This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

Does anybody give a grump?!!

19 minutes ago, Beardie said:

I hate not having all the answers, it drives me nuts!

I'm surprised it takes that much.

I find 'nuts' much easier to achieve.

15 minutes ago, Beardie said:

I hate not having all the answers, it drives me nuts!

@Beardie if you haven't already read it, I found Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" did a fair job of demystifying some of the mysteries of the universe. Of course some are beyond that or have since (2004) been remystified. :)

Steve.

3 hours ago, Beardie said:

OK my grump today is totally 'out there' and so can not, possibly upset anyone except a scientist and it is frustration that I can't find the answers to the universe or even fully wrap my head around what we actually know!

:nerd: Well, I suppose I could start by saying that space does not actually exist and what we think of as space is just a measurement between objects.

Have you heard of the beer foam universe theory?

Think of the tiny bubble appearing at the bottom of a glass of beer as our universe. Where was it before it first appeared and where will it be when it finally bursts?

Past the expanding edge of what we call our universe may very well be other bubbles of other universes.

Probably thought up by a bunch of drunken astrophysicists in a pub. 

Might be right up your alley!  :drink::cheers:

As the famous Ephebian philosopher Didactylos once said "Things just happen, what the hell."

Well that is similar to my own 'bubble in a glass of Coke' theory @Tzulscha  but, same as for the glass of Coke, whose is the beer?

I have read and understand the work of a lot of the folks doing the work or who have been working at the coal face but I think that even they just simply don't know most of the answers. String theory, quantum physics, relativity all 'seem' to explain things are all trying to explain the universe but none have even come close to the 'theory of everything'. Delve into particle physics, study the spin, Quatum Chromo dynamics, alphatomega(ons) etc. etc. and it will drive you utterly Nuts and Bananas.

Marty, when you have worked out this humungous theory, can you go on and explain how a woman's mind works?

6 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Marty, when you have worked out this humungous theory, can you go on and explain how a woman's mind works?

4bo54opz1lx_7-mfr37_FXfbcaRwq1RN_R9UNTN2

@bentwaters81tfw Now you are just being ridiculous! I wouldn't even attempt to begin to fathom that one out although I do believe that women conform somewhat to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and, whatever you think they will want, do, expect will be unlikely to be what they will want, do, expect. 

22 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

explain how a woman's mind works?

Differently.

1 hour ago, Tzulscha said:

As the famous Ephebian philosopher Didactylos once said "Things just happen, what the hell."

Or to put it another way 'C'est la vie'....

4 hours ago, IanHx said:

Imagine that our universe as we know it is a page in a book.  5th dimension would be the book.  Beyond that...  our flat page-bound existence cannot easily imagine.  But in one of these multiverses I've finally got round to building a Spitfire.

You are Prof. Brian Cox and I claim my £5....

On 9/7/2019 at 4:21 PM, Max Headroom said:

I’ve got a grump.......

OUR LOCAL GARDEN CENTRE IS SELLING CHRISTMAS THEMED STUFF WHERE THE BBQ EQUIPMENT WAS LAST WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 

Holidays are coming, holidays are coming

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

...and get her to explain the offside rule.

10 hours ago, depressed lemur said:

You can get advent calendars in a certain supermarket today.

It must be Christmas :yahoo:

This year we have got an Eton advent calendar. The doors all get opened by one of my fathers contacts.

13 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

...and get her to explain the offside rule.

Noooooo! John, my missus can, and the new handball rule!

If you want to hear a diatribe, just mention VAR......:rant: :boom: Me? FAR more interest in either watching paint dry or getting into a deep and meaningful discussion about........about the true colour value of.....and YES, I'm going to throw the grenade, Olive Drab :wicked:

25 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Me? FAR more interest in either watching paint dry or getting into a deep and meaningful discussion about........about the true colour value of.....and YES, I'm going to throw the grenade, Olive Drab

Yes, but........which one, British or American?

:hmmm:

28 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Yes, but........which one, British or American?

.....tell you what John, let's alternate!

