This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

PhoenixII

Does anybody give a grump?!!

5 hours ago, Kiwidave4 said:

Having owned several cars with hoods - Morgan, Spridget, MGA, - I fail to understand how having the hood up can show off the engine.

An American car has a Hood, not a Bonnet. In American terms, what you are referring to is a 'Top', as in Hardtop or Softtop.

But you knew that anyway. :tease:

10 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

An American car has a Hood, not a Bonnet. In American terms, what you are referring to is a 'Top', as in Hardtop or Softtop.

But you knew that anyway. :tease:

Perhaps I did, but this is the Grump thread! 

It is unlikely that an American who owns a British car would refer to the bonnet when accessing the engine, so I am not convinced of the need to address the parts of an American car by their country of origin terms.  

What would you have said if it had been a Ferrari 250GT instead of a Cadillac? 

20 minutes ago, Kiwidave4 said:

Perhaps I did, but this is the Grump thread! 

It is unlikely that an American who owns a British car would refer to the bonnet when accessing the engine, so I am not convinced of the need to address the parts of an American car by their country of origin terms.  

What would you have said if it had been a Ferrari 250GT instead of a Cadillac? 

Considering the rear engine placement, the engine cover.

In the 50s and into the mid-late sixties, Ford UK had a T handle stamped 'HOOD' so my statement is accurate. :tease::tease::tease:

Ya know what I really hate?  :rant:

When somebody drives their car through the front door.

We had an elderly lady do just that the other day.

Mistook the go faster pedal for the stop pedal evidently.

Took out the door, two sidelights and a couple of showcases.

Most of the stuff in the cases survived intact amazingly. Just lots of broken glass.

No one was hurt fortunately, but it's gonna take a while to put things back together again.

Dealing with the insurance people will be one of the biggest hassles no doubt.

(side note, I say "boot", "bonnet" and "mudguards" just to annoy people over here...  :wicked:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

49 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Considering the rear engine placement, the engine cover.

In the 50s and into the mid-late sixties, Ford UK had a T handle stamped 'HOOD' so my statement is accurate. :tease::tease::tease:

Well you have me there, when I hear 250GT associated with Modena I assume front mounted V12.

But engine cover in Italian is not 'engine cover', so you are still applying different rules to different nationalities.

I dont recall any 'hood' handle on my trusty Anglebox van, but there again I dont think I looked under the bonnet in the six months I had it!

5 minutes ago, Kiwidave4 said:

I dont recall any 'hood' handle on my trusty Anglebox van, but there again I dont think I looked under the bonnet in the six months I had it!

Chrome, right in the middle of the dash, paired with the split heater controls.

I thought a hood was the arch enemy of International Rescue.

Afraid it doesn't let you put more than one icon on a post @Tzulscha So I couldn't put a sad face for the trouble you are having and a laughing one for your ornery use of bonnet, boot and mudguards so just had to put a 'like' to the post in general.

On 9/17/2019 at 8:50 PM, spaddad said:

Just noticed your avatar with your upward inflection plea. Thirty years ago or whatever it was when Neighbours & Home & Away first appeared on the telly I did try to fight it but no one took any action. I wrote to the prime minister suggesting an air & sea quarantine zone be set up around Oz & the shakies and that a bombing campaign be initiated against all 'stralian & Kiwi tv stations & production facilities but they did nothing. 

I believe Britain got their history around the wrong way... Dropping nuclear bombs on Australia before they invented "neighbours" and "gnome & away" was a serious mistake...

Australia failed to heed the warning.

6 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

side note, I say "boot", "bonnet" and "mudguards" just to annoy people over here...  :wicked:)

Good man, that's the spirit!

People who call you "buddy or bud" unless they are genuine American huckleberries.

Okay,what about windscreen,don't some other countries call it windshield?

9 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

Ya know what I really hate?  :rant:

When somebody drives their car through the front door.

We had an elderly lady do just that the other day.

Mistook the go faster pedal for the stop pedal evidently.

Took out the door, two sidelights and a couple of showcases.

