This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

Does anybody give a grump?!!

Rather cranky, have been sick for 3 months now. Started with a dose of influenza mid June that flattened me, then came the nausea and stomach issues for a couple of weeks that climaxed with a visit to emergency, surgery and 10 days in hospital. Got out of hospital and went to the doctor where I picked up a cold, got over the cold to get a throat infection.....*sigh*...and I need to get stabbed again next week for a blood test...fun times!

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Regret as much as you like, but I am still of the same opinion. Maybe you deliberately misunderstood what I was saying, 

I don't think he did. You seem to me to be displaying a negative, even mocking attitude about climate change, as if any action that is taken is somehow defective or misplaced.  Perhaps some of it is not effective, or there's a touch of hypocrisy about some of the people involved with it, but that doesn't mean there isn't a real problem and that people shouldn't be trying to do something about it.

Personally I think this whole thread is a disgrace and a stain on Britmodeller and it's getting worse with time.  I hope Mike pulls it soon.

9 minutes ago, 3DStewart said:

Personally I think this whole thread is a disgrace and a stain on Britmodeller

What exactly is wrong with having a good old moan....

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Every one else does, except me. I've got to the age where I've forgotten what it's for.

Pour remuer son thé, peut-être? Just sayin John! :wicked:

19 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Pour remuer son thé, peut-être? Just sayin John! :wicked:

Good heavens!

Is that what you are calling it these days?

I think you English types have a tea fixation.

37 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Pour remuer son thé, peut-être? Just sayin John!

The very thought brought tears to my eyes!!

58 minutes ago, 3DStewart said:

I don't think he did. You seem to me to be displaying a negative, even mocking attitude about climate change, as if any action that is taken is somehow defective or misplaced.  Perhaps some of it is not effective, or there's a touch of hypocrisy about some of the people involved with it, but that doesn't mean there isn't a real problem and that people shouldn't be trying to do something about it.

Personally I think this whole thread is a disgrace and a stain on Britmodeller and it's getting worse with time.  I hope Mike pulls it soon.

I suspect that the last sentence says more about what you really want. It wouldn't be the first time that has happened. So if you think that you are going to get a rant from me over what you posted, you're sadly mistaken.

40 minutes ago, 3DStewart said:

Both yourself, Stewart @3DStewart and @lasermonkey are as entitled to your view as John @Bullbasket is to his. I see no mockery of Climate Change, it's a given.

However, don't you think the question we should be asking is "whatever we in the West do, can it have any effect?"

The total population of the EU stands at 513.5 million, World population is 7.53 Billion. If everybody within the EU recycled perfectly, and we reduce our collective

Carbon footprint to near Zero, would it have any bearing on the current state of the planet? For me, I think not. What HAS got to be done is 'In-House' recycling, i.e. where the waste is generated. The Chinese have made it clear they will only take from the rest of the World what they want to take.

China, India and Pakistan have a right to do what is best for their countries, BUT, with that right there are consequences, it's no good them saying "but you've had your turn" even though that's correct. What must be taken into account is the population. China 2017, estimated population, 1.39 Billion. The population of the World at the time of the Industrial Revolution (Mid 1700's) is estimated to have been 700 million......

As to the last comment, again, that's your view. Some of us think slightly different. Don't you think it would be boring if we were all the same?

Paul

Well I have to say that I am proudly doing my bit for the environment whether I like it or not. As a carer for my wife I am pretty POOR these days and I have never been terribly well off. I can only really afford to run our car to take my wife to hospital appointments and the like (the essential stuff), Haven't had a foreign holiday in the last twenty years (in fact barely had a holiday of any description) and can't afford to use too much electricity. I think there are quite a few million people like me within the UK not to mention the rest of Europe and yet we have to listen to wealthy people who globetrot and use resources like they are going out of fashion telling us that we are the bad ones. 

@JosephLalor The gas I was referring to was some horrible synthetic nasty called Sulfur Hexafluoride. Apparently it is being used widely throughout the modern electronics industry as a dielectric and is also used in casting magnesium among other things. It really is ghastly. It can even be converted by arcing into a chemical weapon with an effect similar to Phosgene that was considered for use as a chemical weapon during WWII.

I would like to pose a question to all on this thread.... are we, by our willingness to partake of the grump threads a disgrace and stain on the good name of Britmodeller and should we be removed forthwith by management?

Err....Nope. Having a grump at the stupidity of this world is quite normal. Whatever one's take on things, the lunatics have definitely taken over the asylum.

5 hours ago, 3DStewart said:

Then why visit it?

I worked a long time to become the curmudgeonly, grouchy old codger that I am to-day and I respect everyone's right to be grumpy.

The only real trick is to keep a sense of humour in your grumpiness.

Why, back in MY day everything was wonderful and there were no problems in all the world!

(Well except for racism, East/West Germany, Korea, Viet-nam, pollution and the fear that the Russians were gonna atom bomb us all back into the stone-age any minute. But hey!)

5 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Err....Nope. Having a grump at the stupidity of this world is quite normal. Whatever one's take on things, the lunatics have definitely taken over the asylum.

What, Again !

10 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Both yourself, Stewart @3DStewart and @lasermonkey are as entitled to your view as John @Bullbasket is to his. I see no mockery of Climate Change, it's a given.

However, don't you think the question we should be asking is "whatever we in the West do, can it have any effect?"

The total population of the EU stands at 513.5 million, World population is 7.53 Billion. If everybody within the EU recycled perfectly, and we reduce our collective

Carbon footprint to near Zero, would it have any bearing on the current state of the planet? For me, I think not. What HAS got to be done is 'In-House' recycling, i.e. where the waste is generated. The Chinese have made it clear they will only take from the rest of the World what they want to take.