Paul

Sat Nav's anyone? Just over four years ago I bought a base model Tomtom for my job. It's been slightly messing about after the last few updates.

Going slow, losing my position etc. Yesterday I tried updating it again. At about seventy odd percent and after 45 minutes it declared the update corrupted.

Now it says it has no maps. I've tried all sorts, three hours yesterday and over that today. Still rubbish, despite multiple downloads, clearing the cache etc.

So, just ordered a Winston from the big river for 58 quid, delivered tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

In the meantime I have a borrowed one for Notts/Derby tomorrow. An essential bit of kit considering how much we get around the country.

@Pete in Lincs Given your occupation, do you have one that avoids low bridges, narrow roads etc? We’ve all seen pics of lorries impossibly lodged in something natural and immovable.

Trevor

I can't stand SatNav even though I have it built into my car and would rather use a map and my sense of direction, at least those don't have an annoying voice.

Oh and that's another mind bender right there! Time moves at different speeds due to gravity so time goes faster on a satellite above the Earth where the gravity is lower than it is on the surface of the Earth! If they didn't compensate for the effect of gravity on time your SatNav would go out of whack in no time.

Whenever travelling south on the M6 we use the M6 Toll to avoid Birmingham traffic. Our sat nav doesn’t like this and recommends turning off at every exit as we approach. Funnily enough, once we ignore it going back north, it shrugs and plays ball.

Technology eh?!

Trevor

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Sat Nav's anyone? Just over four years ago I bought a base model Tomtom for my job. It's been slightly messing about after the last few updates.

Going slow, losing my position etc. Yesterday I tried updating it again. At about seventy odd percent and after 45 minutes it declared the update corrupted.

Now it says it has no maps. I've tried all sorts, three hours yesterday and over that today. Still rubbish, despite multiple downloads, clearing the cache etc.

So, just ordered a Winston from the big river for 58 quid, delivered tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

In the meantime I have a borrowed one for Notts/Derby tomorrow. An essential bit of kit considering how much we get around the country.

Ola Pete in Lincs,

Sat navs  are a pain in the rrrrs. I bought a Snooper specially for trucks, it was about £260  & was a very useful bit of kit but I trusted it as far as I could throw the lorry.  Like the British armed forces I used it but didn't rely on it 100%. Navigation skills should still be acquired & honed. I realise you probably know your way around but a sat nav deffo eases the stress levels when engaged on a time sensitive multi drop in unknown territory, or road works/RTI's conspire to screw with your route. But they are still damn skittish chaps & need to be watched all the time. Despite the fact that it was specifically designed for trucks, (you could set the height,length & weight limits) it still tried to send you under or over unsuitable bridges or down impossibly restricted country lanes & it's most annoying feature, to me at least, was it's tendency to argue with you. You could set it to give you the quickest or shortest route or to miss out certain roads/motorways/tolls which was fine until you came upon a diversion for instance whereupon it would try to get you to go back onto the route that it had chosen for you & thus comply with the prime directive & would keep doing so until you either knew you were beyond the problem & complied or it gave up & started to re-calculate your route. I would have said get the most expensive one you can bear to buy but as you've already gone & done it I won't, but should this one fail I can recommend Snoopers. Although designed primarily for HGV's they are also configurable for cars & being professional bits of kit are pretty durable.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

This is a regular thing that has happened with my TOMTOM go 5000.

It's a pain, but it is actually easy to sort out - difficult to explain but easy to sort.

Goolge search "TOMTOM update corrupted maps" with your model version and you should find the instructions to reset the device, and allow you to reinstall the maps.

I've done it a number of times over the last few years - Nowadays with the size of the internal maps, also have a micro-SD card installed as well!

The latest TOMTOM update has junked everybody's kit. Wait for them to sort it. I have an old TOMTOM one, and they won't support it anymore. Just want me to buy a new one. Lucky I can read a map.

The only navigation aid I have is the wife, - reads road signs that apparently I cant see, doesn't always pick the best route, and only understands one voice response - "Yes dear".