This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

Does anybody give a grump?!!

I've got one of them too but she comes with an additional feature -

I bring up the maps on my car's SatNav so that I can see where I am aiming to go (without using any SatNav funtions) and I will get to a particularly tricky and complex part of a journey where I have never been before, stop at a junction, lights etc. and go to look at what's up ahead on the map so I know what to expect only to find that the co-pilot has decided to explore the map for herself so is currently studying interesting places to visit on the other side of the country and I have to go back to relying on the old 'ready reckoner' in my head to figure out roughly the direction I need to go. 

27 minutes ago, Beardie said:

I bring up the maps on my car's SatNav so that I can see where I am aiming to go (without using any SatNav funtions) and I will get to a particularly tricky and complex part of a journey where I have never been before, stop at a junction, lights etc. and go to look at what's up ahead on the map so I know what to expect only to find that the co-pilot has decided to explore the map for herself so is currently studying interesting places to visit on the other side of the country and I have to go back to relying on the old 'ready reckoner' in my head to figure out roughly the direction I need to go. 

Sounds like she needs either her own satnav, or a smartphone with Google Earth on it... Or maybe a stern talking to (good luck with that!)

Ah but the thing is, like most co-pilots I have ever known (of any sex) she is "only trying to help".

55 minutes ago, Beardie said:

I hope you speak to her to express, very strongly, your displeasure at her interfering with your equipment.

Edited by spaddad

Reminds me of the story of the new aircraft design with a Doberman in the cockpit.  The job of the dog was to bite the co-pilot if s/he tried to touch anything.  Grump on 😤.

Nah Dave, I want to keep on living for the moment and she is mean when she's mad.

I’ve been down so many single track roads (with a right turn back onto the main road, usually) and rat runs with speed bumps using a Tom Tom that I gave up (actually threw it into the back of the car, when it said “in 500 yards...) and used google maps. Same problem with the stupid shortcuts, but it did use some different ones. Talking to friends, they suggested  Waze (smartphone app). So far, I haven’t argued with it or screamed in disbelief . It works, tells you about jams ( and how long you’ll be in them), and doesn’t seem to be intent on showing you parts of the country tha you never ever thought you’d see. Worth a try. Oh and it’s free...

Thanks Jo, I just downloaded it & if nothing else, it seems quicker to load & react on my phone, I'll take it for a drive tomorrow. :)

Steve.

7 hours ago, Beardie said:

Nah Dave, I want to keep on living for the moment and she is mean when she's mad.

I hear you bro.

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Thanks Jo, I just downloaded it & if nothing else, it seems quicker to load & react on my phone, I'll take it for a drive tomorrow. :)

Steve.

This was in the UK, Steve, haven't tried it in Godzone yet....

35 minutes ago, Jo NZ said:

This was in the UK, Steve, haven't tried it in Godzone yet....

I'm happy to be a guinea pig, I do find google maps hopeless, lag & lock up my phone at the drop of a hat.

Steve.

Well the rain woke me up this morning at 03:45. The alarm is set for 04:25 anyway so I might as well be on here.

And, the new satnav got charged up yesterday and I had a quick play last night. Very impressive.

I'll have a go with it today. Don't really need it as we're off to Boston (again) but, let's see how it performs.

18 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Well the rain woke me up this morning at 03:45. The alarm is set for 04:25 anyway so I might as well be on here.

And, the new satnav got charged up yesterday and I had a quick play last night. Very impressive.

I'll have a go with it today. Don't really need it as we're off to Boston (again) but, let's see how it performs.

So you sitting with the Owl then.

You really got that much rain, it's just slightly damp here.

Edited by spaddad

On 9/22/2019 at 1:40 PM, Beardie said:

OK my grump today is totally 'out there' and so can not, possibly upset anyone except a scientist and it is frustration that I can't find the answers to the universe or even fully wrap my head around what we actually know!

An example: 

The most popular theory for the start of the universe is the Big Bang. As Lemaitre theorised we can run the movement of the universe in reverse to see where ours, and all the other galaxies are moving away from so we know that we are all moving out from an origin point where the big bang (which wasn't big and didn't bang) happened but, though we can see way back into the past using telescopes we will never see the origin point because the universe has no centre and the big bang (which didn't go bang and wasn't big) happened everywhere and no-where. 

