This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

Does anybody give a grump?!!

On 1/4/2020 at 7:04 PM, busnproplinerfan said:

Make a tall cone shaped box, paint it green, put pin holes all over it, tape coloured clear plastic inside on the holes and put a single light bulb in that. :)

Cornwall, always a hotbed of technical innovation, is ahead of you on this one.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4914205/christmas-tree-worst-cornwall-cornetto-residents/

9 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Cornwall, always a hotbed of technical innovation, is ahead of you on this one.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4914205/christmas-tree-worst-cornwall-cornetto-residents/

ahhh, I'm always 2 minutes behind in an idea.

Where are all these damn mosquitoes coming from? No that's not a quote from Hermann Goering, that's me, in my house, tonight as I proceed to kill 40 of the winged devils.  I killed at least 30 last night too, where are they coming from? We have screens on the doors and windows, no stagnant water around, I just don't know how the hell they are getting into the house.

7 minutes ago, Brad said:

Where are all these damn mosquitoes coming from? No that's not a quote from Hermann Goering, that's me, in my house, tonight as I proceed to kill 40 of the winged devils.  I killed at least 30 last night too, where are they coming from? We have screens on the doors and windows, no stagnant water around, I just don't know how the hell they are getting into the house.

Don't leave that key under the mat at the front door ;)

6 hours ago, Brad said:

Surely the more important question is "Did they have 2-stage nacelles ? " ....

Didn't know there were that many flyable Mozzies around still. Any recon versions among them?

10 hours ago, IanHx said:

Surely the more important question is "Did they have 2-stage nacelles ? " ....

Or the retractable refuelling boom...

This is a bit more than a grump. This made me ........ angry! In our village, we have an area where they have various bins for recycling glass, plastics, paper, cardboard, etc. It's on a waste piece of ground next to some grain silos. I went down there this morning to get rid of all of our recycling stuff, and as I pulled alongside the bins, I had to swerve to avoid broken glass. When I got out of the car the extent of the glass became clearer. It was over quite a few square yards and was more than one broken bottle as there was clear glass as well as green glass. The muppet who had kindly left all of this behind had made no attempt to clear up the mess. And we're talking about large pieces of jagged glass which would have ripped my tyres to shreds and cost me at least 400 euros to replace them. Add to that the fact that if any children had stumbled upon this glass, they could have ended up with some serious injuries. I just find it unbelievable how callous and inconsiderate some people can be.

John.

I'm afraid the  situation is becoming worse in rural France. We rarely saw anything on the ground around recycling bins when we arrived, but it's getting quite common now. We have also started to see litter between the central barriers on the A20 recently, not anything like the UK motorways ( my local stretch of the M25 was horrendous ) but it's definitely happening. The locals probably blame the Brits.

John 

Over here there used to be recycling bins all over the island but thanks to idiots flytipping (everything from old printers to sofas) they've been closed and the three large ones that remain now have cctv...Why are people so flamin' selfish they can't be be bothered taking it to the place that accepts it for free!....

Happens here to. My neighborhood is an old one and quite poorer. People from the 'burbs are known to come over here and dump whatever they can in our backlanes and on the street. They have this idea that they don't have enough proper bins. They just overbuy and are just to ignorant to separate their garbage/recyling but will drive across the city to dump here since we have a not so clean area. On the other end, the crew on the recycle truck doesn't pick up after themselves either. Most here also refuse to stop using plastic shopping bags.

Too humid and hot to do any airbrushing. Was also so smokey last night we cancelled cricket training. I went out to get some bread at about 9pm and it looked like The Fog from the movie of the same name, I wondered if some pirate ghosts were going to appear. 

I wasn't too sure quite where to post this as we dont appear to have a "how stupid can you get " thread but this caught my eye and its worth a read as a lesson on how not to rob a bank

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-51154331

Now if you are going to rob a bank at least try to be prepared not to get caught.  If you have a pillow case for a disguise at least remember to cut the eye holes :doh:

He got nearly £2000 and will catch a jail sentence probably 2-3 years minimum as its High Court.  

