This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

Does anybody give a grump?!!

It's easter, eggs, bunnies, chocolate, shops closed for 3 days (here at least) yet everyone reacts as though they are in some Hollywood blockbuster end of the world dystopian feature film.

Trolleys full to the brim of food they will inevitably throw away, the humanity, bacon, yes even bacon! Bought to ensure they won't run out of food between Friday and Tuesday, even bacon is not safe.  Enough food and water to feed an army, shoving in the aisles, fighting over the last pack of hot crossed buns, people throwing down to make sure they are the ones that escape with the last cream egg!! ... 

o-XMAS-570.jpg?6

And here's me just wishing a world ending meteor would actually come and cleanse the earth, maybe then we could eat our bacon in peace and die of the cancer its given us without someone trying to tear out of my cold dead hands. 

On the read meat/preserved meat will increase the rate of bowl cancer. It is true, to a point. 

If anyone looks at the science report behind the idiotic claims the incidence of bowl cancer increases from 0.009% to 0.011%, based on a sample of about 45,000 people and a number, can't remember how many years. 

There is almost more chance of winning the lottery. 

Lies, damned lies and Statistics springs to mind. 

My Grump of the day, the BBQ. 

The sun comes out and instead of "Management" getting my supper I have to go outside and do the cooking. 

Of course, I'd not properly winterized the BBQ after the last use so it took me an hour or so to make it fit to use. 

I've had enough of this heatwave! 

It just never ends ... 

47599875232_5e2100f9fe_b.jpg

Tactical nitrile gloves, for better airbrush trigger accuracy  ala Cellulose thinners ... I need a sonic cleaner ....

Or chainmail mittens.

Why is everyone suddenly so intent on living longer?

I have always lived  my life  on the basic fact  that whatever  I do, I am going to die of something!  However careful I am about what I eat drink or smoke,  something out there in the world is going to get me. It may be tomorrow, next week, next year, or 20 years in the future,  but it is inevitable so I don't worry about it.  My task is to live my life to the full   to experience as much as I can so I don't waste a minute of what I have got left.  Boy o boy  have I enjoyed my  first 56 years! I  am now looking forward to getting  gloriously old disgracefully!  OK I am slowing down  a mite,  and bits are dropping off here and there but so what?   My future   isn't  about  ignorant busy bodies  who  have decided without my permission to take it  it upon themselves  to tell me how I should live my life.  Believe  me, my future  doesn't include mainlining broccoli washed down with spring water!

My personal hero was a 99 year old lady I used to pick up when I worked as a "Ring and Ride"  driver in Manchester. A daily job was to take her to a day centre in the morning, and take her home  in the evening.   She always sat on the front seat next to the driver.  One morning she was  sat there   brushes out  carefully tidying her make up and getting on the lipstick. when I asked her why she was doing this  she smiled,

"There's a new man coming to  the day centre today!"

That's the attitude to have people, 99 years old and out to trap herself a  new man!  It just gladdened my heart, that's my sort of person.

My personal mantra for   happiness?  Eat pork scratchings  and wash down with copious amounts of ale.  Yes with all this I may pop off tomorrow, but I assure you I will be so happy when I go!

Selwyn

Did you here about the man who died of deafness?  He didn't hear the Truck..............!

When the bloke with the scythe comes after me, he'll have to fight me first. My grandad went at 57, and my first cousin on his side managed 3 months short of 100. Apart from illnesses induced early demise, my close relatives make it into the mid eighties at least. I've got a sizeable stash, let's see which lasts longer! :clif:

Sadly a few pairs of "shredded" socks have been located.

Finding a supplier of good socks at a price which does not require a visit to the bank manger, is nigh on impossible.

On 4/20/2019 at 6:25 AM, Bullbasket said:

The Household Authority sometimes puts odd socks together in my sock drawer, and I always wear them like that. If anyone asks, I always say that I've got another pair just like that at home.

I have become a huge fan of the "double sock" fashion. No, not wearing different coloured socks, but TWO pairs at the same time.

