This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
PhoenixII

Does anybody give a grump?!!

10 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

People ruining the weekend with a lawn mower

That reminds me, must go and cut the grass. 14:00 on Sunday.....🤬

10 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

So it looks as if we will move broadband to Vodafone. 

Anyone got experience of their broadband?

Had Vodafone broadband/landline/mobile for a while now, no problems to grump about.

I am getting fed up with looking in the Ready For Inspection threads only to find Works In Progress. If I was really interested in how someone did it I'd look in the WIP Forum, but when I look in RFI, that's what I expect to see :badmood:

I am tired of people complaining about the price of things - $3 for a cuppa, $4.50 for a coffee, $4 for a slice of cake, $5 for a car park.

Any more complaints and I will stop inviting people round to my house.

Cat food adverts,they hear a packet of biscuits or hear a pouch of food being opened then run up to the saucer and wolf it down,i'd love them to try it with mine....

Why is it that todays filmmakers can only film night scenes by switching off all the lights? For the best part of a century film makers have been able to convey the impression of night time, while still illuminating the scene. Now I get to watch a black screen and, if I'm lucky, the whites of a characters eyes, while something that may or may not be pertinent to the story plays out.

The problem even extends to daytime filming sometimes....I believe the term is 'atmospheric'.

If I am listening to drama without pictures then it is really a radio play.

58 minutes ago, Kiwidave4 said:

Why is it that todays filmmakers can only film night scenes by switching off all the lights? For the best part of a century film makers have been able to convey the impression of night time, while still illuminating the scene. Now I get to watch a black screen and, if I'm lucky, the whites of a characters eyes, while something that may or may not be pertinent to the story plays out.

The problem even extends to daytime filming sometimes....I believe the term is 'atmospheric'.

If I am listening to drama without pictures then it is really a radio play.

With celluloid film, they just put a filter on. That's why it was always 'dark daylight'. Never seen a Western shot in the dark.

Can you do that with digital the same way?

My wife recently decided that she wanted to watch that Game of Thrones from start to finish. Not my cup of tea but I did catch quite a few episodes by simply being around while she was watching it and the night scenes, a lot of the battle scenes and the indoor scenes I 'saw' were virtually impossible to make out even with the blackout curtains drawn, all lights off and squinting at the screen. While it did sort of capture the chaos of battle inasmuch as you couldn't make out what on earth was going on it I don't think it enhanced the story at all because you couldn't figure out what on earth was going on and I found myself getting a little annoyed that they only ever really came into clear focus and suddenly got a lot brighter when they wanted to do some gratuitous and rather unconvincing be-heading and mutilation.

I thought that I'd cracked one of my "Grail" kits - a Merit Aston Martin DB3S - from what I believe was the clean-up of a deceased estate, but it sold before I could get my bid in. Not happy, Jan ...

10 hours ago, Beardie said:

gratuitous and rather unconvincing be-heading and mutilation.

Should we be worried that you described it as unconvincing ?

The things that must pass for entertainment North of the wall......  :)

2 hours ago, IanHx said:

Should we be worried that you described it as unconvincing ?

The things that must pass for entertainment North of the wall......  :)

Yes but no animals were harmed in the production.

Even here 'North of the Wall' we haven't gotten quite as far as actual execution for entertainment purposes ……….yet. But even simple logic dictates that heads don't come flying off with enormous ease amid huge sprays of raspberry sauce in the real world unless the strike is very accurate, very powerful and with a very sharp implement where these shows would have you believe that any fool with a sword can cleanly swipe the heads of their enemies with a resulting majestic fountain of the red stuff. I do have to say that I was shown footage of real be-headings many years ago, although not in a combat situation, and they were not nearly as spectacular or 'clean' or 'entertaining'. The type I am referring to remind me of the trend in gorefest movies some years ago of showing people being hit by trains etc. and virtually vaporising. All very titillating to a certain type of bod but far from reality.

58 minutes ago, Beardie said:

where these shows would have you believe that any fool with a sword can cleanly swipe the heads of their enemies with a resulting majestic fountain of the red stuff. 

Aye, that'll be all the Warfarin they put in Westeros beer.....   :)

I'm really fed up with my country's 'Dear Leader's making a complete bottom of himself while abroad and embarrassing my nation. Apologies to all those in the U.K. that see/hear him this week.

Whilst I totally agree with you, don't take this any further, otherwise those who are watching us will shut this thread down.

Current grump. Second hand car dealers who sell you a car and then become "uncontactable" when you complain about the fact that they sold you a pup.

54 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Current grump. Second hand car dealers who sell you a car and then become "uncontactable" when you complain about the fact that they sold you a pup.

They are all sharks. 

I only buy 3 year old cars from main dealers, that way you get a car that should be OK. 

I'm on a roll. Today's grump, wives, or to be more precise, my wife. I'm convinced that when she went into hospital several years ago for a major operation, she had a word with the surgeon and got him to surgically remove her sense of humour! Today, after lunch, I got the vacuum cleaner out and started to vacuum the stairs down. SWMBO comes up to me and asks "What are you doing?" to which I helpfully replied, "I'm learning to play this banjo". Didn't go down well. So then she says "I can see that, smart a**e. Where are you going to do it?" Never been one to avoid a direct question, so I said "I thought that I'd start at the top of the garden". Isn't silence blissful:whistle:.

John.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

I'm on a roll. Today's grump, wives, or to be more precise, my wife. I'm convinced that when she went into hospital several years ago for a major operation, she had a word with the surgeon and got him to surgically remove her sense of humour! Today, after lunch, I got the vacuum cleaner out and started to vacuum the stairs down. SWMBO comes up to me and asks "What are you doing?" to which I helpfully replied, "I'm learning to play this banjo". Didn't go down well. So then she says "I can see that, smart a**e. Where are you going to do it?" Never been one to avoid a direct question, so I said "I thought that I'd start at the top of the garden". Isn't silence blissful:whistle:.

John.

you need an extension cord for the vac ...

Grumping at recycled news on BBC again....     thanks for reminding me that the GOAT passed away 3 years ago.

Did have to snigger at auto correct changing Grumping to Trumping though.... 

Posted (edited)

Watching a service from Arromanches,very nice except a couple of unwanted interuptions from the presenter then when someone starts singing White Ciffs of Dover the presenter (bbc) starts interviewing the designer of the memorial unvieled this morning...Why couldn't it wait for 5 minutes!....

Edited by Vince1159

Anyone else notice that Belfast has been "upgraded" to a battleship. There are some real slackers in the Beeb's research department.

4 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Anyone else notice that Belfast has been "upgraded" to a battleship. There are some real slackers in the Beeb's research department.

Hope its not on the boxart from the new Trumpeter kit of the vessel in war-time fit soon be released ( maybe, one day please ! ).