This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

Does anybody give a grump?!!

This one is actually related to our own forum...  Why oh Why - or WOW as they say in text speech - WHY do people not follow their own topics - several times today I have responded to posts - only to see that the poster isn't actually looking at their own topic...

The only way you will know folk are responding is if you go back to look - or you are mentioned or quoted in a post - so please show a little pride - if you feel it is worth starting a topic - be prepared to respond to it when folk take an interest by responding to the topic... ;) 

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

The only way you will know folk are responding is if you go back to look - or you are mentioned or quoted in a post - so please show a little pride - if you feel it is worth starting a topic - be prepared to respond to it when folk take an interest by responding to the topic... ;) 

You can view topics you've started or contributed to too. I don't follow any topics.

On 9/22/2019 at 1:40 PM, Beardie said:

When the four dimensions we have cover all the things we can imagine them covering, width, depth, height and time how can we truly conceive of further dimensions? Just what would a fifth or sixth dimension be exactly? I can't imagine there is simply any room for more dimensions. 

On that point, I've always pondered the idea of other dimensions existing in the same way as frequencies or bands on a radio. That maybe it's multi layered. Beyond that, my brain starts to hurt.

Steve

@fightersweep I think one of the problems I have is that, conceptually, we think of dimensions as measurable quantities or co-ordinates in space if you will so, if we already have up, down, left, right, forward and backward and also forward and backward in time to describe every move we can imaginably make what other 'dimensions' could there be? I am willing to accept the possibility that other universes exist and that, in them, physics doesn't necessarily conform to the same rules but I find it very hard to conceive of other 'dimensions' to our own universe. 

I do sometimes wonder if the nature of our existence is even weirder than we can possibly imagine. There is something about aspects of our universe like the fact that the multitude of particles exist in the atom, the mesons, gluons, muons, graviton, baryons, quarks etc. etc. and that every one of them has an equal and opposite anti-particle that kind of niggles at my mind and I feel there is an answer to the whole universe in one atom if we can just grasp it. I have this strange image that keeps coming to my mind that I can't quite grasp of our existence being, at the same time, on the inside and outside of a bubble that is instantaneously the primordial atom and our inconceivably huge universe. 

23 hours ago, Rob G said:

Fly spray. I want to grump about fly spray. Or rather, flying insect spray, because it'll kill them all. Except that these days, it doesn't seem to. Once upon a time, you could spray the room and watch the little blighters drop out of the heavens like 109s in the summer of 1940. Not so now. It hardly bothers them at all. Admittedly, we have some pretty tough insects here, but they can't have Bronsoned up so much that insecticides no longer work, surely. Must be a reduction in the killing ability - thanks, bleeding heart do-gooders, I hope the mozzies bite yer bums.

For now, I'll have to go back to one on one stalking, and take them out assassin style.

I have no doubt that the fly sprays we now use are less effective due to environmental friendliness, but I would also suggest that after decades of mass spraying most insects have developed a degree of immunity.

Having said that, I grew up when a Flit gun was the current technology. That stuff was dramatically effective,  but I bet an analysis of its components would make rocket fuel look fairly innocuous.

As an aside, Pam Ayres has a great little ditty about the legendary Flit gun, which for the uninitiated was a device like a bicycle pump with a tin can soldered to the sharp end.

Apart from anything else, insecticides these days can't contain DDT - a most effective bug killer, but pretty nasty stuff and completely non-specific. It would kill insects but also had a sometimes fairly drastic effect on other species, including humans. There have been various substitutes, none of which have been any more effective. Their only redeeming feature is that they tend to be less toxic for non-target species.

We had the Flit gun here, although we usually just called it "the fly spray". The one I most remember was by Mortein, a company whose slogan was "When you're on a good thing, stick to it!", usually accompanied by a cartoon of a dog with a huge mozzie-like bug attached.

On 9/29/2019 at 2:06 AM, Beardie said:

Ah the mossie, I am very glad we don't have them here. The midgie is extremely irritating but I think I would choose it as the lesser of evils. I was actually reading a thing the other day that said that the mossie with all the diseases it transports is the biggest killer of humanity on the planet. Even way worse than ourselves.

Ah the Highland Midge. Trouble is they always turn up with 1000s of their mates.... :)

On 9/28/2019 at 9:10 PM, Selwyn said:

The issue I have with the "Big Bang Theory" is that some one is telling me that once upon a time there was absolutely nothing,  and then it blew up.

Selwyn

Not that hard to believe, happens all the time in politics :)

There's always the "universe is a hernia in a pan-dimensional space whale" theory.  Once there was nothing. Then a rupture happens between dimensions and the universe spurts into the void before the wound heals up.