There might be fans of Lindybeige here, who espouses this approach, & I wholeheartedly agree with him. The feet are much less prone to soreness at the end of the day and getting home from work is an even greater pleasure.

One pair of socks worn over another pair. Even the motorcycle boots are warmer in the mornings!

On 4/20/2019 at 10:47 AM, 224 Peter said:

My Grump of the day, the BBQ. 

Of course, I'd not properly winterized the BBQ after the last use so it took me an hour or so to make it fit to use. 

Simple. all you need to do is get the flames working. It sterilises itself after that.

Burn off all the old daggyness and hit it with some new olive oil and you are good to go!

(Applies to gas BBQ's. Anyone using charcoal needs to be sent back into the dark ages...)

13 hours ago, Selwyn said:

I have always lived  my life  on the basic fact  that whatever  I do, I am going to die of something!  However careful I am about what I eat drink or smoke,  something out there in the world is going to get me. It may be tomorrow, next week, next year, or 20 years in the future,  but it is inevitable so I don't worry about it.  My task is to live my life to the full   to experience as much as I can so I don't waste a minute of what I have got left.  Boy o boy  have I enjoyed my  first 56 years! I  am now looking forward to getting  gloriously old disgracefully!  OK I am slowing down  a mite,  and bits are dropping off here and there but so what?   My future   isn't  about  ignorant busy bodies  who  have decided without my permission to take it  it upon themselves  to tell me how I should live my life.  Believe  me, my future  doesn't include mainlining broccoli washed down with spring water!

My personal hero was a 99 year old lady I used to pick up when I worked as a "Ring and Ride"  driver in Manchester. A daily job was to take her to a day centre in the morning, and take her home  in the evening.   She always sat on the front seat next to the driver.  One morning she was  sat there   brushes out  carefully tidying her make up and getting on the lipstick. when I asked her why she was doing this  she smiled,

"There's a new man coming to  the day centre today!"

That's the attitude to have people, 99 years old and out to trap herself a  new man!  It just gladdened my heart, that's my sort of person.

My personal mantra for   happiness?  Eat pork scratchings  and wash down with copious amounts of ale.  Yes with all this I may pop off tomorrow, but I assure you I will be so happy when I go!

Selwyn

Did you here about the man who died of deafness?  He didn't hear the Truck..............!

I share your sentiment exactly, anecdotal of course but I had an English teacher bless her, salt of the earth woman loved her, told us about her grandfather, ate what he want lived his life to the fullest, drank whiskey everyday and smoked cigars like a chimney, brick of a Scotsman, lived to ripe old age of 93.  You never can tell if its the bacon thats gonna take you or a rogue idiot driving a car, or plain and simply the sands of time :)  It's just fun to ruffle the feathers of the snowflake types and watch their little faces scrunch up when you have micro aggressed them somehow.  Taking life so seriously that they take offence at everything.  

Posted (edited)

All this talk of death... 

Live today, because tomorrow you may die. 

As to Extinction Rebellion, they seem to overlook the fact that every species has the right to extinction, homo sapiens is no different. 

The people causing chaos in London are utterly irrelevant, indeed anything the UK does is irrelevant in the context of reducing global pollution. 

I give the species between 100 and 150 years before the planet no longer has to suffer the mess we have made. 

It is time Extinction Rebellion faced up to the realities of the world and stopped acting like spoilt children having a tantrum.

If I was the Home Secretary treat their activities as terrorism and act accordingly. 

Why, on a gorgeous sunny Easter Day, when I've just picked the first asparagus of the year and want to enjoy it, not sit and get more and more grumpy about an activity is so pointless and so disruptive. 

Grrrr. 

Edited by 224 Peter
remove repitition

7 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

All this talk of death... 

Live today, because tomorrow you may die. 

As to Extinction Rebellion, they seem to overlook the fact that every species has the right to extinction, homo sapiens is no different. 

The people causing chaos in London are utterly irrelevant, indeed anything the UK does is irrelevant in the context of reducing global pollution. 