Think about that, it gives you a massive headache

Another example:

When the four dimensions we have cover all the things we can imagine them covering, width, depth, height and time how can we truly conceive of further dimensions? Just what would a fifth or sixth dimension be exactly? I can't imagine there is simply any room for more dimensions. 

Another example:

We are told that atoms are made of protons, neutrons and electrons but that's not all that is in there. Those teeny tiny little articles then turn out to be full of further multitudes of tiny little particles that we sort of know are there or, at least theorise must exist.  Will this go on forever? Will we eventually discover that every atom is a tiny (on our scale anyway) universe of it's own? How can the universe exist on such an enormous and minute scale at the same time? 

A final Example: 

This one has been with me as a puzzle since I was a very young child - If there was no space before the big bang then what did everything move into at the moment of the big bang and, consequently, as space is ever expanding, where does the real estate it is expanding into come from? Is the universe infinite and does it have an end? Science typically says that, if we get the answer that something is infinite it means the maths are wrong or we are missing something so, by that tenet, the universe must have edges but, if the universe contains everything and there was nothing before it happened then what would be outside those edges? 

The issue I have with the "Big Bang Theory" is that some one is telling me that once upon a time there was absolutely nothing,  and then it blew up.

Selwyn

Indeed the idea that everything came from nothing or, at least, something even smaller than a single atom, the 'Primordial atom' as it is known is so very hard to imagine let alone believe. Our minds are not designed to cope with these concepts. What came before the Big Bang? Who flicked the switch? How can anything happen without an action to set the ball rolling? How can there be a time when time and space didn't exist? 

The one I particularly find 'tickly' is just how fragile our world is. We talk about the 'climate crisis' but this universe has the power to wipe us out without leaving a trace in the blink of an eye and we wouldn't even see it coming. 

A gamma ray burst could be heading our way across the universe from many light years away and we won't even know it until it's too late as it will be travelling at, well, the speed of light and, if it's powerful enough the whole surface of the planet could be scraped clean of everything. Alternatively the Sun could throw a serious wobbler and send out a major blast and we would know about it eight minutes after it happened as, once again, it will be travelling at the speed of light and will wreck us puny little humans and our planet.

It is truly incredible the power whizzing about this universe all the time and even beginning to study it you find out just how infinitesimally small and insignificant our planet is let alone our species. The human mind isn't capable of conceiving just how enormous this universe is and, if it is indeed one of many the scale would be just impossible. We are but stardust existing in a blink of our Galaxies eye and dependent on an incredibly fine balance for our very existence. 

On 22/09/2019 at 13:40, Beardie said:

OK my grump today is totally 'out there' and so can not, possibly upset anyone except a scientist and it is frustration that I can't find the answers to the universe or even fully wrap my head around what we actually know!

An example: 

The most popular theory for the start of the universe is the Big Bang. As Lemaitre theorised we can run the movement of the universe in reverse to see where ours, and all the other galaxies are moving away from so we know that we are all moving out from an origin point where the big bang (which wasn't big and didn't bang) happened but, though we can see way back into the past using telescopes we will never see the origin point because the universe has no centre and the big bang (which didn't go bang and wasn't big) happened everywhere and no-where. 

Think about that, it gives you a massive headache

Another example:

When the four dimensions we have cover all the things we can imagine them covering, width, depth, height and time how can we truly conceive of further dimensions? Just what would a fifth or sixth dimension be exactly? I can't imagine there is simply any room for more dimensions. 

we can't, but for an example of this, there is a novel/mathematical book book, Flatland, which explores a 2-D universe encountering a 3-D universe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland

The story describes a two-dimensional world occupied by geometric figures, whereof women are simple line-segments, while men are polygons with various numbers of sides. The narrator is a square, a member of the caste of gentlemen and professionals, who guides the readers through some of the implications of life in two dimensions. The first half of the story goes through the practicalities of existing in a two-dimensional universe as well as a history leading up to the year 1999 on the eve of the 3rd Millennium.

