This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

Does anybody give a grump?!!

Mine updated t'other week and it hasn't been the same since. Just when I get used to how everything works some bright spark comes along and messes things up to earn their crust by making 'improvements'. I shop online with ASDA and they 'improved' their website recently so that, if the price of an item has changed before you go to the 'checkout' it gets taken off your shopping list and so, if you don't notice and reload them into your basket at the new price and checkout you will be surprised, like we were, to discover a number of items no longer in your delivery.

17 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

The latest update from Microsoft!! I'd been avoiding it for a couple of weeks, but I finally gave in this morning and downloaded it. I've had some long, slow updates in the past, but this one really took the biscuit.....three and a quarter hours.

I honestly don't understand why it takes that long, even on an old computer. I gave up on Microsoft a few years ago and now use Linux Mint. With that operating system you choose when you apply updates and although I often forget and don't do them for months, the longest system update so far has been about twenty minutes. Normally it's about ten minutes.

If I were to say how much more I like Linux than Windows, I'd be typing for the rest of the day – it's head and shoulders more pleasant. And it's free, as is most (and possibly all) of the software you will ever need.

On 9/20/2019 at 5:38 PM, 3DStewart said:

Personally I think this whole thread is a disgrace and a stain on Britmodeller and it's getting worse with time.  I hope Mike pulls it soon.

You don't have to read it. I think it's a disgrace that you can launch such a vitriolic attack on us & we can't really reply in the way we would like as that could possibly lead to being banned from the site, something you don't have to worry about as there is a bias towards your point of view built into the site. The people who contribute and/or read the thread on a regular basis obviously don't share your sense of outrage and if it wasn't a valid platform it would have died out naturally due to apathy. However that is not the case, it is still a vibrant well supported thread currently on page 22 of it's 4th, 5th or maybe even 6th incarnation.  I haven't carried out any meaningful analysis but I think I am on fairly safe ground when I say this thread & it's predecessors are amongst the most popular on the site & go a long way towards making this site the go to site for a lot of modellers, even if members don't contribute I think a lot of them still read the thread.  The intent of the thread is, & always has been, made obvious by the title current at the time so people can avoid it if they are of the optimistic happy clappy type disposition. If you don't like us, leave us alone. I/we have no interest in deliberately upsetting you or interfering in any threads you support, as I said at the start you don't have to read it.

Edited by spaddad

20 hours ago, Beardie said:

I would like to pose a question to all on this thread.... are we, by our willingness to partake of the grump threads a disgrace and stain on the good name of Britmodeller and should we be removed forthwith by management?

Absolutely!

4 hours ago, 3DStewart said:

Saying it's my problem if I'm annoyed at people behaving badly in public is a ridiculous defence.  Britmodeller isn't a private club, it's an international market square for model making, so if you're in a public place flicking the vees and sneering at things that are important to me (and others) than expect some reaction.  If this thread was only about life's minor irritations with a bit of humour thrown in, then it might not be my cup of tea, but I would pass quietly by.  But it's not. It's charged off into matters that concern how society orders itself and what it should prioritise in the future (i.e. politics) so it's taken on a very different form and is doing it in what seems to me a negative way that gives a misleading impression about the community of modelmakers. In short. it's a bad advert for the hobby. That's why I think it should be shut down.

You should relax. It probably will get shut down now that you have launched your crusade. That's what happens, the thread goes along nicely for, let's say, 22 pages without any hoo ha, then along comes an individual with a bee in his bonnet pontificating on what should & shouldn't be allowed & either provokes a regular to respond in an inappropriate way or ends up doing so himself so that the staff feel there is no other course of action than to shut the thread down or ban the thread member trying to defend our thread. Myself I would prefer that action be taken against the interloper responsible for raising everyones blood pressure but I think we all know that's not going to happen. The often repeated argument that it's a modelling site & our content is not relevant as well as being degenerate is a specious one as we are posting in the general chat section & our chat is very general therefore fulfilling the prime directive to chat generally.