China, India and Pakistan have a right to do what is best for their countries, BUT, with that right there are consequences, it's no good them saying "but you've had your turn" even though that's correct. What must be taken into account is the population. China 2017, estimated population, 1.39 Billion. The population of the World at the time of the Industrial Revolution (Mid 1700's) is estimated to have been 700 million......

As to the last comment, again, that's your view. Some of us think slightly different. Don't you think it would be boring if we were all the same?

Paul

Oh dear, the 'West' centric viewpoint. The biggest per capita polluter for generations has been the the place that considers itself the leader of the 'West'.

Given that many of the people of the world do not live with the trappings of Western excess, and that much of the worst damage that is being done in non-Western countries is either by Western corporates, or on behalf of them - ie the destruction of the Amazon and Indonesian rain forests - then it is a bit rich to adopt a holier than thou attitude.

And the great mass production facility that is China/Asia is polluting the world making all the stuff that used to be made in the UK, USA et al, but can be made more cheaply - and therefore more profitably, - by the UK and US companies that have closed all their local plants and now own/contract the Asian factories. My cheap and nasty but very expensive new 'British' Triumph motorcycle for instance.

The real problem that no-one will address is conspicuous consumption. If we all chose to live with what we need instead of having to have what we want, or worse, what the adman tells us, there could well be enough to go around.

11 hours ago, Beardie said:

I would like to pose a question to all on this thread.... are we, by our willingness to partake of the grump threads a disgrace and stain on the good name of Britmodeller and should we be removed forthwith by management?

Definitely not Marty! It's good for you to now and then, vent your spleen, so to speak, so long as it's done in a way that doesn't offend, and by offend, I mean exactly that, and not have a different opinion to others who won't accept it. If you remember, we had a perfectly ordinary thread going some time ago, albeit under a different title, where we could post similar material. But sadly, it got closed down because someone, I can't remember who, didn't agree with this type of thread, and upped the anti so much that the mods were forced to close it down.  As Ratch said in his post, if you don't like it, why visit it.

I hope that we can continue with this thread and that people posting will recongnise that there are boundaries and not cross them. If you don't like this thread, don't go there. There is a thread on here that I don't particularly like, so I don't go there, but I don't want to get it shut down just because it doesn't appeal to me.

John.

48768576431_c64ee7987c_b.jpg

Our local garden centre today.

IT’S. STILL. SEPTEMBER. :angry:

Trevor

8 hours ago, Kiwidave4 said:

The real problem that no-one will address is conspicuous consumption. If we all chose to live with what we need instead of having to have what we want, or worse, what the adman tells us, there could well be enough to go around.

To a point, I agree with you Dave, but if what you said was taken literally, would we need a holiday, would we need a TV, would we need a mobile phone (I seem to remember surviving without one 25 years ago). I think that it's less about having things that we want and more about going OTT in the things that we acquire. I'll give you a for instance. I turned on the TV at lunch time (not because I needed to, but because I wanted to), and I caught the end of the program on the Beeb about football. There was a small item about some overpaid professional player (I don't know who), who was seen carrying a ruck sack on his back, and the people in the studio were discussing how much said pro footballer had paid for the rucksack. Wait for it..........£6,400!!! Now maybe he needed a rucksack, but he certainly didn't need one that cost that amount.

And as for the adman having any influence in our house, they would be wasting their time. The mute or fast forward button gets hit as soon as the ads come on. I think that the last ad that I can remember was the Esso Blee Dooler:giggle:.

John.

15 hours ago, Ratch said:

Then why visit it?

Saying it's my problem if I'm annoyed at people behaving badly in public is a ridiculous defence.  Britmodeller isn't a private club, it's an international market square for model making, so if you're in a public place flicking the vees and sneering at things that are important to me (and others) than expect some reaction.  If this thread was only about life's minor irritations with a bit of humour thrown in, then it might not be my cup of tea, but I would pass quietly by.  But it's not. It's charged off into matters that concern how society orders itself and what it should prioritise in the future (i.e. politics) so it's taken on a very different form and is doing it in what seems to me a negative way that gives a misleading impression about the community of modelmakers. In short. it's a bad advert for the hobby. That's why I think it should be shut down.

Edited by 3DStewart

I think it actually gives the impression that modellers are a community of thinking people who question things rather than simply accepting what is forced upon us and who are chewing over the issues of modern life. I certainly don't think anyone is 'flicking the V's' or being bad mannered in the slightest except veiled accusations of lying and 'being a disgrace' to the community. 

I do have to say that I wasn't aware that Britmodeller was a 'market square' which implies that Mike designed it for trade and as a vehicle for profit. I thought it was a community.

31 minutes ago, 3DStewart said:

flicking the vees and sneering

As our tea bag coloured friend on the other side of the pond would say....fake news!

Well here's one that has really got up my nasal passages today, and no doubt others have experienced it. The latest update from Microsoft!! I'd been avoiding it for a couple of weeks, but I finally gave in this morning and downloaded it. I've had some long, slow updates in the past, but this one really took the biscuit.....three and a quarter hours. At one point, I thought that it had frozen as it stayed stuck on 27% for more than thirty minutes. Then when it finally finished and I was able to log in again, the first thing that came up was one of those cheesy messages saying "Hi, were going to make things better for you by adding some updates". swearing removed have you just spent the last three and quarter hours doing???? So now it's all back and working again, but as is usual after a big MS update, some things have slowed down. If I had any hair left, I'd probably be tearing it out right now.

John.

Edited by Greg B
swearing removed