Darn, which mushrooms did they put on the pizza last night ? :)

So it we’re talking of pan dimensional hernias*, with ‘stuff’ coming through it, that stuff in turn came from somewhere....

Trevor

*that’s science that is

6 hours ago, Kiwidave4 said:

but I would also suggest that after decades of mass spraying most insects have developed a degree of immunity.

Yes,you just have to look at bugs that have become resistant to antibiotics in humans because of over use.....

7 hours ago, Kiwidave4 said:

Having said that, I grew up when a Flit gun was the current technology. That stuff was dramatically effective,  but I bet an analysis of its components would make rocket fuel look fairly innocuous.

As an aside, Pam Ayres has a great little ditty about the legendary Flit gun, which for the uninitiated was a device like a bicycle pump with a tin can soldered to the sharp end.

I remember those well, but sadly, the DDT was not a pleasant substance. Today, I mostly use a very effective, environmentally safe alternative, namely a rolled up newspaper. It does leave a nasty mess on the window though.🦟

1 minute ago, Bullbasket said:

I remember those well, but sadly, the DDT was not a pleasant substance. Today, I mostly use a very effective, environmentally safe alternative, namely a rolled up newspaper. It does leave a nasty mess on the window though.🦟

These days my failing eyesight precludes use of the rolled up newspaper. Unless I have the right glasses to hand I have trouble seeing a fly, especially when its flying. Chasing a buzzing bluebottle by ear and swinging wildly at what I think is the source of the noise may amuse any onlookers but its not an effective way to kill the beast.

My grump of the day.My 'smart' phone indicates that I'm in Kegworth,nr Loughborough,when I am actually in Burbage,nr Hinckley,a distance of approx. 25 miles.Its a good job I'm now retired from truck driving otherwise the phone would be imploding on itself.

As to the matter of other dimensions etc,isn't the answer 42?

I'll get my coat...………….

Dave.

I was in Atherston and Hinckley today. I managed to swerve around Burbage and reached the M69 safely.

I have a very old phone, a Motorola razor. It knows it's in my pocket.

Last week I was notified of a package that should have been delivered on Friday. I suddenly got an email (at the delivery time) saying they tried to deliver - a lie, my modelling room overlooks my street and I can easily see if a van had arrived, it didn't - so I contacted them and they said the driver had tried to deliver to the wrong address, and would try to get back later. Yeah right - these guys don't have time to rectify cockups, so back to the depot it went. Sywell as it happens - just the other side of town. Yesterday a DPD van pulled up and delivered to a neighbour and half an hour later another DPD van delivered my package. Surely it would have been more efficient to put my package and my neighbour's on the same van!

Funny that, they get on mine too and, unfortunately, they seem to make up an ever increasing number of the population. Of course, in scientific terms I might be wrong and they are all brilliant and the future of humanity and it's me that's the moron but, if that's the case, can someone direct me to the Suicide Booths, either that or get that darned interstellar transport to finally come for me. I'm bored, fed up and I wanna go back to my own planet!

7 hours ago, Beardie said:

I'm bored, fed up and I wanna go back to my own planet!

Nanu nanu!

12 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Morons get on my nerves......

Unfortunately they are on a self improvement cycle. As soon as you define one, a better one comes along. I say this with the hindsight of years developing military equipment. If you dare to make something idiot proof, they will always find a better idiot... (finally confirmed after spending years making stuff single function, single button operation. They still managed to break it).

Today's grump is....er...hang on a mo.....it'll come to me soon....oh yes. Failing memory!. I know that it comes to all of us with old age, but it is damned annoying. I've lost count of the number of times that I've mountaineered my way upstairs, only to forget what I went up there for. But the really annoying part is that once I get to the bottom of the stairs again, Bingo! I remember. I'm going to end up the fittest dementia sufferer in the care home.:clif:

John (I think).

I must be feeling particularly grumpy today, as I thought of another, and this isn't funny. I don't know if you're aware of it, but Tate and Lyle have been monkeying around with their bags of sugar for a while now. I take one level spoon of sugar in tea, but when I stay at my brother's or sister's in Blighty, the tea tastes as though sugar has been added by the shovel. It's only because in a moment of sheer boredom I read the packet, and in small print they state that in an effort to reduce sugar intake, they have added artificial sweetener to the cane sugar. No consultation with the paying public, just that's what we're doing! Who appointed them as sugar police? Besides which, I hate anything which has artificial sweeteners it it. I can't stand the after taste. It makes you wonder what else is being added to our food without our knowing. If I want to reduce my sugar intake, it will be because I've decided so, not because some multi million pound corporation thinks that I should. What next? Bromide in our tea?

John.