Edited by spaddad

On 07/09/2019 at 16:21, Max Headroom said:

I’ve got a grump.......

OUR LOCAL GARDEN CENTRE IS SELLING CHRISTMAS THEMED STUFF WHERE THE BBQ EQUIPMENT WAS LAST WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬 

That'll be Webbs, then?

Morrisons are selling mince pies - I've seen advent calendars in several shops, and Tesco, Sainsbury and Morrisons are are selling Christmas tubs of Quality Street and Roses chocolates, all mixed in with Halloween stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cadbury creme eggs are in sale now for Easter (you can still get hot cross buns with your mince pies in morrisons)

I may have pointed out before I do not believe Christmas should start in the shops until 24th November.

Edited by Whofan

How hard is to not talk about the dreaded P word? I’m personally very opinionated on it yet have zero trouble keeping silent  on here. Anyway I’m here to moan about gravity i swear it’s manefestinf strangly of late around me, how many tools, models, sandpaper, my phone etc seem extra committed to falling to the floor when working 

The Carpet Monster is magnetic (or attractive in some other way) 😚

43 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

How hard is to not talk about the dreaded P word? 

Forgive me but I have to ask, what is the dreaded P word

10 minutes ago, spaddad said:

It involves Westminster!

35 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

It involves Westminster!

Lovely car. The best that Austin ever made. I always wanted one but couldn't afford it.

The big problem is quite where the 'P' word ends and ordinary life and it's troubles and strifes begin. At the moment there is an awful lot of 'P' issues affecting many of our lives. Anything can turn 'P' if you let it and so even talking about the fortunes of a particular model manufacturer or even a particular model can turn 'P' if you let it. We are adults and I would say that the main duty of us all on this forum above and beyond avoiding outright P (because so many use it as a weapon against others) and Religion(for the same reasons) is that we be civil and respectful to each other without name calling, casting aspersions, calling other members character into question and being downright intolerant of people who don't agree with you. We don't live in a purely Black and White world (how dull would that be!) and so we have to learn how to deal with the colourful areas as best we can. 

I don't know about other members here but I have very little contact with people who have the ability to be civil, intelligent and open to discussion of the world and it's ways in my daily life outside of this terrific forum. It is more than a modelling forum and I have met some brilliant and interesting people on here. I hope that the colourful bits are preserved despite the determined efforts to shut them down.

Let's not let the P get on our chips though, as otherwise we'll have little choice but to shut you down.  :shrug:

It has been brought to our attention that tempers have been getting a little frayed in slow-motion over a period here, so I'm going to ask everyone to chill out, relax and shoot some B-ball. :hmmm:

Also, might I remind you that there's no P, no R and it's probably best to avoid football too, as that seems to be the next most likely non-modelling topic to get people running hot.  If you think you detect a troll, either ignore them (they hate that), or Report them as such.  I'm not saying that 3D Stewart is a troll before anyone starts, I'm simply saying that it's best not to engage in tit-for-tat angry postings.  Nip it in the bud and keep the thread open.  Let it fester, and the thread will close.  Alles klaar?

Yeah, my dad had the Wolsley badged variant.

Speaking of cars, I had to venture out today to a meeting in Norfolk. An hours comfortable drive, so I added an extra 20 minutes for comfort.

Once you leave the main road, it becomes narrow, twisty, and almost zero overtaking opportunities. I got stuck for miles behind a horse box, who was making good time. Passed him eventually, then further along, a Vectra estate pulls out in front of me; no need for it. Then proceeds along this twisting road at 20 mph, so slow he didn't have to brake for the bends. Now I know this road, he obviously does too. Coming up is a sharp left hander with a good quarter mile plus straight through open country, no hedges and you can see a good mile up the road. As I make the bend, I'm in second, indicate and start to overtake on the straight. Idiot features has done the same and floors it as I begin my manouevre. No need for it, just sheer cussedness. Probably thought it's only an old guy in a Volvo, I'll pee him off. Bad decision. 2 turbochargers on Volvo's most powerful diesel. Once I left him in the dust, he went back to pootling along at 20 again.