Add its a scary scenario for staff and customers and all for a measly sum that will end up being  averaged at about £20 a week or less.

Plonker

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

"how stupid can you get "

I remember reading one from America years ago,two blokes robbed a shop/bank,they drive off being chased by the police then run out of fuel after five minutes....

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

I remember reading one from America years ago,two blokes robbed a shop/bank,they drive off being chased by the police then run out of fuel after five minutes....

... and then there was the genius who heard that lemon juice disabled security cameras. There was 5 minutes of footage of him squirting it on his face instead of the lens.....:doh:

Some of them are so stupid, they shouldn't be allowed to go out on their own. Just watch some of the sub 25's on the BBC lunch time show Caught Red Handed. The number of muppets who walk up to a security camera, stare into the lens, and then pull up their hoodies. Or the D.head who smashed his way through a window and cut himself on the broken glass, leaving a very handy DNA sample for the police to find. Or the bright spark who parks his car (yes, his, not a stolen one) outside the shop that he breaks into. He's completely covered his face because he knows that there are CCTV cameras all around, but he hasn't taken into account that the CCVT has clocked his registration number. Priceless!!

John.

24 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

. Or the D.head who smashed his way through a window and cut himself on the broken glass, leaving a very handy DNA sample for the police to find.

John.

John you have reminded me of the last time my old office was broken into. They wore gloves etc but it must have been thirsty work as when they were in the office kitchen they helped themselves to some coke drinks from the fridge swigging from the bottles and leaving the empties on the sink drainer.................:blink:

When I mentioned to the cop that they had helped themselves and not tidied up we both just grinned as he bagged the bottles up. 

Yes they had previous and yes they had been caught by dna profiling before. 

59 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Or the D.head who smashed his way through a window and cut himself on the broken glass,

About thirty yeas ago my dad came home to find his back window smashed and his telly gone. When the police turned up (because those where that days when the police actually investigated crimes :shocked:) they noticed blood on the broken glass… They also noticed a trail of blood….. which…. lead over the back fence….. then over the next fence…. and disappeared inside the back door of the house two doors down – where they found dad's telly.

They managed to convict that master criminal - even though it was Poirot's day off!

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

About thirty yeas ago my dad came home to find his back window smashed and his telly gone. When the police turned up (because those where that days when the police actually investigated crimes :shocked:) they noticed blood on the broken glass… They also noticed a trail of blood….. which…. lead over the back fence….. then over the next fence…. and disappeared inside the back door of the house two doors down – where they found dad's telly.

They managed to convict that master criminal - even though it was Poirot's day off!

We live in a relatively quiet neck of the woods - but have been broken into 3 times in the last 30 years.  The first time the patio door got 'lifted' on a pleasant early Saturday summer evening - watched by the lad next door - who popped his head over the fence to ask - 'what are you doing'.  We were saved that time...

The next was back in the days when we felt no need to lock the front door when we got home from work.  Some joker walked in a few seconds after Madame X and swiped her handbag from the side of the sofa.  It was one she didn't use daily and it was literally weeks before we got a phone call from the police - saying it had been found in a hedge about a mile away & they had traced it to her via a card for an appointment at Toni & Guy - now that was detective work - she didn't even know it was stolen - until it was found :doh:

The best one though was one morning when I got up at about 4am for a meeting in Northampton.  It was the middle of winter & pitch black.  I left the kitchen light off / popped the kettle on and lit a crafty cigarette.  Whilst waiting for the kettle to boil I marvelled at what a crystal clear morning it was - the moors & stars looked simply stunning through the kitchen window.  As I continued to admire the view I noticed the steam from the kettle - drifting 'through' the window - WHAT!!!