Most of the stuff in the cases survived intact amazingly. Just lots of broken glass.

No one was hurt fortunately, but it's gonna take a while to put things back together again.

Dealing with the insurance people will be one of the biggest hassles no doubt.

(side note, I say "boot", "bonnet" and "mudguards" just to annoy people over here...  :wicked:)

Put happy laughing face for last comment/side note,had a brain fade.

On 18/09/2019 at 08:16, Bullbasket said:

One of the things that rattles my cage is the daily lecture on BBC Breakfast program usually telling us that we should all stop eating this and must only eat that. The trouble is that these people live in another world to real people. Today's lecture was along the lines of, we should all stop driving petrol/diesel vehicles and switch to emission free electric cars. Can you see the family man who is struggling to put food on the table for his family, being able to afford the ridiculously high price of one of these vehicles. Get real!

They were at it again this morning, although it was more like a report this time, instead of a lecture. This morning's topic? Global warming. Apparently, there are going to be demonstrations all over the world against global warming. Really?? Does that mean that thousands of people are going to take to the streets in China and India to protest against the building a many new coal fired power stations. I doubt it. Don't get me wrong. I am not somebody who poo poo's the idea, but until we get the likes of the aforementioned countries to tow the same line, we're wasting our time.

And as for the school children who are refusing to attend school today so that they can go on a demo. Are the parents going to be fined the same way that they would be if they had taken them out of class in school time so that they can go on holiday?  

And if anyone replies to this post, don't bring politics into it as it has sweet fanny adams to do with it. It's all about the usual bunch lecturing us on how to live our lives without having thought it through first.

John.

I'm sorry, but that "I'm not going to bother doing anything until everybody else does"line doesn't wash with me.. The overwhelming consensus of the scientific community says that climate change is real and is worse than we originally thought. You can do nothing and scoff at those who lead by example, but I can guarantee this much: our children and grandchildren will never forgive us.

I'm out if here now before I say something I'll regret.

Regret as much as you like, but I am still of the same opinion. Maybe you deliberately misunderstood what I was saying, I don't know. But I am all in favour of the WHOLE world doing something about climate change. But every day there is someone in the world who is sticking two fingers up at the rest of us. You don't have to look any further than what's coming out of S.America at the moment. 

And as for scoffing. Is that what people like me are doing when our opinions don't coincide with yours? There is a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to demonstrators. How did they arrive at said demo? How will they get home afterwards? 

And I stand by what I said about the daily feed of different "experts" telling us poor mortals how we should live our lives. We shouldn't be eating so much red meat because of the burping cows adding to the global warming. Did they ever stop to think that there are people in this world who cannot eat vegetables and that meat is their staple diet?

Sorry Mods if this has gone OTT, it was never my intention, so if you are going to pull it, please, just pull the topic and not the whole thread.

John.

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

They were at it again this morning, although it was more like a report this time, instead of a lecture. This morning's topic? Global warming. Apparently, there are going to be demonstrations all over the world against global warming. Really?? Does that mean that thousands of people are going to take to the streets in China and India to protest against the building a many new coal fired power stations. I doubt it. Don't get me wrong. I am not somebody who poo poo's the idea, but until we get the likes of the aforementioned countries to tow the same line, we're wasting our time.

And as for the school children who are refusing to attend school today so that they can go on a demo. Are the parents going to be fined the same way that they would be if they had taken them out of class in school time so that they can go on holiday?  

And if anyone replies to this post, don't bring politics into it as it has sweet fanny adams to do with it. It's all about the usual bunch lecturing us on how to live our lives without having thought it through first.

John.

I saw that as well,what really got me was the presenter asked someone she was interviewing why they couldn't do more faster...I don't know what they expect,perhaps the bloke being interviewed had lost his magic wand....

On 9/17/2019 at 10:30 PM, spaddad said:

With me it's Drawring. Almost everyone down here uses this pronunciation, why?   Also off of,  & bought & brought being apparently interchangeable,

I think that's an example of what's called the intrusive R, used in non-rhotic varieties of English.  It's similar to pronouncing words that end in a vowel as if they end in 'er', e.g. aurer for aura.