On New Year's Eve, the Square dreams about a visit to a one-dimensional world (Lineland) inhabited by "lustrous points". These points are unable to see the Square as anything other than a set of points on a line. Thus, the Square attempts to convince the realm's monarch of a second dimension; but is unable to do so. In the end, the monarch of Lineland tries to kill A Square rather than tolerate his nonsense any further.

Following this vision, he is himself visited by a three-dimensional sphere. Similar to the "points" in Lineland, the Square is unable to see the sphere as anything other than a circle. The Sphere then levitates up and down through the Flatland, allowing Square to see the circle expand and retract. The Square is not fully convinced until he sees Spaceland (a tridimensional world) for himself. This Sphere visits Flatland at the turn of each millennium to introduce a new apostle to the idea of a third dimension in the hope of eventually educating the population of Flatland. 

I know of Flatand from this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fourth-Dimension-Guided-Higher-Universes/dp/0395393884

That I was lent by a friend who did maths at University.  

also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wVRfxCvTuE

Transcript - The possibility of dimensions of space beyond the three that we know about is an idea that it cropped up in the early part of the twentieth century and it has been with us ever since. Even our modern approach to unified theory, something called string theory, evokes the possibility of more dimensions than the three that we experience, right.

So we all know about left-right, back-forth and up-down, right. Those are the three dimensions that are all around us. We all move through them freely in day to day life. These other dimensions suggested by theoretical considerations. There is no experimental evidence for any of what I’m about to tell you.

But the theoretical considerations suggest that in addition to left-right, back-forth and up-down there may be other spatial dimensions.

It’s hard to picture like where could they be? There doesn’t seem to be any room left and that’s really the point. They are new places that our experience doesn’t allow us to access directly but according to this theoretical ideas might be there.

I have a little analogy that helps to understand this. Think of a garden hose is one that we love to use. So think about a garden hose that’s nice and long. Now from far away the garden hose is going to look one dimensional because that’s the only part that you have the visual acuity to see because the circular part is just too small for your feeble eyes to detect. But then if you take a pair of binoculars from a faraway vantage point now you see that there is a circular dimension, a circular part that wraps around the garden hose that you missed when you just used your feeble senses. So dimensions can be big, obvious and easy to see or they can be curled up and tiny, much more difficult to detect. Now the garden hose is an object in our universe. But this idea might apply to space itself, right. So it could be that left-right, back-forth and up-down are the big easy to see dimensions like the horizontal extent of the garden hose. But just as the hose has a curled up dimension, maybe space itself has curled up dimensions all around us, just curled up to such a fantastically small size that we can’t see them with our eyes. We can’t see them even with today’s most powerful microscopes. But the possibility according to the mathematics well motivated by these attempts of realizing Einstein’s dream of unified theory, the math suggests this as a real possibility that there may be more dimensions than the ones that we directly experience.

On 22/09/2019 at 13:40, Beardie said:

Another example:

We are told that atoms are made of protons, neutrons and electrons but that's not all that is in there. Those teeny tiny little articles then turn out to be full of further multitudes of tiny little particles that we sort of know are there or, at least theorise must exist.  Will this go on forever? Will we eventually discover that every atom is a tiny (on our scale anyway) universe of it's own? How can the universe exist on such an enormous and minute scale at the same time? 

A final Example: 

This one has been with me as a puzzle since I was a very young child - If there was no space before the big bang then what did everything move into at the moment of the big bang and, consequently, as space is ever expanding, where does the real estate it is expanding into come from? Is the universe infinite and does it have an end? Science typically says that, if we get the answer that something is infinite it means the maths are wrong or we are missing something so, by that tenet, the universe must have edges but, if the universe contains everything and there was nothing before it happened then what would be outside those edges? 

This also ties in with Selwyn's comment about 'nothing'

The question "Why is there something rather than nothing?" has been asked for millennia by people who argue for a creator of our universe. Taking a trip back to the beginning of the beginning and the end of the end—and reviewing the remarkable developments in cosmology and particle physics over the past 40 years that have revolutionized our picture of the universe—Lawrence M. Krauss explores the discoveries that have revolutionized our understanding of both nothing and something. It has become clear that not only can our universe naturally arise from nothing, without supernatural shenanigans, but that it probably did.