I give the species between 100 and 150 years before the planet no longer has to suffer the mess we have made. 

It is time Extinction Rebellion faced up to the realities of the world and stopped acting like spoilt children having a tantrum.

If I was the Home Secretary treat their activities as terrorism and act accordingly. 

Why, on a gorgeous sunny Easter Day, when I've just picked the first asparagus of the year and want to enjoy it, not sit and get more and more grumpy about an activity is so pointless and so disruptive. 

Grrrr. 

It's the arrogance of these people that amazes me , with their " we have to save the planet" mantras, as far as I can see the planet is in no danger , [ the human race now that's a different matter] . But the planet will carry on long after we're gone, perhaps not quite as we know it but life and the earth will prevail.

9 hours ago, hairystick said:

(Applies to gas BBQ's. Anyone using charcoal needs to be sent back into the dark ages...)

Gas BBQs are for women and children only. It takes a real man to BBQ with charcoal :devil: :jump_fire: :rofl2:

2 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Gas BBQs are for women and children only. It takes a real man to BBQ with charcoal :devil: :jump_fire: :rofl2:

I used our new charcoal bbq for the first time today. Followed all the instructions TO THE LETTER and it would only come up to half the required heat 🤬

Ended up finishing the meat in the oven......

Trevor

1 minute ago, Max Headroom said:

Followed all the instructions TO THE LETTER 

Instructions! Real men don't follow instructions :devil: :jump_fire: :rofl2:

30 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

As to Extinction Rebellion

Their biggest problem is the UK is high on the chart on cutting back on greenhouse gasses,if they really want to make a difference they could go to India/Pakistan or somewhere in the Middle East,the fact they would get arrested and stay arrested instead of getting bail and go back put's them off....

While were talking Extinction Rebellion, just HOW did they get the pink yacht into central London???? :whistle:

7 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

While were talking Extinction Rebellion, just HOW did they get the pink yacht into central London???? :whistle:

Diesel Range Rover probably...

1 hour ago, Ratch said:

Instructions! Real men don't follow instructions :devil: :jump_fire: :rofl2:

I had been using a gas bbq for years, but it was knackered so needed replacement. So as a first time noob what option was there?!

Trevor

23 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

When the bloke with the scythe comes after me, he'll have to fight me first. 

I'm not all that worried about the bloke with the scythe coming after me. After all, he can't be all that bad if he calls his horse "Binky" ...

Trouble is, we are heading for a cashless society. I'm just hoping I still have enough change for the bloke with the boat.

___charon_the_ferryman____by_sangrde-dak

On 4/21/2019 at 9:59 AM, Ratch said:

I used to believe that... then I got wise.:idea:

No faffing about with caveman technologies. I'm here to heat meat then eat, not wait for hours on end for the cow to die of old age. Get him --->:cow6:onto my hotplate then in my tummy!

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:57 PM, Selwyn said:

Wise words.  As are "if you eat sensibly, you won't live any longer - it'll just seem like it!"

17 hours ago, Andrew Jones said:

It's the arrogance of these people that amazes me , with their " we have to save the planet" mantras, as far as I can see the planet is in no danger , [ the human race now that's a different matter] . But the planet will carry on long after we're gone, perhaps not quite as we know it but life and the earth will prevail.

Looking back at what we know of the history of this planet, I couldn't agree with you more. It would appear that every couple of million years or so, some event takes place that, freezes parts of the planet or warms it up. Other events wipe out species. I can just imagine the protests taking place 65 million years ago.

"Look Rex, you've got to stop eating red meat. It's not doing you or the planet any good"

"But Dippy, what else am I supposed to eat, and don't try and get me eating those flipping ferns that you lot munch on"

"If you and those crazy Raptors don't change your eating habits, there'll be no dinos left and we'll be leaving it all to those pesky mammals"

"Yuk! Don't talk to me about mammals. They taste discu.........hold on. What's that bright light up in the sky?
"I don't know but it' getting too damn close for my li..........OH! SHHHHHHHHHHHH!   BOOM.