On 9/17/2019 at 11:57 PM, Beardie said:

Finally, I recently read an article which points out that in all this Eco Friendly electrical equipment they are using a man made gas whose name I forget to guard against electrical fires but which, it has been revealed, is a huge threat to the ozone layer, being a hundred times worse than CO2 as a greenhouse gas and will be for 1,000 years to come opposed to a fraction of that for CO2 and, to date the amount of this gas that has been lost to the atmosphere is equivalent to another one and a half million petrol cars being put on the road! 

Would that be the Halon family of gases?

Weather presenters who say that the temperature will be in the 'early 20's' Eh? Are we talking abouts its age here or a decade... it should be 'low' not 'early' :wtf:

Regards

Steve

29 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

I think that's an example of what's called the intrusive R, used in non-rhotic varieties of English.  It's similar to pronouncing words that end in a vowel as if they end in 'er', e.g. aurer for aura.

Darnce, charnce  etc. etc.

Hi John @Bullbasket, Vince @Vince1159 and @lasermonkey  just to give some facts.

1.) Population of the UK currently stands at 66 million+/-. This equates to .88% (POINT 88%) of the world population.*

2.) Population of France currently stands at 67 million+/-. This equates to .89% (POINT 89%) of the world population.*

(*) Close enough for Government work.

3.) The population of this spinning lump of rock we call home is currently 7.53 Billion. If you go back to 2000 it was then 6.12 Billion, a 1.41 Billion increase

in just under 20 years. Population has over doubled in the last 60 years, up from 3.03 Billion in 1960....anybody see a pattern?

4.) Global Climate Change is a fact, BUT, the weather is cyclical and we're overdue an Ice Age. Where does the 'blame' lie?

My guess, Mother Nature, who WILL control the population, by hook or by crook. Will it be a pandemic? do we have to have another war to thin the population?

Will it be Sea levels increasing? Has the genus Homo Sapien outlived it's usefulness? Will it be a case of 'Clear Deck and start over? NOBODY knows.

5.) If we do what WE can, we can't do more. There is a proportion of 'those in control' recognise the problem, sadly not all. Can we change their mind set? Doubtful.

6.) Worth remembering, the 'experts'** know as much as us, which is basically nowt! but are better at getting their idea across / are TV's 'talking heads'. 

Remember, there are many 'experts' who will gladly foist their ideas, then change horses a short way down the road.

(**) 'expert' - 'ex' meaning previous, 'spurt' - droplet of water under pressure. This was told to me by a Professor, and NOT impressed being referred to as one!

John, @Bullbasket and Vince @Vince1159 got to be remembered that the TV is playing to an audience which gets most of it's 'news' from social media and aren't as cynical as us! The older heads amongst us usually don't believe without question! plus, TV has to make a profit for the shareholders, facts are immaterial.

@lasermonkey, would suggest you don't believe everything you hear! John's beliefs are not nessarily yours, however, they are just as relevant. My Dad and his generation fought to remove totalitarianism, '39 - '45. John's point about India etc. has merit, sadly, the answer is a NO. The Governments of China, India and Pakistan have already stated the First World have had their turn, NOW, it's the Third World. John's other points, about the children being taken out of school, will there be fines imposed? How did the protesters get to where the protest is? The major problem is we (the silent majority) have gotten used to being preached at rather than engaged, and are having our thoughts manipulated by a (very) vocal minority, along the lines of 'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem'. Oh, were it that simple.

Paul

Addendum, John has a vested interest, he has Grandchildren. Me to, five of 'em.

Well said Paul, couldn't have put it better or more succinctly.

To take one of your points, basically, what you're saying is that all of our problems today with global warming can be put down to too much rumpy pumpy!:wicked:

John.

You John, are very, VERY naughty......but, quite probably right!

You do realise that now everybody on here knows what goes on in La Belle France? :whistle:

Paul

9 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

You do realise that now everybody on here knows what goes on in La Belle France

Every one else does, except me. I've got to the age where I've forgotten what it's for.