whether or not there was an air filter, similar to that fitted to the Merlin in a Mk.IX/XVI, also fitted below the Griffon engine fitted to the Mk.XVII and if possible any images of such?

• Same question regarding both forward tanks for the Spitfire Mk.24.
  • Left unpainted, painted Interior Grey/Green or A.N. Other colour, if it was self sealing?
  • Also looking confirmation of whether or not there was an air filter, similar to that fitted to the Merlin in a Mk.IX/XVI, also fitted below the Griffon engine fitted to the Mk.24 and if possible any images of such?

I've tried Google without any luck (obviously typing the wrong questions in) and despite having approximately 15 books on the Seafire/Spitfire, none seem to show any clear pictures of the these tanks. I would therefore be internally grateful, if anyone in Britmodellerland, is able to provide or point me in the direction of pictures which show these tanks and particularly  any which show the area where the filler caps are!

Please consider me lain prostrate at the collectives feet!:worthy:

Many thanks,

Tony C

Hi Tony

Unless the tanks were covered in some kind of self sealing layer,  as they were in the Hurricane (which is brick red) then it will be the internal colours.

Spitfire insides were painted aluminium apart from the cockpit(up to seat bulkhead) until late 1943, and then the internals are grey-green. 

I'll nab some images off @Etiennedup flickr...again

Mk VIII in Italy, looks aluminium

6317308321_06b57a232a_o.jpgSpitfire maintenance by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

late model, grey green

23237102691_4c73a59bae_o.jpgSpitfire LF Mk. IXe ,  1946. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

regarding the XVII and 24 oil and fule tanks, these maybe of interest

from https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/135779-supermarine-mk-iii-angled-firewall-and-enlarged-internal-fuel-tanks

Where to put the oil and the fuel.

Designed basically as an interceptor, the Spitfire was always critical for fuel, compounded by increased demand as more powerful Merlin and later Griffon engines were introduced. 

On the first Griffon installation, the Mk XII, basically a Mk V with a 'single' stage engine, the oil tank was initially re-located behind the pilot. 

With the introduction of the two stage 'long' Griffon on the Mk XIV, space was freed up in the engine bay to permit the firewall to be canted forward and install the oil tank partially in this space in conjunction with further fuel installed in the wing leading edges.

Image:- Geoff Spinks

18-SM969DX06May081stenginerunGeoffSpinks
The Seafire XV/XVII, basically developed from the Mk XII with upright firewall, reversed this oil tank, biting in to the top fuel tank but compensated by wing leading edge tanks. 

17-SX300-SX336-01-001a_zpsecaf90c4.jpg

Mark

this was posted by @Mark12  who maybe able to answer more.

Sorry, I need to wrap up now, but hope these get the info ball rolling,   I'm sure the usual suspects will be along to make a better job than this

cheers

T

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Troy,

I have 3 of the above images (don't have the LF Mk.IXe) but certainly appreciate your imput!

The image that shows the wrecks of the XVII has me a little confused with regard to the oil tank, as the wreck on the left, seems to show a cap on the shoulder of the tank as well as one on the top, whilst the one on the right is inconclusive!

The image of the LF Mk.IXe shows the air intake/filter that I would like to know if similar were fitted to the XVII and F.24?

Again, thanks for the imput.

Tony

I'm probably wrong, but isn't that the oil tank mounted in front of the fuselage fuel  tank? I am guessing that the filler cap is on the shoulder of the oil tank to allow for expansion of the oil when up to operating temperature and to prevent overfilling. I know rear axles on autos are filled to below the filler opening/drain plug  for just such a reason. Just an uneducated guess. Waiting for a former Spitfire erk to jump in here and educate us...or maybe @Troy Smith!

Mike

Re the filters. I do not think MarkVs were fitted with the AeroVee filter fitted to the VIII, IX and XVI. However, the Seafire III seems to have done. From mid 1944 the MarkV was being phased out of first line service in the UK and Burma and in the Middle East, Italy and the Balkans, Axis fighter numbers were in decline, so may have been less perceived need to replace the bulky Vokes filters

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I'm probably wrong, but isn't that the oil tank mounted in front of the fuselage fuel  tank? I am guessing that the filler cap is on the shoulder of the oil tank to allow for expansion of the oil when up to operating temperature and to prevent overfilling. I know rear axles on autos are filled to below the filler opening/drain plug  for just such a reason. Just an uneducated guess. Waiting for a former Spitfire erk to jump in here and educate us...or maybe @Troy Smith!

Mike

Seems to make sense but think I'll wait until firm confirmation before leaping in with both feet! :D

I appreciate all the input so far,

Much thankings