This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

Does anybody give a grump?!!

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Also known as being too stupid to realise how stupid you are. Its scary common out there unfortunately.

Steve.

Seems stupidity is actually encouraged these days. Have to avoid being political but there is one 'culture' that seems cultivated the tradition of bestowing celebrity status on people whose only claim to fame are that they are famous for being famous. Once upon a time you had to climb Everest, sail around the world solo or split the atom to be famous. Now the people who are doing the modern equivalent of those deeds are shrouded in anonymity while the most talentless spare parts are world famous. 

It has been fashionable for a while to refer to criticism of such spare parts as 'Tall Poppy Syndrome'. I prefer to think of it as 'Scum Syndrome', as in 'the scum always floats to the top'.

The Internet compounds the Dunning-Kruger assessment. People who don't know how stupid they are post advice on the Internet, and people who are too stupid to recognise the advice is nonsense take it. Those people then advise others on the basis of false advice, thus ensuring that logic and common sense eventually disappear under a huge mountain of BS.

It is of course not so evident on an intellectual forum such as BM, but the motorcycle forums I frequent leave me in despair as I watch the correct, logical, common sense advice being ridiculed while the nonsense gradually assumes the status of fact.

25 minutes ago, Kiwidave4 said:

Seems stupidity is actually encouraged these days. Have to avoid being political but there is one 'culture' that seems cultivated the tradition of bestowing celebrity status on people whose only claim to fame are that they are famous for being famous. Once upon a time you had to climb Everest, sail around the world solo or split the atom to be famous. Now the people who are doing the modern equivalent of those deeds are shrouded in anonymity while the most talentless spare parts are world famous. of fact.

I can promise you, people were famous for stupid things long before the modern era. 

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

I can promise you, people were famous for stupid things long before the modern era. 

I am well aware of that. The difference, even in my lifetime, is that stupid people were known for their stupidity, a form of notoriety if you like, and an example of what not to do. Now seems that it is increasingly the stupid people who are held up as examples of what we should all aspire to. 

Years back, before what I knew to be true had been given a name, I was quite derogatory about someone being known as a socialite, known simply for being known, neither in a positive or negative way especially. That probably depended on your take of them. :unsure: It seems to me, socialites have been joined on what I would deem some of the lower rungs of societies ladder by influencers, that are notable for expressing opinions about nothing of any value, a family name beginning with K springs to mind & the scary thing is the hoards who feed off these creatures, the very ones I have been so dismissive of for years (decades even) & to whom Dunning-Kruger bestowed legitimacy. :( At least I can take pride that my sons appear to have cultivated a healthy sense of cynicism & some self awareness.

@Kiwidave4 the sad face was for your last paragraph, not the body of your post.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

Lady Godiva springs to mind....

For some obscure reason my Wife had Love Island on the TV. Good grief! These people were trying to have what they probably think was (like) a conversation.

Pitiful to listen to. I went to bed fearing that they may one day breed. 

Starting to think that my posts here only serve as proof of the seamless transition I made at some point from angry young man to angry old man!

I watch very little TV, but my wife likes to have it on so I trawl the channels and record the handful of programmes that may prove watchable. Then I can leave her to it unless something appeals to me, such as 'Modern Life is Goodish', 'Russel Howard', or '9 out of 10 Cats Does Countdown'.

Recently I stumbled on 'Classical Destinations', a ten year old show on a lesser channel outside of Prime Time that is part travelogue, part history. It is presented in English, a rarity these days, by Simon Callow and visits European cities where the great composers worked. It demonstrates the way that civilisation was once developing, and the culture that existed, and to a degree still exists in some parts of the World.

Suddenly the programme was interrupted by a channel promo for something called 'Duck Dynasty' - this appeared to be a foreign language reality show featuring a group of intellectually handicapped people. In contrast to 'Classical Destinations' we were given in about 60 seconds a sobering glimpse of where civilisation is now headed - and the major part stupidity plays in the entertainment industry.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

For some obscure reason my Wife had Love Island on the TV. Good grief! These people were trying to have what they probably think was (like) a conversation.

Pitiful to listen to. I went to bed fearing that they may one day breed. 

Sadly I suspect that they already have, probably the only reason they’re on the so-called Love Island is to increase their notoriety🙄.

I never ceases to amaze me, the depths that program makers will stoop to, in order to come up with new "entertainment". Fortunately, most of it ends up on a Saturday evening on both main channels, which is a night that I never watch "live" TV. Luckily having a Humax box, I can watch hours of half decent programs that I've recorded. Saturday evening TV is the equivalent of a council tip.....it's where all of the crap ends up. But the latest piece of drivel has sadly, completely baffled me. Can someone tell me the point of "The Masked Singer!!" I've never watched it, but have been subjected to the endless trailers for it, and my only response is.....REALLY!!

Baffled Bullbasket.

Edited by Bullbasket
Loosin' me marbles!