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Lovely car. The best that Austin ever made. I always wanted one but couldn't afford it.

16 minutes ago, Beardie said:

The big problem is quite where the 'P' word ends and ordinary life and it's troubles and strifes begin. At the moment there is an awful lot of 'P' issues affecting many of our lives. Anything can turn 'P' if you let it and so even talking about the fortunes of a particular model manufacturer or even a particular model can turn 'P' if you let it. We are adults and I would say that the main duty of us all on this forum above and beyond avoiding outright P (because so many use it as a weapon against others) and Religion(for the same reasons) is that we be civil and respectful to each other without name calling, casting aspersions, calling other members character into question and being downright intolerant of people who don't agree with you. We don't live in a purely Black and White world (how dull would that be!) and so we have to learn how to deal with the colourful areas as best we can. 

All right, who are you & what have you done with our Marty?

3 hours ago, spaddad said:

The dreaded P .... as in I drank too many pints of lemonade and I've only driven halfway home...  is that "the dreaded P" ?   :)

Edited by IanHx
Removal of P stains

Gents, there have been a few occasions where the language used in this thread has been below that what is expected and required for the site. Being grumpy is one thing, swearing is very much another. I am more than able to use a turn of phrase to upset or make a firm point if required with or without resorting to expletives. 

Additionally, the thread is open to all members. Therefore all members can drop in read and therefore make their own observations on the content or tone. It is disappointing to see that individuals are more than able to voice their own opinions as grumps/rants, but get their underwear in a twist when another member chimes in with a differing viewpoint in the form of funnily enough a grump or rant to those original opinions. The moderating and admin team are aware of this dichotomy and whilst this thread is supported currently, devolving into personal attacks for proposing a differing viewpoint will result in, as a minimum, the closure of this thread. The onus is on the participants to maintain the spirit of this thread as a place to escape to, and vent, not as a place of refuge from the normal behaviour expected on this site. 

8 hours ago, Mike said:

it's probably best to avoid football too,

I think you'll find that football comes under the R word Mike.....

17 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

I think you'll find that football comes under the R word Mike.....

Does 'Airfix'  count as an R too ?

Why the sudden habit, among Oz newsreaders and commentators at least, to change the pronunciation of the word "homage", pronounced as written, "homage", to the tediously sounding "omarge"?

Now, I'm well aware of the words French derivation and her populations likelihood and entitlement to pronounce the word in its French form.

Having used the English pronunciation all my life, to  hear it in its "new'" form smacks of some sort of self-deluding eletism.........  

Bloody silly, I reckon !

Rog

So. 

Is it just me, or is this little word creeping into the beginning of a conversation as a ‘placeholder’, whilst the brain gathers its thoughts?

Trevor

Massive grump,my son's been to Kenya on a safari holiday,due back today at 5:30pm he's just called to say he's got an earlier flight and it lands RIGHT in the middle of the second half of Englands match!.....

23 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

So. 

Is it just me, or is this little word creeping into the beginning of a conversation as a ‘placeholder’, whilst the brain gathers its thoughts?

Trevor

I reckon there are 2 schools of thought on this.

Some might think that - if immediately followed by a pause - starting a sentence thusly allows the other party/parties time to realise that you are about to ask them something,  so that they are actually listening when you start your question.

And then there are impatient people like me that think that the above is merely time-wasting and that the only statements that should start thusly are  "So what ?"   ,  "So which is it ?"  and "So what are you going to do about it ?"   :)

Edited by IanHx

3 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

Massive grump,my son's been to Kenya on a safari holiday,due back today at 5:30pm he's just called to say he's got an earlier flight and it lands RIGHT in the middle of the second half of Englands match!.....

I feel your pain....  the in- laws are visiting round about then !