The kitchen window had been completely removed!!!  Needless to say it spoiled my day somewhat - but scenes of crime came along - actually got finger prints and caught the beggar.  The ace thing was - I had apparently disturbed him just had he had finished removing the window.  He had fled and tried his luck on the local council estate - where he had been caught and beaten to a pulp by a rather burly guy who was also up early - JUSTICE WAS SERVED THAT MORNING :clap2: 

7 minutes ago, BIG X said:

where he had been caught and beaten to a pulp by a rather burly guy who was also up early

Luv it!!

They should be removed from the gene pool :bobby:

18 hours ago, IanHx said:

... and then there was the genius who heard that lemon juice disabled security cameras. There was 5 minutes of footage of him squirting it on his face instead of the lens.....:doh:

actually better than described....the bloke knew that lemon juice was 'invisible' ink, and thought it would mean the cameras couldn't see him.... some psychology researchers read about this and came up with what is know known as 

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dunning–Kruger_effect&action=edit&section=1

The psychological phenomenon of illusory superiority was identified as a form of cognitive bias in Kruger and Dunning's 1999 study, "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments".[1] 

The identification derived from the cognitive bias evident in the criminal case of McArthur Wheeler, who robbed banks while his face was covered with lemon juice, which he believed would make it invisible to the surveillance cameras. This belief was based on his misunderstanding of the chemical properties of lemon juice as an invisible ink.[2]

Other investigations of the phenomenon, such as "Why People Fail to Recognize Their Own Incompetence" (2003), indicate that much incorrect self-assessment of competence derives from the person's ignorance of a given activity's standards of performance.[3] Dunning and Kruger's research also indicates that training in a task, such as solving a logic puzzle, increases people's ability to accurately evaluate how good they are at it.[4]

In Self-insight: Roadblocks and Detours on the Path to Knowing Thyself (2005), Dunning described the Dunning–Kruger effect as "the anosognosia of everyday life", referring to a neurological condition in which a disabled person either denies or seems unaware of his or her disability. He stated: "If you're incompetent, you can't know you're incompetent ... The skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is."[5][6]

In 2011, David Dunning wrote about his observations that people with substantial, measurable deficits in their knowledge or expertise lack the ability to recognize those deficits and, therefore, despite potentially making error after error, tend to think they are performing competently when they are not: "In short, those who are incompetent, for lack of a better term, should have little insight into their incompetence—an assertion that has come to be known as the Dunning–Kruger effect".[7] In 2014, Dunning and Helzer described how the Dunning–Kruger effect "suggests that poor performers are not in a position to recognize the shortcomings in their performance".[8]

When I first read about this a few years ago it was one of those lightbulb moments.... I'm sure we have all met folks who are like this... 

I seem to recall seeing one on the TV from the USA where the guy made his 'mask' by wrapping his head in silver duct tape and, when he was caught he steadfastly denied involvement despite his head still being largely covered in the tape.

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

They should be removed from the gene pool :bobby:

my last intruder nearly was :lol:

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

In Self-insight: Roadblocks and Detours on the Path to Knowing Thyself (2005), Dunning described the Dunning–Kruger effect as "the anosognosia of everyday life", referring to a neurological condition in which a disabled person either denies or seems unaware of his or her disability. He stated: "If you're incompetent, you can't know you're incompetent ... The skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is."[5][6]

In 2011, David Dunning wrote about his observations that people with substantial, measurable deficits in their knowledge or expertise lack the ability to recognize those deficits and, therefore, despite potentially making error after error, tend to think they are performing competently when they are not: "In short, those who are incompetent, for lack of a better term, should have little insight into their incompetence—an assertion that has come to be known as the Dunning–Kruger effect".[7] In 2014, Dunning and Helzer described how the Dunning–Kruger effect "suggests that poor performers are not in a position to recognize the shortcomings in their performance".[

Also known as being too stupid to realise how stupid you are. Its scary common out there unfortunately.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
spelling