A talk here by Lawrence Krauss, . I have his book " A Universe from Nothing"  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwzbU0bGOdc&t=793s

I saw him talk, not watched this one though, but I presume it covers this.    In short "nothing" is not actually "nothing"

Crickey.... off topic... quick grump... the weather eh...    why didn't they get someone who knows about the subject when they designed that kit....erm, In my day that was always allowed/never happened...  

Hi Troy, yes indeed there is an argument for there being nothing before but the problem, and the real headache, is that we can't definitively prove it and we, puny humans base all our concepts on our own experience so it's very difficult to conceive of alternatives. For example, your two dimensional universe, if it contains beings then we KNOW from our own experience that all beings require sustenance and material to convert into energy but, in a two dimensional universe, there is no way to have an organism that can absorb 'food' as a digestive tract with an input and output would cut a two dimensional being in half. 

Then, of course, we have science itself.... We have a set of physical principles that have been tested and tested and seem to prove things about the nature of our world but, and it's a big but, while we believe that those principles apply all over the known universe as observations seem to prove that, those principles are not believed to have applied in the early universe (before matter came into existence) and came about due to a 'phase shift' and the worrying thing is that, although we have no idea of a mechanism that would bring it about, there is always a possibility that something could trigger another phase shift at any moment in the life of the Universe and all those rules and properties that we rely on for our very existence could change and BANG! no human race, probably not even any galaxies or universe that we would recognise.

In some ways it is the absolute and sheer absurdity of the Universe that makes me suspect there is a God behind it all. Only a sentient being could create such a messy whacked out scene man! Of course it can be said that the Universe is the way it is because we exist as, if it was any different, then we wouldn't exist. 

It seems to me that much of the reason why we have managed to evolve and develop is simply because, in the Universe's time frame our planets growth from nothing to life to us is but a fraction of a blink of it's eye. 

Oh of course then we have the transition from organic chemistry to life. There are theories but all seem to depend on a degree of mysterious magic or voodoo to explain that transition. The idea that somehow some naturally occurring amino acids came together and just happened to resemble a primitive cell because it was round and had something in the middle and then this suddenly burst into 'life' except of course we haven't even been able to truly define what life actually is.

@stevehnz Well I guess you are absolutely right. The universe is made from absolutely nothing so perhaps we should move along as there is nothing to see here 😀

Fly spray. I want to grump about fly spray. Or rather, flying insect spray, because it'll kill them all. Except that these days, it doesn't seem to. Once upon a time, you could spray the room and watch the little blighters drop out of the heavens like 109s in the summer of 1940. Not so now. It hardly bothers them at all. Admittedly, we have some pretty tough insects here, but they can't have Bronsoned up so much that insecticides no longer work, surely. Must be a reduction in the killing ability - thanks, bleeding heart do-gooders, I hope the mozzies bite yer bums.

For now, I'll have to go back to one on one stalking, and take them out assassin style.

My old grandad used to pick 'em off with rubber bands. He was an ace shot. Said he had learned how during the quiet times on the North African front. 

It's not so much the flies, as annoying as they are. It's not even the cockroaches, which have at least the virtue of being interesting creatures, despite their many failings. It's the mosquitoes. Of all the many things that scuttle, fly, drop from trees and crawl up your trouser legs in this country, they're the only ones that I really hate. D. H. Lawrence said it best

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/47359/the-mosquito

Ah the mossie, I am very glad we don't have them here. The midgie is extremely irritating but I think I would choose it as the lesser of evils. I was actually reading a thing the other day that said that the mossie with all the diseases it transports is the biggest killer of humanity on the planet. Even way worse than ourselves.

Perhaps the manufacturers of the weakened insect sprays should change the slogans that they put on the can from "Kills them stone dead" to "Will give them a nasty attack of asthma".

51 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Perhaps the manufacturers of the weakened insect sprays should change the slogans that they put on the can from "Kills them stone dead" to "Will give them a nasty attack of asthma".

Reminds me of the pensioner staying with his son.

"Son do you have a newspaper?"

"A newspaper? Dad this is the 21 century we now have a tablet for that sort of thing."

Later on the son asks,  "How did you get on with the tablet?"

" I was surprised. It was really good, I tell you that fly did not stand a chance!"

Selwyn