We caught about 5 minutes of this programme whilst channel hopping. As they were about to reveal the identity of the ‘celebrity ‘ we decided to stay with it and see who it was and guess what? It was someone we’d never heard of and didn’t recognise! Won’t be making that mistake again.

’ tother John

You know what I get annoyed about, is guesses being reported as facts in the media. An example is the animal death toll here in Australia, the number 1 billion is being thrown around to sensational news headlines. If you do a lot of digging, you find out how they get that number. There was a study done in 2007 that estimated a certain amount of animals species per hectare, so they basically found this figure, multiplied it by how many hectares thought burnt out and bingo, that's how many animals have died. Some species don't even have this estimate per hectare, so people have just picked a wild number out of the air.

This is nothing better than a guess. They also ignore the fact that animals in Australia are actually pretty good at getting away from fire. Birds obviously just fly away, larger animals like kangaroos often congregate around water and other animals like reptiles and other slow ground based animals bury themselves in the dirt to insulate from the fire.

So yes, the fires were bad and animals did die, but I doubt it is anywhere near as bad as what is being sensationally reported.

I never cease to be disgusted by the nonsense that is on the telly these days but, I guess, the simple fact is that, yes, while there are many intelligent, thinking humans around, they are vastly outnumbered by morons who would make vegetables look like vastly superior intellects. If there wasn't a market demand for this garbage that outweighed the demand for intelligent programming it wouldn't be on television.

I am a firm believer that physical laws not only apply to the world around us but also to society and so Entropy is as big a force on society as it is on the life of the universe. I firmly believe that we have seen the peak of our current cycle of civilisation (such as it is) and it's all downhill from here. A couple of hundred years at the very most and the survivors will be collecting twigs to start fires outside their caves.

13 hours ago, Beardie said:

I never cease to be disgusted by the nonsense that is on the telly these days but, I guess, the simple fact is that, yes, while there are many intelligent, thinking humans around, they are vastly outnumbered by morons who would make vegetables look like vastly superior intellects. If there wasn't a market demand for this garbage that outweighed the demand for intelligent programming it wouldn't be on television.

I am a firm believer that physical laws not only apply to the world around us but also to society and so Entropy is as big a force on society as it is on the life of the universe. I firmly believe that we have seen the peak of our current cycle of civilisation (such as it is) and it's all downhill from here. A couple of hundred years at the very most and the survivors will be collecting twigs to start fires outside their caves.

I would agree with you Marty if the future, of the planet, or more specifically Homo Sapiens, was still in the hands of the degenerate "Western democrasy's" but I believe the time of the Europeans is past & it will be the Chinese who will save our species from it's cultural & intellectual nose dive, if anybody can.

At one time I would have agreed with you Dave but now I rather suspect that the Chinese will fall victim to entropy as well. Rules and regulations and high state of order are the sort of social equivalent of a Low Entropy state and it requires a tremendous amount of energy to maintain that state. It is easier to let things slide.

On 1/27/2020 at 4:05 PM, PhoenixII said:

Cheers Pheonix,just bought three DB7's in 1/18 and one might get a respray during the summer when the weather's warm but was looking for white,a problem you solved.....

On 27/01/2020 at 08:03, Vince1159 said:

You google an Aston Martin colour and all you get is sales!....

There's only one colour for Aston Martins. California Sage Green. Anything else is just paint.

2 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

There's only one colour for Aston Martins. California Sage Green. Anything else is just paint.

Plus one on that. :)

Steve.

On 1/27/2020 at 11:44 PM, Beardie said:

I firmly believe that we have seen the peak of our current cycle of civilisation (such as it is) and it's all downhill from here. A couple of hundred years at the very most and the survivors will be collecting twigs to start fires outside their caves.

Couple of hundred years ?  Guess you haven't been keeping up to date on UK energy policy etc-  we'll be back to shivering in the dark and travelling by horse & cart within 50 years the way things are going...

( in case anyone overseas thinks this is exaggeration :

* new houses in UK will NOT be allowed gas central heating by 2025

* internal combustion engined cars to be banned by 2050...  )

I thought I would err on the 'optimistic' side with my estimate. At the current rate it is just as possible that society will decay utterly on a global scale in the next ten to twenty years. I think energy crises are the least of our worries. 

50 minutes ago, Beardie said:

I thought I would err on the 'optimistic' side with my estimate. At the current rate it is just as possible that society will decay utterly on a global scale in the next ten to twenty years. I think energy crises are the least of our worries. 

Yep, it's the roaming bands of feral Welsh teenagers in 20 years time that I worry about...  :)

44 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Yep, it's the roaming bands of feral Welsh teenagers in 20 years time that I worry about...  :)

Never mind, better get in some practice with your longbow.

19 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Recurve bow, simpler to handle, less pull weight and shorter, plus the added bonus of you not going totally raving bonkers by handling Yew!

28 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

What, this one ?

AH64D_Longbow_Apache_-_Duxford_Autumn_Ai